Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdorin_gw

Choosing kitchen appliances for a renovation

bdorin
11 years ago

Thank you all for this wonderful forum! I've been perusing it for a couple of months now while considering applicance choices for our new home we're remodeling. We finally went to the appliance store Friday and made some preliminary choices and I'd love your feed back. Let me start by saying we're renovating an older home on the Chesapeake Bay and this is the first time I've ever had the opportunity to choose the appliances for my home. While I am excited about that, it is a bit daunting due to my lack of experience! Currently, the home we live in came with Viking professional 36" cooktop and double ovens. I do love them and have had none of the service issues reported here so we must be very luck LOL. And, obviously, when we went to the appliance store everyone has steered us away from Viking due to the amount of service calls. I like the double wall ovens (as opposed to bending over with a conventional range), however I was very surprised when I was seduced by the Thermador 48" Pro Range with the steam oven (for preparing seafood) and the warming drawer. I've never had a warming draw, but I thought this would be a great extra perk and save me $1500 buying an additional appliance I'm not sure how much I would use. I also liked the griddle much better than Wolf, GE Monogram, Viking, etc. that we looked at. Our salesman also steered us away from indoor grills due to the lack of being able to clean them well and the lack of "flavor" that traditional grilling gives you. My husband and I do grill a lot and this was something we felt would be good for us so I'd really like to hear from any folks who have grills integrated with their ranges/cooktops on cleaning and performance. Price for the Termador $13,999.

Since we are really big on farm-to-table eating, a Sub Zero frig was a no brainer for us. I freeze very little. We have chosen the Sub Zero 48" Pro of all the Sub Zeros we looked at mainly for its design and looks. My husband does not like the ice in the bottom drawer though! So my question to this forum would be does Sub Zero really keep food fresher longer than any other dual compressor built-in? Price on Sub Zero 48" Pro is $15,970.

We chose the Miele speed oven for every day cooking and the Miele plumbed coffe maker. The dishwasher we went with Thermador for the savings and upgraded to their top of the line for an additional $600. I really wanted the Miele DW though based on your comments here, so it is worth the savings?

We chose a 26" Uline 1000 series for our wine cabinet, and a 48" Ventahood for the range hood with 3 blowers.

My quote clearly states at the bottom that it does not include delivery and installation. Is that normal?

Thanks everyone for your insight!

Comment (1)