Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Commercial dishwasher?

John Liu
14 years ago

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but my search did not turn anything up.

I am starting to plan a kitchen remodel, and am investigating appliance options.

Has anyone used a commercial dishwasher, and have thoughts about how one might work in a residential kitchen?

I see that some models will fit under a counter. I am intrigued by the idea of loading dishes in a rack placed on the counter then sliding the rack into the dishwasher and having washed dishes at 180F just 180 seconds later. I wonder if this might enable:

- less repeated bending over (to reach the bottom rack in a residential dishwasher)

- more efficient loading/unloading (maybe could even store the dishes in the rack, on a slide-out cabinet shelf)

- faster cleanup (wash everything - pots, pans, dishes, flatware/glassware in a couple runs of the dishwasher, rather than starting the dishes and handwashing the pots and pans while waiting for the dishwasher to finish).

What are the disadvantages of a commercial dishwasher? Besides cost and appearance, of course. Are they tougher on the dishes? Or very noisy (and does it matter, if the noise only lasts 180 seconds)? Require unusual plumbing or electrical?

Comments (13)

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

Fagor commercial dishwasher fits standard residential cut out
    reg cycle 2 minutes heavy duty cycle 3 minutes at those times who cares about noise level

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

There is an FAQ on the subject.

However, I do see that the "commercial range" FAQ is wildly out of date as currently it is against code to install a commercial range in the home in most jurisdictions. Any code that is based on the International Fuel Gas Code (going back to at least 2003, from what I can tell) will include wording along the lines of Section 623.2: Prohibited location.

Cooking appliances designed, tested, listed and labeled for use in commercial occupancies shall not be installed within dwelling units or within any area where domestic cooking operations occur.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

La Cornue and La Canche are commercial ranges and half of New York had Garland commercial ranges in their apartments and most of California had Wolf commercial units in their homes, not to mention the amount of people who have Traulsen commercial refrigerators and the others who have True commercial refrigeration in theirs. Disclaimers are just to keep the lawyers off the manufacturers

• histokitch
    14 years ago

They are very expensive and take a lot of power (240v 50hz). Miele's undercounter commercial dw runs about $5000. Fagor's is about $3000. The 2-10 minute cycle may make it worthwhile for you, though. I don't think there would be much of a code problem installing one, but it's a good idea to investigate. Commercial ranges are a different animal entirely.

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

I used a commercial dishwasher in my son's restaurant for 3 years. They sterilize they do not wash. You must wash every single item in hot soapy water prior to placing it in the unit for the 2 min cycle. This is stated on a notice on the side of the machine.

They are very noisy and they spew steam and water from around the door. Go to a local restaurant where you know the staff and watch for 30 minutes while standing as near as you can. I think it will convince you that they are not for the home LOL. I never want to see one again...lots and lots of hard work for a late 50's woman believe me !

• histokitch
    14 years ago

Actually, both of the undercounter ones mentioned above take standard detergent.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry - I didn't know about the FAQs (new here).

• John Liu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I used a Hobart undercounter commercial dishwasher this weekend. I liked it a lot - the speed especially, but also the steaming hot dishes that emerge. I'm not one to dump dishes with food waste in the dishwasher, I already scrape, rinse, and brush off any dish that goes in my existing dishwasher. So I will be including such a machine in my kitchen plans - although, to be honest, it'll be the first luxury splurge to be cut if budget requires, and at $3,500+, budget may well require.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Well, it will be LOUD. And it probably doesn't dry.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is actually not much louder than my current dishwasher. The loudest part was when the dishwasher drains. And the Hobart is loud for only 2 minutes whereas my Frigidaire is less loud but goes on for what seems like an hour. I can put up with that tradeoff.

No, it doesn't dry, but a rack of steaming hot dishes set on the counter seemed to air-dry pretty well.

I like the idea of getting a big dinner party washed up and put away quickly. Right now we fill the dishwasher, start it running, then are still up hand-washing and drying the excess until past midnight.

• histokitch
    14 years ago

I think it sounds like a good option for your project and the way you are planning to use your kitchen. I also think it will look cool in your new/old space. You understand the pros and cons, so why not? I would have gotten the Miele version if I wasn't sinking half my appliance budget into my refrigerator. Does your old house have the wiring available?

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

Well this has been interesting :)

• John Liu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Hobart currently comes in a 120V version. Most others - CMA, JetTech, etc - seem to need 240V. I would prefer heat sanitization over chemical sanitization, and 240v would probably speed the heatup.

We will eventually want 240V in the house for SWMBO's planned pottery studio (kilns run on 240V) and will eventually need a larger panel for the basement suite project (visiting friends, aging parents etc). So might as well bite the bullet and get the electrical upgraded tout suite.

I'm still looking for reviews, opinions, ratings, etc of commercial appliances. There don't seem to be hobbyist websites where restaurant dishboys enthusiastically debate Hobart versus CMA, heat sanitization versus chemical, and how they just l-o-v-e doing dishes since their restaurant got the shiny new dishwasher. (Imagine that.)