Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bundy123_gw

Half and half induction/regular??

bundy123
9 years ago

I seem to remember seeing a range that had one or two regular elements and 1 or two induction but I cant seem to find it now. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Comments (17)

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

Yes, there is or was one.
    It was probably being outsold by the other one that uses kerosene on one side and coal on the other.

This post was edited by laat2 on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 12:30

• scrapula
    9 years ago

You will never use the electric section once you use induction. They are a waste of money.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure Miele makes a configurable cooktop.

• bundy123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sjhockey, thankyou. Will look at the Miele.

As for the waste of money and the kero/coal comments....I understand - but the only way I can have induction is to do half and half or a combo thereof. One of us has a special pacemaker/defib and that = No induction. If I can get a combo then we can both cook with no issues.

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

Whoever told you that was a solution is full of it.

• bundy123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laat2 wow....why in the world would you ever make a statement like that? Are you a cardiologist specializing in the newest technology of combo pacemaker/defibs?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

bundy, I would check on that. In the combo units, the electric and induction sections are immediately adjacent, so I'm not sure why the person with the pacemaker wouldn't be affected just because they aren't actually cooking on the induction side.

• plllog
    9 years ago

I remember that kind of thing as a cooktop (not a full on range) about six years ago. It was being sold to people who had too much Mauviel, etc. (won't work on induction and too expensive to deep six). They sold to people who were afraid of making a commitment, but didn't sell well. I think they were more popular in Europe.

There's one listed on Electrolux's website and on Amazon which may still be available. It has the same comments about how hard cleaning is as any radiant electric under glass. People hate that aspect.

If you have a good chunk of money to spend, you might be better off with individual modules, sometimes known as "dominoes". They're 12" or 15" wide and each has one or two cooking elements. You can combine induction, gas, radiant electric, grill, griddle, steamer, etc., in any configuration you want.

I have a 24" induction cooktop (brought in from England) and a 15" Wolf gas, which works well for me.

Most of the research on induction and pacemakers has been done in Europe. Has your other household member's cardiologist seen the latest research? Or is it just a knee jerk no magnets thing? I don't know about the defib part, but the papers I've seen have found no danger for ordinary pacemakers except for one kind that's out of date. It might be worth looking into further.

I'd be concerned, if there really is a danger of interference, that inadvertent exposure would be a constant issue and worry. What if you have something cooking on induction, not expecting the pacemaker wearer to be around, and that person comes in and goes to look in the pot, and give it a stir, while you're ears deep in the freezer? Further, what if said person decides to lean on the counter to warm up by the pot, and keep stirring? That kind of thing isn't supposed to harm anyone with a pacemaker, but if it's an issue, it's an issue, and that would be bad!

Is there a reason you can't have gas? That would seem to be the obvious compromise. Otherwise, why not get a regular electric cooktop, and a portable induction unit for your own use, where it would be obvious from more than the pot location that there was something to stay away from? You could even have a special circuit put in and have a commercial grade portable, that you could also stash away from the person who shouldn't be near it.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Look at AJ Madison - click on cooking, then cooktops, then Miele and you'll see a variety of "combi sets" - electric, induction, griddle, barbecue, gas wok, boiler/fryer.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I can definitely see the utility of a hybrid cooktop, like if you want the benefits of induction, but have non-induction cookware you still would like to use. I think Electrolux is the only one with a hybrid cooktop anymore, and Frigidaire had some hybrid ranges but I think those might have been discontinued.

• bundy123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all.

I Like the look of the Elux one and I am checking out the Miele one as well.

We don't generally cook at the same time so it would be one person or the other. If I do the hybrid then I can have the best of both worlds. If its too far out of the budget then I guess I can always go to the counter model but I am trying to limit the extra appliances.

From what we have learned is its not the pacemaker part but the defib part that is very sensitive. Still coming to terms with all this. We were told to definitely not be the one cooking but as long as you were a few feet away then it should be okay.

Pllog, we are past the end of the gas run and the only option is propane and being in a hurricane zone the rules around having a tank are really stringent. Understand the need but its very prohibitive.

Hv Never even thought about the cookware. I have all clad but I think some of them might not be induction ready. I know the pasta cooker isn't :(

• plllog
    9 years ago

I think you're right that the hybrid Electrolux is going to the easiest on the budget. Putting in a new gas system certainly isn't!

The induction's magnetic field is strongest within a half inch of the cooktop. If the couple of feet is margin of error, that's okay. Make sure that there isn't any kind of residual field in the cooktop when the inductors aren't on, however, if the defib is that sensitive! Especially if it's counter level.

If you can deal with the price on the 12"/15" dominoes (including the Miele Combisets, Wolf, Gaggenau (two lines), Ilve, Fagor, and Kenyon), perhaps it would be better to put them at different stations/locations within the kitchen?

Re cookware, if I remember right, most All-Clad works, though some lines are better than others. Use a refrigerator magnet (i.e., weak, but stays put on the fridge) on the bottom and see if it sticks. If it sticks well, it's good for induction. If it doesn't stick at all, it won't work for induction. If it sort of sticks but slides around or can be shaken off, it'll probably be recognized by the sensors and allow the cooktop to turn on, but it might wail like a banshee and not really respond as well as it should.

• herring_maven
    9 years ago

bundy123: "As for the waste of money and the kero/coal comments....I understand - but the only way I can have induction is to do half and half or a combo thereof. One of us has a special pacemaker/defib and that = No induction."

The health department of the national government of Switzerland investigated the relationship between induction cooking surfaces and paemakers a few years ago (2008-2009 or so, IIRC) with characteristic Swiss thoroughness and attention to detail. I have misplaced the URL where you can find the report, but with some diligence, I am sure that you can track it down (it is available in English). From memory, its conclusions were:

1. Although the fears are not entirely groundless, they are applicable to only one class of pacemakers ("unipolar"?), which comprise a small subset among pacemakers in use.

2. Even with susceptible pacemakers, the field range of danger was limited to something like four or five cm directly above the surface of the zone of the cooking surface that was active, which would mean that the person with the pacemaker would effectively have to be lying face down on the cooktop to be in danger -- induction coils do not have a wide range of radiation as microwave ovens do; and

3. Because most induction units automatically shut off within a few seconds if there is no pot on the "burner," it would be very difficult to position a pacemaker directly above an operating burner in any event, because the pot would be in the way.

Of course, you will want to read the entire report for yourself, because my recollection may be flawed; but it will be very much worth your while to do so.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

Bundy123 --

Two comments: one about why you got such a sharp response from Laat and the other about the hybrid range you might have seen referenced somewhere

First, regarding Laat's sharp response, don't take that personally. This subject has been discussed to death for years and gets raised every few weeks. It almost always comes up again because of alarmist nonsense somebody just "discovered" somewhere on the internet. (For an example of the kind of nonsense that turns up: a couple of years ago, there was a website with a totally spurious warning to induction users that using metal spoons would electrocute you when stirring food.) Since you joined GW only a couple of months ago, you likely had no idea what a tripwire subject this can be or that an adverse reaction would have been defused by explaining that your doctor had raised the concern.

For you folks and your doc to get a better handle on whether there are risks and to clarify what (if any) they might be, you can find a good collection of studies and references in the link I posted below.

Second, there have been several hybrid induction ranges. There were a couple of them from Frigidaire, the FPIF3093LF and FPCS3085LF, but I can confirm hvtech's suspicion that these are discontinued. That happened last year. They are no longer avalable from most vendors but there might be some Amazon vendors who still have them in stock.

There were several threads here where buyers discussed one or the other of the Frigidaires and you can find them with a google search string like: "gardenweb + frigidaire+induction+hybrid."

The only other hybrid range I can recall is a gas-induction hybrid from American Range, but that's obviously not going to work you.

So, its pretty much the hybrid cooktop from Electrolux or Miele and buying a wall oven to install somewhere.

An alternative could be a diy hybrid cooktop set-up from a brand other than the Miele combo set.. I haven't priced this out, but there are numbers of brands that make two-burner drop-in cooktop modules that are 12 to 15 inches wide. These are sometimes called "dominoes" for reasons that will be apparent when you see a picture of one. You could combine an induction domino with a radiant one. You could mix and match brands so there is no confusion over which is which.

Here is a link that might be useful: Links to studies on induction health risks

This post was edited by JWVideo on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 18:34

• bundy123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Herring,

Thanks for the information. Will definitely follow up.

Part of the issue is this is not just a regular pacemaker its a combination pacemaker/defibrillator.....totally different animal and has a whole lotta rules that normally would not apply to a regular pacemaker. These are still relatively new. These guys will shock you an knock you out and not it a good way.....would rather not have that happen over a pot of spaghetti

• dan1888
    9 years ago

What unit is it and who is the manufacturer?
    It would be useful to follow up and find the extent of risk and any recommendations from the manufacturer.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Definitely work with your card doctors on this.
    Uptodate is a good source and popped when I searched the topic.
    My DH had a ACD and pacemaker but we didn't have induction. He was able to use a nuke machine(MW)
    Good luck and let us know the outcome.