Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooke123_gw

advantium in base cabinet

cooke123
16 years ago

my appliance guy claims that he was told in a GE seminar that one couldn't install an advantium in a base cabinet; even though he could not find anything in GE catalogues.

Could it be only applicable when the countertops are glued rather than solid stone. I can only speculate that this involves a heat problem.

Comments (31)

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Directly from page 3 of the installation instructions:

* This oven must be installed at least 36" above the floor.

and

* This oven is not approved for use above another built-in Speedcook oven, side by side or under the countertop installations.

And your "appliance guy" couldn't find this...hmmmm

Here is a link that might be useful: Advantium (Profile & Monogram) Installation Instructions

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    16 years ago

beat me too it buehl

• cooke123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. The bad news is that I don't have room for an Advantium.

The "appliance guy" might have been neglectful about reading the manual fully, but he gave me some great prices.--maybe he misread the price guide also LOL.

• jeri
    16 years ago

Cooke123 - People have put the built-in Advantium 120 in a base cabinet and even received GE's approval. Here is a recent thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Advantium in Base Cabinet

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I called GE about this and they told me it would void my warranty if I installed in in my island. The reason GE gave me was that it is dangerous to bend for hot food, which sounds ridiculous since ovens are installed under-counter all the time, as are microwaves. Go figure.

So - I am installing it at counter level with drawers below and cabinet above. My cabinet guy is modifying a microwave cabinet for it.

• shequit
    16 years ago

buehl - I read it also,after the fact, of having both my larger oven and the 120 delivered. I called GE (call is documented)and the rep told me no problem re under-counter install of the 120. I have used the warranty twice in the last 10 months since both ovens have been installed without charge. I am not sure why they recommend the higher installation but I have had no problems and good service.

• fiorita
    16 years ago

Shequit-

Do you have the name of the rep you spoke with? I too am considering under counter installation of the Advantium and the woman I spoke with at GE very curtly told me no, the Advantium could not be installed under the counter, no exceptions, despite my mentioning that people on this web site had been told by GE reps that it was allowable.

Thanks!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

The woman I spoke with had to go and ask someone and then she came back and said no. They need to get their act together.

• cooke123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I spoke with Jeromia at Gabowitz appliance in NJ-732-257-7946

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Cooke123-
    I have the built-in 240 version in my island. I've had this arrangement for 3 years now. No problems. I placed quite a few calls to GE before I told my builder what I wanted to do. No one would tell my why it couldn't be done...only that it hadn't been tested at that height. I had several folks speculate as to why (safety issues), but no one could give me a real answer.

I have a marble counter. It doesn't ever get hot on the counter when I use the MW or the Speedcook. If I'm Speedcooking a long recipe, the countertop may get a little warm...but no more so (not even as much as, really) than the area that gets warm from the DW.

I have 4 kids. The youngest was 4 when we moved in. I've never had any safety concerns/issues regarding the kids.

As to personal preference, I far prefer the machine in the base cabinet. In my previous house, I had the 240 version over-the-counter. I was never comfortable about having to steady something hot and bringing it down to the counter. I find it much easier to lift up to the counter. Maybe years down the road, I'll feel differently!! But for now, it works!

Good luck!

{{gwi:1472685}}

• cooke123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank You. I'd love to have this appliance in my new kitchen which would otherwise have only one oven. The convenience of a smaller unit would also limit the use of a large oven. I've been wavering back and forth; hope it's not too late to reorder.

• shequit
    16 years ago

fiorita - sorry - been out of town.
    The person I spoke with on 1-8-07 was Jason and he told me no problem with an undercounter install. As I think I said, I have used the warranty twice since then - no charge. Sounds like which rep you get. When I called for service, I was not asked any questions re where the oven is installed and the techie who came had no problem either times re the install.
    Hope this helps you.

• outonalimb_2007
    16 years ago

I had originally thought to put an Advantium in my island, but my KD was really hesitant given the state of GE's literature -- didn't want me running into a problem later, although given the comments above that looks unlikely. After much discussion and layout revision, we have now put it into an oven cabinet at about my chest height (I am 5'0") -- to make getting things in and out the easiest. Below the Advanium will be a pantry cab--drawers with pull-put shelves (I have lots of drawers elsewhere) and on top will be slots for platters/cookie storage and one fixed shelf. Its a small kitchen so fitting everything I want in has been a challenge, but I think this will work well. Good luck --

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

I customized my "base microwave" cabinet to fit an advantium. I made it 6" taller, among other things. The basket cabinet to the side is standard ht. I really wouldn't want it lower, as the controls need to be read and operated. Also bending so low to check the progress, etc., not so much fun.

Casey

• shequit
    16 years ago

momto4 - I'm with you regarding it is easier to lift hot dishes to the counter than bring them down from above. On speedcook my counter also gets warm a bit but surely not hot. No more so than the counter over my dishwasher.

sombreuil - great idea about height of the oven. If it can work for a person's design, I think it is super. Looks like you have a "landing" next to it for the hot dishes. Good job.

• oldhometara
    16 years ago

Just wanted to share my good news w/anyone who does a search for threads on advantium/base cabinets/island, as I did at one point. I recently had my new advantium installed in a base cabinet in the kitchen island. After just 2 weeks of minor use, the advantium suddenly stopped working - completely dead! I was so nervous when the GE technician arrived today, that we would have trouble. But he didn't say a word about where we have it installed. He fixed the problem (electrician may have installed incorrectly so a bulb blew). He was pleasant, in and out of the house in just a few minutes with no trouble at all. What a relief!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

bump.....considering this and wondering if anyone else can comment. Thanks

• ken_from_md
    15 years ago

We mounted our 240 under the counter as well, similar to momto4kids' setup. No need for service yet, but it has been in over a year with no issues of heat, moisture or anything else. The appliance store that we bought it from, GE distributors, modified the base cabinet and installed it for us, never mentioning any concerns.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

My close to final plan does have the advantium in a lower cabinet. Anyone that has done this recently? Do you regret it? Any issues? Thanks

• jacobsmishpacha
    15 years ago

I actually have two Advantiums- one in a base cabinet and one over an oven. I prefer the one in the base cabinet and find it easier to reach into. The only problem with our unit in the base cabinet is that the knob sometimes gets bumped and I worry that someone may inadvertently turn it on. I wouldn't locate it in an area where you would frequently be standing and doing prep or clean-up.

• capesunseting
    14 years ago

I too would really like to put an Advantium in my island. Has anyone that has done this recently? Do you regret it? Any issues?

The other option would be to put an Advantium Over the Range model on a shelf inside a cabinet above the countertop. Can that be done?

Thanks.

• gsmama
    13 years ago

bump. Any new perspectives?

• sophie123
    12 years ago

I see now that the 120V model can be installed undercounter (press release by GE). So again i wonder why it matters if its a personal safety issue - it seems like to would apply to both 120V and 240V model.

Also an appliance saleswoman told me that GE just hasn't tested it and that's why they don't approve it. (and she said it was ok to install undercounter too and quoted it as such).

• Scott Adelman
    4 years ago

It is now 2020 and we are encountering the same issue. We would like to put a GE Advantium 240 Speed Oven in our island. Does anyone have any follow up on this issue especially those who had the oven installed in an island? Any long term issues? Thoughts about going this route? Thanks in advance.

• Karen Burns
    3 years ago

Did you install in an island?

• kooks kooky
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Abby @Scott Adelman did either of you end up installing the 240 under the counter?! pls let us know if you did :)

• Abby
    2 years ago

We sure did! Wasn’t willing to change the whole kitchen design last minute. It’s completely fine! We use the oven function all the time, have 3 little kids, and have never had any issues with it being hot to the touch. The countertop is marble which is also fine. Really can’t understand why there are specifics for being installed higher other than they just didn’t test it for lower.

• Abby
    2 years ago

Also - having kids I much prefer it lower. It would be such a hassle if they had to constantly use a stool and then reach up and over the door to ever use the microwave function. It’s a great appliance for everyone, and I’m glad we splurged on it!

• kooks kooky
    2 years ago

@Abby thanks a million for the update! Feel much better about going ahead w the advantium in my island! i wasnt too excited w the idea of settling for the bosch speedoven (terrible reviews) or having to get the miele (more than i wanted to spend)! thanks so much!

• Julia Thomas
    2 years ago

I am ordering cabinets for my new kitchen, and my cabinet maker thinks I can't put an advantium above a ge oven. I can't find anything that would make that an issue. Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem?

Thank you in advance