Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arley_gw

Which built-in induction cooktops have timers?

arley_gw
16 years ago

Greetings all:

I'm considering an induction cooktop for a cottage which will eventually house my mother-in-law.

While she's still very much "with it", from a safety standpoint I might want something that has a timer function so the induction hob doesn't stay on long term. Plus, she does a lot of pressure cooking; I think that with a timer, she could, in the immortal words of Ron Popeil, "set it and forget it."

By 'timer function' I mean something that actually shuts off power to the hob, not something that just beeps like a kitchen timer. (The new GE induction cooktop, for instance, has a timer, but it just beeps. The power to the hob still stays on. That's a bit of a disappointment because the cooktop otherwise seems pretty good.)

TIA for guidance--

Comments (21)

• klaa2
    16 years ago

Thermador Induction Cooktops have timers. I have the 362DS.

• pammo
    16 years ago

AEG cooktops have timers.

Here is a link that might be useful: AEG Induction Cooktop

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Brandt has timers with the turn-off function. Check AEG, Fagor, de Dietrich and Diva as well.

The turn-off timers are incredibly helpful. One of the best features of the cooktop-and there are many.

I have plans to install one in my parents' home- the 'I forgot the (gas) stove was on when I left the house' routine is really scaring me. Good foresight for your mom's future abode.

• arley_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, maybe I'm being a little harsh on GE and others. Now that I'm looking into it a little more, a lot of the brands have auto-shut off when a pan is not detected. That would make sense from a safety standpoint, and probably would be just as safe as a turn-off timer.

However, I think a turn-off timer would be useful for some applications; if you are an avid pressure cooker cook, the recipes generally call for cooking under pressure for a precise time period and then removing them from the heat.

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

Miele does have a timer. And Auto-heat function. I'm going to use it as Arley described: I set my pressure cooker with a soup on, can set the timer between 0 and 99 minutes. And leave the house and the soup is ready when I come back for lunch. That usually happens on Saturdays when I get the soup ready in the morning, leave the rest of the family to their own devices and go to the farmers market :-)

• Fori
    16 years ago

Induction simply won't do diddly without a pan on it--all induction cooktops have that feature! And I suspect that in most cases a forgotten pan will overheat and turn off the unit before anything serious happens. That's certainly not advertised as a feature, but it seems to me it's not a bad thing!

The turnoff timer does sound like a nice feature though.

• oskiebabu
    16 years ago

Many cooktops have timers. The new GE Profile and Monogram induction cooktops have timers. De Dietrich (some models) which can be bought at Blue Ridge Salon in , NC have timers.

I have gotten prices of $1,784 on the 36" GE Monogram--for one of the two or three most powerful induction units this is an unbelievable price. And it seems to be patterned after the De Dietrich top of the line model.

Greg

• arley_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, the GE induction cooktops do have timers, but according to the owner's manual I read online, they are no different from a kitchen timer; the power still flows to the hob even after the timer goes off. I guess I should have specified 'turn-off' timers in the query...

I agree, though, $1800 for such a powerful unit does seem like a great deal. After a few pioneers post their results here I might take a chance with it.

• livingthedream
    16 years ago

Do any of these REQUIRE the timer to be set in order to use the burner?

I love the timer feature on my Mr. Induction, but using the timer is an extra step, not the default. The unit might turn itself off before burning down the house even without the timer, but it doesn't stop pots from cooking to the point of being badly burnt. As someone whose home life is full of distractions, the extra second needed by a required-timer default would have saved me from having to clean many a burnt-on pot, and possibly a few boilovers.

• arley_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess the ideal induction hob would be one with pan detection (so it shuts down the power if no pan is there), with an optional timer function (that is, one that is NOT the default) that when used shuts off the power to the hob at the end of the specified time period.

From what I read, the Cooktek 'Apogee' countertop units do it that way, and so do certain built-ins.

• Fori
    16 years ago

Again, don't bother looking for an induction hob with pan detection--they all have it as a nature of the machine. With no magnetic pan, there is no heat. The heat is produced in the PAN, not the induction unit.

It seems that having a timer to turn off the unit at a specified time would be such a simple thing to include in a device so heavy on electronics--I wonder why they don't all have it.

• oskiebabu
    16 years ago

The top of the line De Dietrich DTI 309x at $2,300 from Blue Ridge Salon in North Carolina, which is the flagshipmodel of Fagor/Brandt, has a timer that shuts off on every burner. And it is almost identical in power to the GE monogram 36".

I have cooked for years on powerful gas units with no timers--to me it is no big deal. The Monogram and Profile have one timer that is like an alarm clock. If you have a drunken husband that cooks when he comes home early in the morning you have a safety issue--and another issue that goes beyond timers:-)

But I would get the De Dietrich DTI 309x if timers and a powerful unit are important to you.

Greg

• oskiebabu
    16 years ago

Lets say you use a timer set to 99 minutes and you boiled away everything in the pan before the timer was done. Uless your induction unit has a sensor, such as the GE & Profile units (and I;m sure most do) you would destroy and melt a pan. With the GE Monogram & Profile induction units it senses when the temperature of the pan rises beyond the set-temperature and automatically shouts off. This prevents any sever pan scorching or fires. So a timer by itself is not prevention device. The sensor is the prevention device.

Greg

• Heather Sadie
    last year

So far, in SA  I found the AEG induction hob has this VERY USEFUL feature.  I have worked out how long it take for certain foods, so I set the timers and go about my business. It is a great help to my busy schedule.

• piegirltoo
    2 months ago

I know this is an old thread, but I’m shopping for a new range with an induction cooktop. in 2006 i bought a fabulous DeDeitrich induction hob that had safety and convenience features I’m not finding today. Every burner had an optional shut-off timer. I especially loved this for things like rice. Every burner automatically shut itself off after (as I recall) sixty minutes of cook time. Not a problem as I would never leave anything unattended for that long anyway. The unit would also shut down if there was a spill-over or if a forgotten pan drastically overheated.

Now, eighteen years later, I am surprised to find none of these features on commonly available induction stoves. Hopefully someone here knows of one that doesn’t cost a fortune or has to be imported.

• jwvideo
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

If you are asking about burner timers for "fire and forget" cooking --- you set a timer for the burner to shut itself off (as for timing rice as described by the OP in this very old thread) ---- then, as wdccruise says, that feature is gone for built in induction appliances. We had a thread on this a year or two ago where somebody was able to point to an EU or UL safety standard that somehow required this. (Sorry, the thread is not turning up in searches.).

If you are asking about automatic shutoffs that activate without user intervention, numbers of cooktops and ranges have those including those made by Bosch. However, the time to shut-off varies by heat level. For example, at the high power setting, the auto shut-off time is 1 hr. but 10 hours at the burner's lowest power setting. See, for example, ¶ 7.8 on page 19 of the manual for the 30" Bosch "Industrial" induction range, https://pdf.lowes.com/productdocuments/3cb8c7b4-0279-4179-8df3-5f49a95242b1/61011557.pdf

As for shutting themselves down for a boil over, I've been seeing Bosch cooktops advertised with a feature called "ReStart" which is said to automatically shut down a burner in the case of boil over but saves the settings back to the same power level when you clean up the boilover and turn the burner back on. Near as I can tell, that's only with the cooktops and not the ranges

• piegirltoo
    2 months ago

Thanks so much for responding! My dream is to have both a timer with a shutdown for at least one burner AND automatic shutdown if someone fails to turn the stove off. It doesn’t seem like too much to ask. My old dedietrich had both. You have provided interesting insight!

• aem04
    2 months ago

@wdccruise and @jwvideo here is a screenshot from Bosch's website. What then is their "automatic shut-off" and "overheat protection"?

• jwvideo
    2 months ago

These are related but different systems.

Overheat protection simply shuts a burner (or burners) off when sensors detect the cooking surface is getting too hot for system electronics beneath it. That can be invoked by anything from an unattended pot bolling dry to somebody keeping four woks going at the same time, each on its burner's highest setting. When sensors underneath the cooking surface register temperatures rising above the set limit, the stove/cooktop shuts down to allow the surface and electronics to cool back down enough.

The auto shut-off timers, on the other hand, are a way of limiting the opportunity for inadvertent unattended overheating incidents. Bosch calls its version of this system "automatic time limitation." It is explained in the Bosch manuals like the one I linked to.. Here is an example of what the manuals say:

"If [an induction] cooking zone is used for a prolonged period of time without changes in the settings being made, the automatic time limitation function is triggered. The cooking zone stops heating. and the residual heat indicator ⁠/ flash alternately in the display. The indicator goes out when the control knob is set to 0. The cooking zone can now be reset. When the automatic time limitation is activated depends on the selected power level (from 1 to 10 hours)"

Basically, at the burner's lowest power setting, you can keep an unattended pot on warm for 10 hours with progressively shorter times for each higher power setting. At a burner's highest power setting, the unattended burner will time out at 1 hour. If you really want to use the highest power setting for many hours, you have to come back every 59 minutes and bump it down to another setting and then back to the setting you want.

Now, If your unattended pot boils dry before the automatic time limitation kicks in, the pot will get hotter and hotter until the overheat protection kicks on to shut off the burner(s) even if the automatic time limitation has not been exceeded. Likewise, our friend with all those woks on high may find the overheat protection kicking in before the 1 hour auto time limitation.

Does that answer your question?

• aem04
    2 months ago

@jwvideo yes, your reply was great, and totally answered my question. Thank you!