Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why do dishwashers take so long?

Posted by mom270 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 11:16

We just replaced the ancient dishwasher that came with our house with a new Whirlpool. It takes SOOO much longer than the old one, yet it's an Energy Star. Does anyone know why cycle times are so much longer in 21st century appliances?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why do dishwashers take so long?

To get the dishes clean? I was thinking about this. If you soak a dish in water long enough, the food washes away easier. That's my take on it.

o

Dishwashers nowadays have smaller pumps and lower spray volume than the water-guzzlers of the past. Longer cycle times, coupled with enzyme detergents to dissolve food soils, are thusly required to maintain cleaning performance. Smaller pumps and less aggressive spray is also a factor in promoting quiet operation. Even with longer operating times, less energy is used than older units.

o

Thanks dadoes. That's good to know.

o

Dishwashers need 5 elements in order to clean
Time
Temperature
Water
Chemical (detergent)
Mechanical action

If you lessen one of the 5 elements you need to increase one or more of the others.
If you lessen Mechanical action you may need to inscrease the time or the temperature or both.
If you use less detergent you may need to increase the other elements

o

It takes a certain amount of time for a dishwasher to heat up the incoming water, especially for a "sanitizing" wash.

-Roger

o

I don't use the heated dry on our KA DW - us Left Coast greenies are conditioned that way, LOL - and the cycle on the KUDS30IVSS for a normal wash is 1 hr 15 min, which is only 15 min longer than my old (and terrible) 1989 Kenmore/GE. I also notice that even without heated dry, the new DW uses the residual heat to dry the dishes quite well anyway, which is nice.

o

my asko take an average of 1hr 27 min to do a full load. dishes come out sparkling clean. Leave it over night and they are pretty dry. i dont waste electricity drying plastics...

o

mom270, good question! I've wondered the same thing.
dadoes & jakvis, good answers :)
Seems backwards tho. Seems like with newer technology it would take 1/2 as long instead of 2x as long :o
Monica

o

You have to think of it this way.
Let's say the old D/W motor used 150 watts per hour to run and to make the math easy lets say the old D/W had a 1 hour cycle. Total power used = 150 watts
Now say the new D/W has a 50 watt motor. The 50 watt motor doesn't spray as hard so the manufacturer makes the cycle 2 hours. Total power used = 100 watts This means the old D/W used half again more power than the new D/W.
The old D/W had more mechanical action (harder spray) and the new D/W had less mechanical action (softer spray) so it needed more time to do the same job but the motor was so much more efficient it used less energy.
There's more to it of course with flow through heaters verses ring heaters, less water vs more water, etc. etc. but the above is the simple explanation.

o

When it comes to math, my brain appreciates "simple" :)

o

I am curious about the long wash time too. But I must say that any dishwasher I've had in the past didn't really clean the dishes... it just made them hot.

Our newer dishwasher actually cleans dirty dishes. Older dishwashers would only clean dishes that were already cleaned a little bit by hand first.

There is a thread about commercial dishwashers. They only take 2-4 minutes to run. But they don't clean, they only sterilize.

So I guess watching TV or reading for 2 hours is better than hand washing dishes for 20 minutes.

~Jay

o

One reason is that older dishwashers were designed back when hot water heater tanks were routinely kept at 140F - pre-1990s dishwashers relied on hot incoming water and rarely heated the wash water themselves (several DWs had "sani rinse" options that heated the final *rinse* only, ostensibly to sanitize the dishes). More recently, recommended hot water tank temperature was dropped to 120F, primarily to prevent scalding injuries at faucets and showers, but also to save energy. 120F is hot enough for showers and usually for washing clothes, but insufficient for washing dishes in a dishwasher. So newer machines internally heat the water during the wash cycle, and sometimes during the prewash, and often during the final rinse to facilitate drying - all increasing cycle times.

As with clothes washers, this is another instance where U.S. 120V/15A electric circuits have become problematic - the feeble power supply stifles the heating elements and results in *slow* water heating - taking about 15 minutes to heat the water 20 degrees, as well as longer drying times. European-market dishwashers running on 240V power heat the water so quickly that many of them draw water from the cold water line rather than the hot, and still wash and dry the dishes faster than 120V machines sold in North America.

o

It takes a certain amount of time for a dishwasher to heat up the incoming water, especially for a "sanitizing" wash.

-Roger

o

I can't accept any of these responses as they are simply excuses to me. The thing that really disappoints me is that I don't have a choice to run a short cycle. Frankly, I rinse my dishes before they go in the dishwasher so a 10-20-minute cycle is what I want. A five minute wash and a five minute rinse would work best for me. I worked at a hotel year's ago and the Concierge suite had a dishwasher that had a cycle of a minute or two.

o

I can't accept the responses as well. I have a dishwasher with a quick wash of 28 minutes, and it works just fine. The commercial washers use a much higher water temperature so it is quicker, but there is absolutely no need for 1 or 2 hour wash. Wear out the dishwasher fast? seems like it might be the only reason, no wonder appliances dont last very long any more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here