Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size hood?

Posted by AGK2003 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 12:05

we are planning on a 30" thermador range (maybeeee getting the 36" but think kitchen's too small). if we go with the 30", do we also get a 30" hood? i've seen recommendations for the 36" hood on a 30" range but would rather not take up cabinet space. will we regret the smaller hood? thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size hood?

yes, the general recommendation is getting a bigger hood than your range so that it can capture everything (heat/oil/smoke) from your range. generally, you want your hood to be 4-6" wider.

However, in practice, I want to say most people get the same size hood as the range. That's because you get more cabinet space, the hood and the range will line up, and all the cabinet door on top and bottom will line up better aesthetically.

So, the choice is yours and either way is fine (unless there is a code in your city where you have to get a bigger hood). Do you do a lot of serious cooking that produce a lot of smoke/oil? Do you have ranges that produces a lot of heat? or do you prefer things to line up more and more cabinet space?

o

Another thing to consider is a deeper hood. When your cooking on front burners, it's needed. I bought a 48x24, so only 24 inches deep and Trevor @ Eurostoves recommended a wider hood and 27 in deep. A year later...shoulda went with the deeper and wider. Clears the smoke and heat faster...We live n learn..

o

Having just installed a 30" hood over my range, I will say that most everything is sucked up sideways from the back burners but there is spillover from the front burners even at high speed. (Claimed 720 CFM) As a result I would say that while a wider hood would be preferred, I'd focus more on depth. The problem is a wider hood can look awkwardly top-heavy over a 30" range. The wider the range, the less obtrusive a few inches of overhang looks. A 30x24 hood with adequate CFM should suit the average cook fine. But it won't capture everything, a concern if you do a lot of wokking, deep frying, etc.

o

Adding a picture to show the dimensions. While the hood itself is 20.5 inches deep, the "intake" is only 14". So consider this when looking at depth. Even at 14", a lot gets sucked in from the front burners when on high that spills over on lower settings. That's why I think that matching the ranges dimensions should be quite acceptable even if not perfect.

p.s. I knew this would be an issue when I bought the hood. I bought it for looks and price, to attract a typical homebuyer as I'll be selling soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here