Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

ISO - Wall Mounted Chiney Style Hood w/ 24"+ Depth?

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

Looking for some options that are Wall Mounted Chimney Style 36" Hood w/ 24"+ Depth?

Only one I see so far is below:

Elica Rimini 36" Hood

Comments (9)

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since gw.com doesn't like free advertising for outside vendors see below for manufacturer details.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elica Rimini 36

• kaseki
    11 years ago

You can Google this site for messages containing the word "hood" and then visit the manufacturer's sites of all the brands you find mentioned.

Or you can visit on-line suppliers such as AJ Madison and scan through the many examples listed.

kas

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kas- already did that.
    no luck. All I found was the Elica.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Have you tried Modern-Aire?

Most of their wall mount hoods are 24" deep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern-Aire hood

• 1_ohio_bald_eagle
    11 years ago

Question - PBX2
    Why do you feel the need for a 24" plus deep hood?

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@GLB_Guy:

Based here on poster kaseki's guidelines of proper smoke expansion capture - it basically stands to reason that smoke rises & expands in all directions.

If you got coverage on the sides by overlapping the stove top's edges, then you need to cover its back & front also.

& since most cooking is done on the front burners on a wall mounted hood, anything less than 24" isn't going stop that smoke.

Hope that helps.

• lwerner
    11 years ago

I'm going to be doing the same search for a 24" or 27" inch deep hood in ~4 months. I'm hoping to do 27" or even 30" deep lower cabinets on the wall where my cooktop will live, to give me a deeper counter behind the cooktop for large pots and to allow for deeper cabinets up top. Plus more counter space is good in general.

If I do that, I'll either need a deeper hood or I'll need to add blocking to prop a shallower one out from the wall. That would probably work with a cabinet or soffit above the hood, but not with a chimney-style hood.

If I go the chimney hood route, ModernAire seems to be the right choice because they can do custom sizes depths. They also seem to have a continuous slider control for the fan speed rather than a 3-speed one, which I like. (I'm going to have a roof-mounted blower.) ModernAire is super pricy, though, especially for custom sizes. If anyone knows of other brands with these features, please post them!

Hijacking a bit:

On the subject of deep counters... I'm hoping to do 27" lower cabinets (28.5" counters) with 15" deep upper cabinets. This would violate the letter of the 'upper cabinets no more than 13" deep' rule that I've seen in some cooktop and range manufacturers' installation instructions. I don't think it violates the spirit, since the cooktop would be pulled out too and there would be less depth of cabinet along the cooktop edges than there would be with 24" lowers and 13" uppers.

Has anyone tried that? What did the inspectors say? I know I need to talk to my local inspector (or have my contractor do so) but I figured I'd ask here too.

Laura

• PeterH2
    11 years ago

> This would violate the letter of the 'upper cabinets no more than 13" deep' rule that
    > I've seen in some cooktop and range manufacturers' installation instructions.

I think a more reasonable interpretation of the instructions that I have seen is to measure from the back of the cooktop/rangetop to the front of the cabinet. But inspectors are not always reasonable (or even rational).

We plan to do the same as you. I have two options if the inspector is unreasonable:

1. Get a letter from the manufacturer clarifying the requirement.

2. Bump out the backsplash to the back of the rangetop with a minimum-cost panel of some kind (e.g. cheap DIY tile over plywood). Once the inspector is gone, the panel can simply be removed to provide the additional pan clearance behind.

• lwerner
    11 years ago

Both good ideas. Thanks for the response! And I'll ask my contractor and kitchen designer what their experiences with the local inspectors are. So far all the building and planning department folks I've talked to have been pretty reasonable.

Laura