Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Cleaning the interior of the glass on a wall oven

sjhockeyfan325
9 years ago

What should I use to get off what seems to baked on grease and grime?

Comments (15)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Read the user's manual and do what the manufacturer recommends.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any other suggestions?

• weissman
    9 years ago

I would try COLD Easy Off.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

weissman, is that a particular KIND of easy off, or do you mean cold, as in refrigerated?

• poppy214
    9 years ago

Weissman means don't preheat your oven. You can use regular EasyOff in a cold oven and it works just fine.

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

I have used the razor blade that came with the ceramic electric stove for cleaning the top with a paste of baking soda,

• weissman
    9 years ago

They make a special version of Easy Off that's meant to be used without heating the oven. I just checked and it's actually call Easy Off Fume Free Max. No, you don't refrigerate it.

• Karl Lonieski
    9 years ago

I also use a razor blade with great success!

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

Razor blade and a little bit of water works for me.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I just found this today. Need to clean my oven too without ruining it. This seems to be pretty safe for your oven.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Clean your Oven {Safely}

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Hope you mean the glass that faces the inside of the oven, which is easy. If you mean between the glass on the door, that is a bit more challenging.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I couldn't find Easy Off Max except on line so I bought a version of Goo Gone, which did absolutely nothing. Then I tried baking soda. Nothing. Lastly, I'm trying BarKeepers Friend, and between soaking it overnight and a fair bit of muscle, it seem to be working, although I'll definitely need to use the razor blade to get off the last bits (do you know how hard it is to buy a razor blade these days?).

Today's question is, what is the most abrasive type of pad I can use without scratching the glass? So far I've only used a blue scrubbie.

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

You can get Easy Off Fume Free (or the original Lye based version) at any Walmart store. I now use fume free exclusively and it work like a charm if you give it time. It takes a couple of hours to work. I respray to keep it wet. You will need to know how to get to the surfaces you want to clean. I once got cleanser between the glass and the only way to get at it was to take the door apart. Avoid that!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got it done, using a combination of Barkeepers Friend, a blue scrubbie and a Scrub Daddy (the blue scrubbie probably would have worked if I'd stuck with it longer), a razor blade (which I did find at a hardware store with a very clever little contraption to hold it, including a way to store the blade side facing in).

Now the question is, how do I prevent splatters like this from occurring? And/or, would it not have been such a problem if I had cleaned the glass immediately after whatever it was I was cooking caused the problem?

Here is a link that might be useful: Scrub Daddy sponge

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I think you already got it done, but just wanted to add that after doing the self-clean cycle and cleaning all that up, there was still gunk on the glass door.

So I mixed up a paste of Bar Keeper's Friend and hot water, rubbed that on the inside of the open door and let it sit for a while. Then scrubbed with a scrubby pad that I use for the sink. It feels scratchy, but is labeled as non-abrasive, so it doesn't actually scratch.

Then for the stuff that was left (baked on grease), I used the razor blade tool (shown above) to carefully scrape off all the little bits that were left. Since I had just done the first scrub, the grease bits were soft and required only a delicate touch to get them off, but it took a while since I wanted to be careful. I don't think I'd want to start scraping with the razor blade on hardened grease bits, so the first step seems important. This part required putting on my reading glasses!

It sparkled for a while, but then Thanksgiving came and I have to do it again this week!