Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longshanks1999

36" Bluestar with 42" 600 CFM Rangecraft Hood

longshanks1999
10 years ago

Good morning all, I am about to purchase a 36" Bluestar RNB 6-burner range. I've been looking for a hood and have the oppurtunity to purchase a 42" wide 24" deep Rangecraft wall mount hood with a 600 CFM motor at a substantial discount. The only catch is the the hood would need to be mounted 35" above the cooking surface. Rangecraft says their hood can be as high at 36" so it should work fine, but I've been reading on here the it really should be closer to 30". Does anyone have any thoughts on this? The largest ductwork I can accomadate is 8" round so I am a bit limited on the maximum CFM I can reasonably have. I'm kind of thinking the large caputure area of the hood may make up for the height and lower CFM. Thoughts?

Comments (4)

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

30" minimum clearance from range hood to the cooking surface (i.e. the inside cooking surface of a frying pan on a grate over a gas burner) is a common building code requirement (which should be confirmed to apply or not in your area). There may be additional state code safety and conservation requirements for installing a stand alone make up air system with heat energy recovery for your proposed item in your particular state.

More info needed.

This post was edited by laat2 on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 11:13

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Here's what I have over my 36" Bluestar RNB with griddle:
    Prizer 36"x27" mounted 36" above burners. 1000 cfm remote on 8" ducting. Works satisfactorily on low speed for most cooking, although when searing or stir frying, a bit of smoke may escape. I think if it was down at 30" it may have been more efficient, who knows? ... I do know it would hit me in the head!
    I think with your 42" wide, you should be fine for everything but maybe the smokiest cooking.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 11:29

• longshanks1999
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I was to concerned about frequently hitting my head being 6' tall. As for MUA, it doesn't appear my jurisdiction has any requirement, so I wasn't planning installing anything. However, there was an unused 6" duct in the wall that vents to the outside that I could use a some point in the future if deemed necessary. For now, I was just planning on cracking the sliding glass door as needed.

• gigelus2k13
    10 years ago

The extraction efficiency will be much better if installing the hood just 30" above the cooking surface as opposed to 36".

If you're "only" 6' tall, don't worry, you won't bang your head against the hood. The 6" difference between the hood bottom and top of the head (6' - 36" - 30") will be lost when you bend over the range, especially since the hood is only 24" deep while the range is probably at least 26" deep.

I installed mine at 29" above the cooktop and I'm 6'2"; I can barely touch the hood with my forehead if I lean over the pots.

Moreover, in time one develops a subconscious feeling on how to move around the hood without hitting it.

IOW, install the hood as low as possible and it will be much more efficient at removing grease, smoke and odors.