calory

transporting a freezer lying on its side

calory
15 years ago

someone please tell me if there's any harm in doing this

Comments (10)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

Sometimes you can get away with laying refrigeration equipment horizontally, but only if you give the device some time oriented properly to allow the liquefied refrigerant to settle to its proper place. Check the manual, either in print or online.
    Casey

• capecodcook
    15 years ago

And the settling time is typically overnight to 24 hours, not a few minutes.

• calory
    Original Author
    15 years ago

so it is possible to do permanent harm? would you move a freezer on its side?

• solarpowered
    15 years ago

Why would you want to transport it on its side? Rent an appropriate truck and be done with it.

• capecodcook
    15 years ago

Yes, if you move it on its side, then stand it upright and immediately plug it in and turn it on you will probably damage it. The cautions I have read say to stand it up and let the coolent settle back down to the compressor. Suggestions I have seem say this takes overnight to 24 hours. Ask an applicance dealer or repair person. But as SP says, better to move it upright if at all possible.

• ya_think
    15 years ago

Well I am glad I am seeing some of these precautions and will follow them the next time just to be sure, but I can say that in the past year alone I've used my pickup to transport:

- a fridge that laid on its back at least 12 hours before driving 2+ hours, after which it was plugged in right after delivery

- a 300+ bottle wine fridge that was on its back for a few hours during transport but not plugged in until months after delivery

- and a full size freezer that was on its back for an hour or so and plugged in right after delivery

None were negatively affected such that I can tell, so my guess is that letting it stand for a while afterwards might be a good precaution, but laying it on its back is not necessarily the kiss of death.

• ya_think
    15 years ago

Just found the attached link from GE. It seems to imply that this can be based on model. While they recommend against transporting fridges on their sides, they explicitly say not to do it with Monogram fridges and provide guidelines for their other fridges if they "must" be laid down:

"If it has been necessary to transport the refrigerator on its side, it should be stood upright for an equal amount of time as it was on its side before plugging it in. If on its side for more than a day, leave standing for 24 hours before running. (If laying on its side just briefly to service, clean or adjust, just a few minutes of stand time will be enough.)"

Here is a link that might be useful: GE fridges on the side

• Lupe Gaytan
    3 years ago

I bought a brand new refrigerator in a box and lay it on its back for about 15 minutes. How long should I wait too turn it

• dan1888
    3 years ago

24 hours to be safe.