Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
putting a built-in microwave in a base cabinet?

Posted by Karen.1288 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 13:10

We do not have space in the upper portion of our kitchen for a regular microwave, and do not want to monopolize valuable countertop space for one. I also am trying not to spend $750 on a microwave drawer. Has anyone put a regular built in one in a base cabinet and if so, do you like it? or is it terrible? thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: putting a built-in microwave in a base cabinet?

Great for kids. Horrible for adults that need to read the displays unless you are young and limber enough to crouch down to do so.

o

Friends of ours had a "cubby" built into their base cabinets, with an electrical outlet. They put their counter-top style microwave in there. We are doing the same thing but above our wall oven. That way, when it dies, we toss it and plug in a new one. One custom fitting or trims to deal with. It is something to consider.

o
typo

Instead of "one custom fitting" I meant to say *no* custom fitting or trims to deal with.

o

We bought a Panasonic model (NN-797SN I believe) from Costco and the associated 27" base cabinet trim kit from Amazon. It worked out to be cheaper (about $300 for both) then buying the Sharp microwave drawer, which BTW seemed to have quite a few bad reviews. Our kitchen isn't done yet so haven't used it on daily basis. I can see how people would have trouble with the ergonomics of it, but we don't use the microwave a whole lot so not too worried about it.

o

Be careful with putting countertop microwaves in a cubby below the countertop - some MWs require a few inches of airspace above, to the sides of, and/or behind them and are not designed to be built in (except with their optional matching trim kit, which has air vent grilles but takes up the extra space you were trying to save). I prefer true built-in microwaves for this application (or the multi-use GE Advantium 120 30"w wall oven, if you have the width).

o

I have the Panasonic. <$400 incl trim kit. I agree, it is more inconvenient than having it at eye level, however currently we are young and mobile and can bend down pretty easily to set specific times. Well worth not taking up counter space or having an OTR. It's in a 27" cabinet that was designed for a micro (see 2nd pic)
I used to apologize for fingerprints, as this pic was taken during construction... however I've come to learn there will ALWAYS be fingerprints (and I can live with that!) :)
under counter micro
new island in
38 inch clearance b/w island &amp; pantry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here