Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyx5

Discontinued Sub Zero 736 vs. New Sub Zero IT 36

happyx5
10 years ago

We are in the middle of a new build and had planned to have Sub Zero 736 all fridge and all freezer units in the kitchen surrounded by cabinetry for a furniture look. Although we won't need appliances until Feb or March, I need to finalize the decision for the cabinet order.

I just found out that Sub Zero has discontinued the 736. Our appliance dealer said I could either order the 736 now while I still can, and they will hold it until March, or I can order the new Version which is similar but 4" taller, sight unseen (no one has one on display yet).

What would you do? Ordering the 736s when theyve been discontinued gives me pause - at the very least I feel like I shouldn't pay full price for them. But I don't like the idea of ordering the new ones either, I had a first generation 700TCI years ago that was nothing but headaches and am not up for that again!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (11)

• BKSAPPLIANCE
    10 years ago

As a general rule, I would shy away from anything "Brand New" designs, they are usually troublesome as not going with the "tried and true" methods of things that work for a certain company. Perfect example is when maytag came out with their front load series, straight from the drawing board into production, without much testing, whirlpool was smarter they bought out a company that was making front loaders for years, and introduced the duet series which is basically another companies design, with whirlpools name on it. Is there anything new or different about the series that would make them d/c the other one? Your basically buying a whirlpool built in fridge anyways, which most of Sub Zero has whirlpool parts.

• kaseki
    10 years ago

As long as one has the space, having appliances on hand can avoid many problems in cabinet fitting, electrical receptacle placement, and plumbing configuration. Otherwise, one is at the mercy of the accuracy of the installation drawings, and potentially at the mercy of the manufacturer not changing any dimension while working toward production.

The downside is that if one has an appliance for a few years on a drawn-out reno, then some of its warranty period will be lost. As I recall, SZ's warranty period starts when the unit is installed, or some (forgotten) number of years after the manufacturing date, whichever is sooner. Check with SZ.

kas

• happyx5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone.

xedos, what do you mean the 736 is not the best size anyway? The new model replacement is also 36" just 80" instead of 84" high. To me it doesnt make much difference size-wise. I did briefly consider Miele and therm models but i thought Miele was substantially more $ and thermador I thought did not make 36" columns, only 30"... But maybe I got that wrong. I've had sub zeros for 15+ years and while I certainly don't think they're perfect I guess I'm more of a "devil you know" type of person... The other brands being completely unknown to me.

• xedos
    10 years ago

yea- I re -read that and it sounds awful.

What I was trying to say is that the 736 is not the best 700 series model. The hinge design and drawer layout is clunky at that width - compared to the original 27" models. Moreso compared with 36" fully integrated models form other brands. (mentioned already).

I would not buy a 736 unless I got one at 50% + off of retail. Only way you'll do that is to be johnny on the spot when a showroom is desperate to get rid of their display, which is unlikely in your timeframe.

That doesn't lend itself to planning now, and you'd still have $4500 + fridge with a 20yr old design.

I'm a SZ kinda person too (half dozen or so around) , but I've got a Gaggenau and GE Monogram built in also. I'd skip the monogram unless it was given to me, but the T'dor,Miele,Gaggenau are all top shelf units with a good track record now.

Here is a link that might be useful: T'dor , teed up for ya

• happyx5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks forthe explanation and the link! Since I'm planning fully integrated (wood paneled) fridge/freezer I think that's why I was told thermador didn't make them in 36... Basically need the freedom columns for that, right? I may hunt for floor models in the next 4 months and if I don't find them for 736, make a decision to order something else. Maybe the cabinet maker can make everything but the panels for the fridge and freezer and stacked cabs above them until I figure it out.

• xedos
    10 years ago

" Since I'm planning fully integrated (wood paneled) fridge/freezer I think that's why I was told thermador didn't make them in 36 "

You either ran into a sales weasel who didn't have access to Thermador and wanted to sell you something else

-or-

an ignoramus who didn't know any better. That is curable though.

The link's picture shows a stainless version, but it's the same exact unit less the " stainless panel accessory package"

the custom panel model is: T36IB800SP (linked)

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

I think part of the reason why the new integrated SZ units are taller is because they will now include an air purifier and a water filter for the ice maker in-unit. Those are the two primary new features; it's just my guess that's a primary reason why they're taller.... or maybe they're taller so they can better replace other SZ units (built-ins) that are already 84"...

I just got a Rev B 700TCI this year; otherwise, I would have no problem committing to the new version sight unseen. It's their integrated line... you already know what they're going to look like (same, but 4" taller). To me, it's a no-brainer.

• xedos
    10 years ago

Fox, I'm not so sure the filters are what add to the height.

They added those features to the 6xx lineup when they revamp into the current generation and there was no height change.

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

The water filter is located on the top; that adds some to the height. Also, in comparing the installation guides, each compartment is slightly (not much) taller in the new integrated units.

Below is a link to a video on the new integrated units. I'm not so sure about the new touchpad, though. The soft close on doors and drawers, and adjustable LED lights look really nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sub-Zero New Generation Integrated YouTube Video

This post was edited by FoxCrane on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 21:45

• xedos
    10 years ago

Fox, I'm not so sure the filters are what add to the height.

They added those features to the 6xx lineup when they revamp into the current generation and there was no height change.