Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wording of induction/oven in manual - possible or not?

Posted by tnsongbird (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 12:58

To begin, I have read a ton of postings regarding a similar issue on whether it's possible to do an induction cooktop over a wall oven within a 25" counter space. Yes, it is, but that's not where my question ends...

I am hoping to do the above scenario w/the Electrolux combo that is specified for this. However, I was ALSO going to do a downdraft (a hood is not an option for me). When I read the Electrolux manual online, it states:

**Approved to be used over any Electrolux Single Wall Oven
OR in combination with any Electrolux 36" Downdraft Vent."

which tells me that it's an either-or scenario, not both. That being said, I DO have the option of increasing the countertop size to an extra 16" behind there. Here's my question: is it possible to do all three - induction cooktop, wall oven under, AND downdraft? without voiding warranties, etc and just utilizing the extra counter space for it?

I had my first kitchen designer appointment yesterday (whole other story, what an awful experience and she was clueless) and had hoped to clarify this then, especially since I let them know all the specifics in advance. They are supposed to be calling me back but given the experience on this board I thought I'd post the question here, too, if I'm missing anything.

We are building a home with ICFs and slab foundation so I think I really need to clarify exactly what my oven venting scenario is going to be before passing off the plans to the ICF guys, which was going to be tomorrow. Ugh! If they made a 36" induction slide-in I would just do that, but they don't seem to make one.

Originally I thought I could get away with no venting (I had a downdraft at my last home with a gas stove and never used it in 6 years) and my GC feels we'll be fine with whatever the mfg requirements are, but the designer is telling me our county is really picky about it w/codes and it won't fly without any venting. Not to mention it's an ICF build, so I would think I should have it regardless since it's such a tight air envelope.

Sorry for the long post! Just a major snag I need to work through ASAP and feel I've exhausted all options. Guess I might need to reconfigure where the oven goes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wording of induction/oven in manual - possible or not?

Chris Polk is sometimes on this forum. S/he works for Elux and might be able to find an answer to your question. Here's the info.

Chris Polk
Online Outreach Representative
Electrolux Major Appliances, North America
Chris.Polk@Electrolux.com

o

No, you cannot have a downdraft and a wall oven occupy the same space. An overhead vent will always pass code inspections and let you have the cooktop over the wall oven. It does NOT have to be intrusive. And it's MUCH more effective.

o

My first answer would be: Sure. I guess the only issue would be space inside the cabinet between the back of the oven and the downdraft unit.

My second answer would be: don't expect Electrolux to test their cooktops with any other manufacturer's ovens. Or visa versa. I mean, why would they want to promote somebody else's product?

o

How deep is this oven? That determines how deep (i.e., far away from the cooktop) your downdraft thingy has to be. And that may be the pragmatic problem with this plan.

If you're able to do this, you may discover that the oven pushes your downdraft so far away from the cooktop that it doesn't do any good to turn it on. That's not good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here