Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monstermomx2_gw

Best convection microwave

monstermomx2
9 years ago

We are looking at the Kenmore and Sharp Convection Microwaves. The primary reason for these two is that they have good reviews and allow for turning off the end of cycle signal. Sometimes there is a need for quiet as the hubby has fluctuating work (sleep) hours. However, there are so many opinions on the various "best of" sites that we're now confused. Our primary wish is for a reliable convection microwave that lives up to the marketing claims. We'd also love the feature of turning off the signal. The location will be OTC but I understand that most of the OTR units can be made to recirculate, we wouldn't need the venting feature. We are prefer a maximum size of 29" and don't want less than 24". Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Comments (12)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I would go with Sharp, for the simple reason that it is made in the USA (the Kenmore is made in China).

• momotom
    9 years ago

I love my Sharp R-930CS.Its double duty function, microwave and convection oven give me so much more flexibility than a regular MV. I've had mine now for seven years without one problem.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

I had a 15 + year old Sharp that finally gave up the ghost several years ago. We had nursed it along for a while. We replaced it with a Kenmore Elite. I think because we couldn't get much else in convection OTR.

Well let me tell you, the Kenmore SUCKS!!!! Did you get my point it stinks! I can't believe that we paid extra for convection and it doesn't WORK. Sure the oven heats up but I'm not sure to what temp and it takes forever. Things take forever to bake. I can cook a pizza in my regular oven in half the time of the convection microwave.

The repairman was out for the mwave and a frig. He played some kind of heat a cup of water up in X amount of time game and said it worked. I told him to let me know when he was coming again and I would cook a pizza for him.

We used our other convection all the time. Chicken nuggets, patties, pizza, etc. I never used our oven on the stove. Unfortunately I can not tell you when I used the convection on my microwave because it SUCKS!

Again it is a Kenmore Elite in case anyone was thinking about getting one. Paid more for convection, isn't useful!

• monstermomx2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hvtech42, momotom & mmomof2
    Thank you for your thoughts on these products. I'm thinking that we'll stay away from Kenmore. I definitely appreciate the input.

I'm still interested in additional reviews or suggestions for reliable convection microwaves.

Thanks all!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Sharp is THE convection microwave if you want proven, simple, reliable. The design has been pretty much unchanged for decades.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

I've had the Sharp. I now have a GE. I would kick the GE to the curb if I wasn't afraid of hurting my foot.

• lee676
    9 years ago

I've had good experiences with the newer GEs, and like that they're quieter than most. Consider an Advantium 120 which has some additional cooking modes (it's not quite a true high-speed oven like the Advantium 240 volt counterpart, but you'll need to upgrade the electrical line to use that one). I don't know off hand if it allows the 0:00 signal to be silenced.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The Advantiums aren't really related to GE's other microwaves, convection or not...

Advantiums are made by LG, all their other microwaves are made by Samsung

• Celeste_47
    9 years ago

I've read a lot about Samsung microwaves and all good reports. Did you say that some GE microwaves are made be Samsung? Is yes, which ones?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Everything except the Advantium.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Is the all-Samsung sourcing a recent change? A few years back, the Advantium 120 OTC was very clearly related to the GE convection/microwaves - if you opened the door and looked inside, it was hard to tell them apart.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The surefire way to tell is look at the country of origin on the model sticker.

Malaysia = Samsung

Korea = LG