Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Horrible experience with Electrolux Icon Pro High Speed Oven

athensmomof3
9 years ago

I have an Electrolux Icon Pro High Speed oven which was purchased in December 2011 and installed and put in service June 2012. In the last 8 months I have replaced the motor and the magnetron and the magnetron has just gone out again. For an appliance costing over 2000.00, I am completely disgusted. The high speed oven has a one year warranty, and the magnetron is not covered past that one year. Needless to say, I would expect higher quality and longer use for over 2000.00!!

We have an Electrolux single oven also and this is making me wish I ponied up the extra for the Wolf ovens (which my mother and sister both have and love and zero problems - and our Wolf/Sub Zero products have been great and customer service is wonderful (sent a tech out free of charge to show me how to change the grates in the hood)). I went with Electrolux because it was well reviewed generally and there was a significant price savings - although I have probably almost made it up on service calls!

Word to the wise.

Comments (10)

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Well, that's sad, but not "the usual experience" with Electrolux.
    (Of Course this doesn't help you out)!!!

I've had the Electrolux speed oven and the regular Elux 30" oven, (Icon) for over 8 years, and the only problem I've had was a screw that came loose for the handle on the speed oven, ~~~easily fixed. We use the microwave part of the speed oven a "TON", each and every day, too!!!

Gary

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well we have gone from bad to worse. The repairman just came out and we have a bad wave guide which is part of the frame and cannot be repaired. 2000 down the drain it seems. He thought this is why the first magnetron went out (first repair man didn't catch it) and his speculation is there was a problem with the original magnetron when it was built which made it arc and damage the wave guide. Basically, it was defective when made.

Interestingly, the warranty on the new units is 3 years vs the 1 year that I have, and that warranty would have been used several times already and would likely cover a new unit since this one cannot be repaired.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I seem to remember hearing that Chris Polk transferred to a different department a while back, but I could be wrong about that. If you don't get anything from him, I would just try the main support line and cross your fingers.

These speed ovens are actually are made by Sharp, not Electrolux, but you do have to go through Electrolux for support and service.

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hvtech42 - glad to know they are made by Sharp. From my research a while back they make superior microwaves and some commercial stuff so hopefully this is just an aberration.

Yes - I didn't hear back from Chris Polk. I did friend the Electrolux Facebook page and post on there and heard back within a few hours. The new contact for problems outside of the helpline is SocialCare@electrolux.com.

I have received a response and they are asking for copies of my repair receipts. I do have the one from a couple of days ago describing the problem, and saying it is not repairable. I cannot find the one from the earlier service call (although I do generally save home maintenance receipts for reference). Thankfully, I remember from my call to customer service that they did have a warranty claim submitted by the prior servicer and they had record of that (although the claim was denied). I guess it is a good thing this product is already in their system????

I will keep everyone updated. Hopefully I can post back and say that Electrolux replaced this obvious lemon and I would go back to recommending them 100 percent!

As an aside, I had a conversation with a business owner about this sort of thing and he was of the mindset that if you are smart you take this situation and replace the appliance. That generates more positive word of mouth advertising plus you have gained a loyal customer.

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. We are in negotiations. Their first offer was ridiculous and I am happy to file suit in our small claims court for damages - a lawyer and a litigator/class action attorney in my prior life :). I would compare them to Wolf who came out and re-installed the baffles on my range hood because I didn't understand the installation requirements. They were happy to help - xo Wolf and Sub Zero

• kaseki
    9 years ago

A waveguide is a conductive duct, typically rectangular in crosssection. Damage to a waveguide is certainly unusual given the huge number of expensive and inexpensive microwave ovens that are manufactured per year without that issue being widely reported. So also is arcing into the waveguide, or arcing occurring within the waveguide unless the whole path is somehow mismatched to the food it is supposed to propagate energy to. I would wonder about proper bonding in the structure. Just passing thoughts, but I am curious how this epic ends.

kas

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I've read some not-so-good experiences with Wolf customer service on here. And I wouldn't go near their ovens, with the unreliable blue porcelain. Good luck getting the Elux replaced.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 18:51

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE!!!

As outlined above, our Electrolux Pro High Speed oven failed after less than 2 ý years of use. The wave guide was burnt and the oven was deemed unrepairable. After contacting Electrolux, the best they would offer (even after assuring them I would file a small claims suit to recover the full amount) was 40 percent of the purchase price - around 800.00. This was not satisfactory to us and was a great disappointment.

As a last resort, I filed a complaint with the BBB. Electrolux responded with a reiteration of their offer previously made of 40%. The BBB closed their complaint noting this was an "unsatisfactory" resolution.

Within a week or two I was contacted by Electrolux offering to replace the item with the lower trim level Designer series. This would not work for us as we have a pro level oven below the speed oven and the items would not match in our new house/kitchen. After explaining to them this issue (and waiting for my original contact person to come back from Thanksgiving vacation), I contacted the person giving me this offer at the beginning of this week. She went to her boss, who authorized a Visa card for 1999.00 to be issued to us upon receipt of a letter confirming their offer along with the model number sticker.

Apparently the pro icon speed oven trim level has been discontinued, at least according to Electrolux and AJ Madison website (where I purchased it originally). I was able to locate it in stock at Sears and it should be (fingers crossed) delivered in January (hoping it is truly in stock because Electrolux says their stock is low to zero).

I purchased it at Sears and although I have to pay taxes on it (unlike at AJ Madison) it is worth it to me assuming it arrives! I was worried about calling AJ Madison and going that route again as that is where the defective oven came from in the first place (almost certainly not their fault but still).

So SUCCESS!!! And hats off to Electrolux for standing by their product. Unfortunately, it took a lot of wrangling but the system appears to work and no lawsuit was necessary. If all goes well, I will post an update on Twitter and Facebook where I originally posted my complaint.

As an aside, this oven now offers a 3 year warranty rather than the 1 year my original oven had, as long as you register it with Electrolux within 60 days of purchase. Also, I will investigate an extended warranty plan through Electrolux in case the magnetron fails again (we went through 2 and needed a 3rd). I did purchase it with my American Express which supposedly will extend the 3 year warranty to 5 years.

• Kara
    8 years ago
    Hi, I was wondering if you could share your exterior painted brick color...

I saw it on gardenweb from a few years back, lovely!