Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fisheggs_gw

Samsung range review

fisheggs
15 years ago

Hi folks,

I just wanted to add my impressions of my new range (Samsung FTQ352IWUX) since I had a hard time finding info on it when I was trying to decide to buy it. In fact, it was difficult even finding one to look at! They're only carried at Lowe's and Best Buy in the States right now. We drove two hours to see one, and then the next week our local Lowe's got a floor model.

There are two versions, one with more stainless and the glass touchpad, and the one we got, which has more black and has a bubble/blister style touchpad. I actually have a hard time making the glass ones work, so this was a plus for us.

Here's a picture of it at our house, amidst the construction debris (we tore the kitchen out the next weekend):

Notes:

1: This has the triple set of convection fans. Consumer reports found that it wasn't a significant improvement over other (and more expensive) ranges that only had two fans. However, this arrangement allows the fans to stick out less into the oven interior. The oven is really roomy because of that.

2: The warming drawer spans almost the full width of the stove, which was important to us. Some of the Kenmore/Frigidaire ones have an actual drawer width that is something like 15" or so.

3: The glass cooktop has no speckling, which concerned us a bit since we'd never had a glass cooktop and were worried about cleaning. However, in the two weeks that we've been using it, it has been very easy to clean with just a few wipes of a microfiber cloth. The biggest difficulty is waiting until it is completely cool so that we don't singe the cloth (or ourselves!) We've been doing a lot of messy, tomato-based cooking, too, so this was sugary, acidy sauce that was being splattered around.

4: The individual pieces and workings all feel really sturdy and high end. The warming drawer doesn't rock or creak when you open it - the slides are very smooth. We were looking at fairly standard ranges in the $1500 price bracket and this $999 stove feels much more high end. Also, we took the mover's discount + a 10% off sale at Best Buy and got it for about $800. That's a few square feet of countertop!

5: First go at baking sourdough bread resulted in the best loaf I've ever made!

Comments (10)

• natthita
    15 years ago

There's a new feature called Steam cleaning on your Samsung range as well! It allows you to clean your range in 20 minutes as oppose to the length of time you clean with the self-cleaning feature...which could take up to 3-4 hrs!? This steam cleaning feature also use less energy to clean -- 150 degrees.

• irishgirl1007
    15 years ago

Fisheggs, I have a house in the mountains and my old range suddently died. I had to go to Best Buy and compared ranges. I got the Samsung and I absolutely love it. It was not the most expensive one there but the sales guy just could not say enough good things about it. I love the knobs (sounds silly, I know, but look what the other oves offer: cheap, plastic thoughtless things), the steam cleaning and the various sizes for pots on the range. I just made a pot roast and it was the best I've made, it was incredible. I am renovating my regular house and am looking at Blue Star and Lacanache --- the decisions are mind-boggles. At least in the mountains I was limited to 36". Good luck with it. Irishgirl

• doggonegardener
    15 years ago

We just bought the model just up from this with the warming drawer with the handle and the glass touch pad controls. We have loved it so far. We have had it in the house and in use since mid December. We really enjoyed it over the holidays. We are thrilled with our choice. Hope you continue to enjoy yours as well.

Rene

• floridagoldengirl
    14 years ago

Any problems with scratches on the cooktop? I just purchased a Samsung after owning several smooth top ranges (the last being GE). I love the looks, features, and how it cooks. Great price for all the features as well. My other ranges had a speckled smooth top and I never seemed to notice any scratches. This range top is black and I am finding that despite my best cleaning efforts using Cermabryte or Carbona cooktop cleaners and then finishing with a clean microfiber cloth that there are small marks on the most frequently used burners. I use stainless steel Cuisinart cookware and have used a Circulon hard anondized pan for cooking. Just wondered if anyone has experienced this same issue. I've only had the range for 3 weeks and if this is a major problem or something that will worsen over time then I may need to rethink my decision and return it for another brand that may hold up better.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Thanks for this information. I'm in the market for a reasonably priced range and DW. I'm looking into these Samsung's as well.
    The scratching on the surface concerns me, because my current Jen-air black ceramic cooktop hasn't a scratch on it, through a year of abuse now. I use Anolon hard anodized pots and pans, and no scratches. I've pushed them around on it lots, too.
    Could there be such a thing as a harder finish on these different cooktops that make some more susceptible to scratches?

• floridagoldengirl
    14 years ago

I'm not sure if they are scratches, you can only see them if you really look very closely. I would recommend the range based on performance, features and price. I would make sure that the bottoms of the pans are clean before using them to prevent any scratches which all manufacturers recommend.

• jasvastheory
    14 years ago

BEWARE! I purchased this range and initially loved it. A few months after buying, a knob broke off. Shouldn't be a big deal, however Samsung refuses to honor the warranty. They say that I must have been abusing the stove and that there is no way that there could have been a manufacturing defect. There warranty clearly states:

"Samsung Electronics Canada, Inc. warranty covers manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship encountered in normal, non-commercial use of this product."

They do not agree that turning the stove on is considered normal use.

Granted they make nice appliances, however they can only be considered as good as the support that comes with them...

• djoanm
    13 years ago

High, I have a samsung stove too, and am wondering how long your oven takes to preheat, and how much it drops temp when you change a pan of cookies - don't know if mine is not right, or this is normal
    Thanks.

• angelamota_sympatico_ca
    13 years ago

I just purchased a samsung range 2 weeks ago and I am noticing small almost bubbles on the burners. Anyone else experience this? I'm also considering returning it.

• JHZR2
    9 years ago

Bumping this for long-term updates. My wife really likes the newest Samsung ranges because of the 5.9 cu tf true convection oven and the long middle burner (we're looking at gas). But long term info is hard to find.

Thanks!