Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivntx

northland all refrigerator and all freezer

vivntx
12 years ago

we are looking at the northland 30ar ws all refrig and freezer and also the electerolux icone32af75jps.

I saw earlier posts regarding the temp problem with the electrolux. Has that problem been resolved ?

Comments (11)

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

I can't speak to the Electrolux or the all 'fridge or all freezer Northlands, but I do have a counter depth 48" 'fridge/freezer Northland. The Northland is definately loud (for a 'fidge) but seems to hold temperature fairly well. How loud? Well, more loud than the GE Profile my in-laws have but less loud than the industrial units at my work. In a quiet house you can discern the noise it makes from 50' away and around a corner. During the day when other things are going on it's not that noticeable.

• vivntx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

laranbrian, Thank you for the reply. It seem that the Northland has steady food temp and no complaints except for the noise. It is a commercial grade refrigerator, that may be why its noisy. I think there is a big temp control problem with the Electrolux so now we are also looking at the Thermadore model #T301r70nsp. I really didn't want to spend that much for the Thermadore so will see if we can live with the noise on the Northland.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

laranbrian,

It is a commerical grade refrigerator with commericial grade motor and energy use?

What has your experience been with regards to engergy consumption. It is a real energy hog?

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

Not knowing much about the features of a commercial grade compressor versus a consumer grade one I can't really speak to any design or quality differences. As far as energy use goes Northland supplies a table in their documentation that estimates energy consumption of the unit as a function of ambient temperature. Overall it should average a consumption of about 250 watts. Electricity costs between $0.05 and $0.08/kwh for me (depending on usage) so I guess the unit costs me about $0.60 per day to run. I'm just doing this in my head so I hope I didn't drop a zero somewhere...

• vivntx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did see a post somewhere saying that Northland used more energy than some home refrigerators. I realize you have a different model than I am looking at, but are you satisfied with your Northland and would you purchase another one ?

• vivntx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are you satisfied with your Northand and would you purchase another Nortland unit ?

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

So far so good. We've only been using it a couple months and so far the only thing that I dislike is the extra bit of noise that comes with the 'fridge. The unit cost ~$5100 for a counter depth 48" 'fridge/freezer combo so the price was certainly right (panel ready model). Performance has been good too. I routinely take the temperature of items in the unit and it doesn't vary much more than 3-5 deg F.

So far, I would purchase it again.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

As far as energy use goes Northland supplies a table in their documentation that estimates energy consumption of the unit as a function of ambient temperature.

What the table says and how much energy the fridge actually consumes are sometimes two very different things.

CR has caught Samsungs using significantly more that their table suggest and Viking using outrageously more than their table says.

CR has been beating the drum for the Feds to check more carefully and throw the book at those manufactures that don't comply with what they are reporting to the public.

I have read some Northland owners say their fridge falls into that Viking territory. But temperature performance is top notch.

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

All too true, dee... Without an ammeter I am at the mercy of the manufacturer. In the case of Northland they are not energy star certified so at least they don't have that incentive to lie about energy consumption.

Now I am curious to measure how many amps the thing draws...... How accurate is the metal label on the compressor? I think that was stamped with an amp rating for the compressor.

• azheng
    11 years ago

I know that this post is over a year old, but for those of you that have Northland's, has the noise gotten worse, and are there any suggestions you have? I am also considering buying the all freezer and all fridge, but am also looking at the frigidaire all fridge and freezer, which costs significantly less. the model of the fridge is FPRH19D7LF. Any comments?

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

One or two have showed up on the local Craigslist. Usually a few years old, and usually being replaced by an actual Sub Zero.