Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ProLine Range Hoods -- good or bad idea?

Posted by supadad33 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 13:40

So, for our 36" Wolf DF366 range, we've narrowed it down to the following 3 hoods:

1. ProLine PLZW 697.36, 1200CFM -- ~$900
This one looks great, but we're concerned about the company reputation, fan noise, and weak lights.

2. Best by Broan WT32I362SB - ~$760
This one looks pretty good, and we've read great things about the Best brand. Only concern is that it is a bit underpowered at 600 CFM. If we wanted to get a 1000 CFM Best, it would be over $2000.

3. Zephyr Venezia ZVE-E36BS -- ~$1140
This one also looks pretty good, and we've read pretty good things about the Zephyr brand. Only concern is that it is a bit underpowered at 715 CFM. Also, it's more expensive than the other 2.

We're really tempted to go with the ProLine, given its good looks, power, and price. But, we're big fans of doing our due diligence, and we just can't find enough info on the ProLine Range Hoods company, reliability, and performance.

Can anyone vouch for or against them???

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ProLine Range Hoods -- good or bad idea?

We've had a Proline 36" hood for almost a year. It works great, is well built and the price was the best we could find.
My only complaint is the lights.
Ours has 2 20W halogen lamps behind frosted glass lenses.
So not a lot of output.
But that aside, we think it's the best bang for the buck.
There's another poster on this forum that has been having a priblem with Proline since July.
Happily, we had no problems with them at all and found them very pleasant to deal with.

o

Thanks for your reply, willtv. I've seen your posts on this forum about ProLine via my searching. Are there really only 2 of you that have purchased ProLines?

As for the weak lights, how big of a deal is it? Does it make you angry that you bought a ProLine? Can you not put stronger lights in there yourself?

Thanks

o

Look, don't buy the Zephyr. I had one, over priced under performing pos. Looked good though - and that's all it did - look good. Wouldn't suck clean air in an empty room.

o

Hi there !

I have purchased a Proline unit in July. I can't comment on the quality because I am still waiting for the product. I have found the customer service terrible. It took me more than 1 month to find out my product was on backorder. No follow up by this company - I have had a terrible experience so far.
I do regret my purchase.

o

supadad, I don't find the lights to be too much of a problem although I wish they were brighter.
I don't think they can be raplaced with brighter lights because the electronics that drive them are built into the hood.
If you're seriously considering a Proline, you should call them and see if they've upgraded the lights.

o

I will chime in here - we just installed the 42" proline plzw 1200cfm hood. Looks great - 4 bright (warm) halogen lights . it's sort of loud but it's 1200cfm. I think all of the hoods are 'loud' but its really not bad unless on high high which sort of vibrates the floor - we call it 'air force one' and it makes us laugh.
looks great though it took forever to get - was supposed to ship first week of sept - we received last week in sept - so shipping was delayed. the price was right. i would have kicked myself in the you know what if i would have paid 2k for a VAH for the same basic idea.

o

My experience with Proline started out positive. I purchased a cylindrical island hood for an upcoming renovation. 3 weeks later I received a call that the unit had been damaged in shipping. I was understanding and ordered a somewhat similar hood. When we opened the box we realized that the charcoal filters had not been sent. As our hood does not vent outside of our loft these are obviously essential.
When I called, Proline apologized and said they would send the filters. They arrived a week later but were incorrect for my hood. Another call, another promise to send the correct filters. Again, these were incorrect.
All subsequent calls and emails have remained unanswered. They are actually ignoring me.
Since, I have registered a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Utah to try and have this resolved and received an email back from them today:
The Better Business Bureau has made two attempts to contact the business regarding the above referenced complaint. We regret to inform you that we have not received a response from the company.

This complaint case has now been closed as an UNANSWERED complaint in their file.

The Better Business Bureau develops and maintains Reliability Reports on companies across the United States and Canada. This information is available to the public and is frequently used by potential customers. In the case of your complaint, the company's failure to promptly give attention to the matter will be reflected in the report we give to consumers about them.

I am now stuck with a nice looking but completely useless range hood that I can not find filters for.

Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere!!

o

Yikes, sorry to hear about your bad experience Jamay11. In the end, we went with the Best by Broan hood, and it has been solid. We just couldn't bring ourselves to trust the unknown and seemingly (and now justifiably) sketchy ProLine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here