Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmmalone

Miele dishwasher

bmmalone
14 years ago

I have a Miele dishwasher. I have an extended warranty with GE. My dishwasher needs a circulation pump installed. GE only have one service company in Atlanta ( can you believe it) and they have gone out of business. Can anyone tell me how to find a qualified Miele technician in the Atlanta area? GE have tried for 2 weeks to find one!

Comments (28)

• weissman
    14 years ago

Why don't you call Miele customer service - they can probably direct you to a Miele technician.

• bmmalone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I called Miele. They gave me the name of the company that is no longer in business.... and then continued to tell me that their technicians charge out at $150 (yep $150) an hour plus travel time..........

• antss
    14 years ago

I gather your DW is more than two years old, which is why you're dealing with GE.

How do you know the pump is bad??? It's very rare for a pump to go out, I've only heard of 1-2 in the last 15 yrs. Many models don't even have to be removed from the opening to change it. What model do you have?

Call Miele again - I assure you they have more than one service co. in ATL, I saw one on Fri. myself at a job. You may need to give the cs rep several zip codes especially if you live out in one of the burbs, as that's how the database is setup. Give em an intown zip code too.

Miele's inhouse tech for the metro area is one guy I believe and it wouldn't surprise me they bill him out at 150 /hr.

Now on to the really good part.

GE is stonewalling you and you're gonna get creamed if you don't get tough with them NOW. You paid your money and now where are they? You need to get it straight whose going to pay for this repair before it takes place or you'll pay twice !

TAKE NOTE FOLKS....................THIS IS WHY EXTENDED WARRANTIES DON"T MAKE A LOT OF SENSE, especially from a third party. They take in your money and don't really like paying out.

• bmmalone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Antts
    I hate to give the full story. I feel embarrassed! WE have had many extended warranties over the years and every company has done what it needed to so to satisfy the warranty. I guess I was lucky. Home Depot Expo sold us the extended warranty saying it was their warranty. I didn't check. Our dishwasher quit nearly two months ago. GE sent out a technician who diagnosed the fault. He then proceeded to tell us that under his contract with GE he had to buy the parts and GE would reimburse him. However, it would take two to three weeks for the reimbursement and in todays economy he could not afford to do this. He did say that if someone purchased the parts he would come back to install them. I had to wait for his report to go to GE and for them to approve the repair. (think nearly three weeks here). I had told them upfront that the technician would not purchase the parts. Long shot was, the only way I could get the parts was to purchase them and get reimbursement from GE - I did at least get this in writing. Miele will only sell to approved dealers/technicians or the homeowner. Just to make sure the problem was as diagnosed, I paid for a second opinion. He agreed it was the circulation pump. I ordered the parts and they arrived. GE contacted the original technician and so did I. He will not respond to either of us. So, I am sitting with the parts in my dining room. I am waiting for my check from GE and my dishwasher is going mouldy. GE have been trying for two weeks to find another company to install the parts (the original tech and his company are the only ones on their list in Atlanta). GE have said that if I get an estimate and they approve it they will send me a check so that the repair can be carried out. But I can't find anyone to do the job. Grr. Guess I am going to have to get an attorney to address this.
    Any thoughts, comments suggestions will be most welcome.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I would do a search for Miele service in Atlanta before I added a greedy mouth to the mix.
    I would also let Miele know that you will, (and in fact have already)let folk know that if you have a broken Miele
    You pretty much on your own. In an area as big as Atlanta this is totally unacceptable.
    Now ya got me wondering about mine---it just fell a few notches---it has never needed service but what will happen if it does??????
    Anybody considering a Miele Fridge better take Heed HERE.
    Can you imagine being without a fridge for a month or so?

Sheeeeshhhhhhh
    Sad sad story and SHAME ON MIELE it is their product.
    Compare this to the stories we see about Blue Star Service,
    particularly Trevor---at least they have some body that gives a rats, well strike the rat and we just say "Cares"

Gary

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I just did the search I suggested you do.
    Go here to see some of the answers.
    http://www.yellowbot.com/tags/miele/Atlanta,%20GA/page1.html

or you can click on the link below this msg

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Atlanta Miele Service

• antss
    14 years ago

Gary this is not exactly the case !

Malone's problem stems from the fact that (s)he is dealing with and through a division of GE which is not in the business of repairing appliances.

If (s)he or anyone else will call Miele on Mon., give the serial # and problem they will be more than happy to give you a list of 1-10 different servicers in the ATl that can and will replace the pump on the DW. They will also dispatch the part(s) to the servicer or homeowner.

They even offered to send out their very own in house technician which is not offered as a matter of course. This was declined because of cost, and was the smart play for now.

Malone of course will have to front the cost and hope to get reimbursed. Miele is not really interested in dealing with GE Insurance and it's subcrontracted affiliate through an intermediate, that's crazy.

Blue Star has plenty of problems around here too. Search for ignitors. Trevor is an independant dealer that knows his stuff and goes out of his way to help his clients and this board's members. There are plenty of Blue Star dealers that are crap and don't knkow hooey about the product, there's even one in ATL.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I just hate to see these kind of stories, maybe because I ran my own service business (albeit small) for 16 year and when a customer called, We jumped.
    There still is good service out there. I just had some very fancy screens installed for some French doors I just put in Master bedroom.
    About an hour after they were installed, I received a call from that company (and not a small company either --one of the top rated 500 companies in the US), anyway they asked how everything went, and was I completely satisfied.
    So, at least I hope, there are more companies like this.
    Gary

• antss
    14 years ago

Gary - there are. They just don't have GE in their title.

• bmmalone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gary
    I had already tried all of the companies on the links you listed - they either don't service appliances or are not Miele certified. If they are not Miele certified it voids the warranty of the parts installed. This is driving me nuts.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

How old is the dishwasher, I was reading thru all your posts and yet not sure.
    I would, as has been suggested stay on top of Miele until they come up with an answer.
    If you do a search now for Miele dishwasher service on google you will see many many "Hits" for your problem.
    (One hopes Miele is smart nuff to know this is NOT good for their reputation.
    It tells me, and I'm sure others too, that one of the things that we should "WEIGH HIGHLY" when we are making decisions on what product to buy, is: "Can it be repaired expeditiously and reasonably after warranty"
    Sorry bout your problem, but thanks again for this Warning!
    Have you tried a search for "Georgia Miele Service" or Miele Service GA?
    I will
    Gary

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

try this and call any other stores in your area that sell Miele Dishwashers. Some of them should know where there is service for them--if they don't , they shouldn't be selling them, (You Think)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Dishwasher Sales Atlanta

• bmmalone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:
    Called GE again yesterday to check on status of reimbursement for the parts i paid for. Should get the check today/tomorrow. Asked how their search was going for someone to install the parts. They said they had entered the wrong information and would have to start again. Another five day wait. They asked if I had found anyone - told them Miele at $150 an hour plus travel time. GE said I had a $250 limit on the repair technician and I would have to pay the rest. (Can you believe it!!) Told them that I had read their warranty - even the fine print - and it said nothing about a $250 limit. Guy said to wait to see if they could find someone to install the parts. So, not sure if you have heard of the Clark Howard Radio show, but I called them. Young lady was so nice. Asked where I had bought the machine, what type etc. Then proceeded to tell me that the company who had sold me the warranty (Home Depot Expo) was who I should be calling. So I called Home Depot main office. Their customer service rep was superb. Gave her the details of what had happened so far. She was appalled. Went on a conference call with GE - and within five minutes they had the name of a company who would come and install the circulation pump. Yes,my check had been mailed. etc. Said I should hear from the repair tech within 24 hours. Home Depot rep said if things did not happen as they should to contact her. Gave me her direct line number. Was very impressed with Home Depot. 8pm last night service tech called. Could they come out today? had to schedule for tomorrow, had other commitments for today. So at 9am tomorrow the tech should be here to fix my dishwasher. Will post tomorrow sometime - hopefully after it has been fixed!!!!

• antss
    14 years ago

Why don't you stop goofin around on the internet and CALL Miele in Princeton?

The tech's there have current service provider's in their database and some really good ones know that certain co.'s specialize in dishwashers or coffee machines or laundry.

You'll need your serial # and they will start a case #. I'm sure that they will not give you the first two on that list as they are the same co. and they do not install or service appliances. They do work on vacs though.

It's also possible to get a lousy tech in NJ and also for co.'s that have been trained in service to have gone belly up in the last year because of the economy. Miele would like to know that too if they give you a rec and it doesn't pan out.

Gary suggested "Have you tried a search for "Georgia Miele Service" or Miele Service GA"

Don't bother - Miele doesn't make their database or parts lists public so a google is a waste of time. All you'll get are folks that list "miele" in their ads, google won't descerne whether they only do vacuums, appliances, both ,service sales, ect...on ly "miele" shows up.

CALL CALL CALL CALL CALL

Got it?

• bmmalone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Antss

don't you realize that Miele was the first phone call I made? They gave me two options/phone numbers. The first company they mentioned was the one that won't answer phone calls and came out originally. Other than that they suggested their own technicians. To say that Miele was unhelpful was an understatement. The Miele customer service rep told me 'stop messing around with GE and let one of our technicians come out' - which all well and good, but I have a warranty with GE. I paid for the warranty and expect GE to service that warranty. I was only trying to hasten things along looking for a service company in my area. They were also very unhelpful when I ordered the parts, not customer friendly at all. Next time round, Miele does not get my business.

• antss
    14 years ago

Miele has it's bad days , and some dim bulbs too. There are more than 2 co.'s that service in ATL, and it is very rare that Miele recs, sending their in house guy to do stuff like this.

You clearly got an inexperienced tech, that could/should have handled it better, but he was right on the solution : don't let GE fix you Miele product. Now, the delivery stunk as you need to get you value out of the GE product and a savy tech would have sold you the parts, and put you in touch with a known servicer with DW experience, taken your money , made you feel good about it and let you deal with GE on your own.

I think you are throwing them under the bus when you should be livid at GE - they took your money and are basically tell you to get lost now that it's time to pay out. Ypu should also be pissed at the Depot for sell you a crappy product AND giving you a bait and switch at best. They could have just as easily sold you a Miele warranty but didn't, why - no kickback in it for them.

Yet you're steamed at Miele because they didn't jumb over backwards to get in the middle of this? They did offer a soultion - they would take care of it you pay the bill and sort it with your insurer but it wasn't cost effective. I totally get that I would have done this either. The guy that won;t call you back is not ducking you because of Miele - he doesn't want to do the work because GE won't pay him or pay enough to run his business - again not Miele's fault.

What is their fault is them not providing you with more service co's , especially some not in you zip or area code code , but still in ATL. Having said that most of them aren't likely to be much cheaper but you'd save travel time expense.

There is also a lesson here for everyone , one that Clark Howard advises. If you feel you must get a warranty and he's advise against it - get it from the Manufacturer itself not a third party!

I'm still curious about the DW age and why the pump failed in the first place?

• bmmalone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Antss
    Yes, you are right, to be honest I am pretty upset with all of them, so when one party offers a solution they get some praise!
    First of all, the dishwasher is 4 years old. We had problems when we purchased it at Expo. Went through the whole deal with them, what we wanted etc. The dishwasher arrived - minus the door front panel! I had specifically asked if we had ordered everything we needed etc etc and had been told everything was in order. Luckily when I ordered the dishwasher, the department manager was there. When I went back to complain (yes, complain) that the door front was missing, he then told me it was another $300 . Expo paid for the door front. (Good Expro). They sold me a warranty with GE (bad Expo). WE have had a few problems over the past couple of years, mainly with the drainage. This leads me to believe there may have been an underlying problem from the beginning. The dishwasher is used at least once a day. You are correct again, the GE warranty/service is bad (bad GE). I wish I had looked closer at the warranty when I paid for it (my bad). Miele were not helpful at all. Their attitude was really bad. (bad Miele). Home Depot customer service on Tuesday achieved more in ten minutes than I have achieved in 2 months (good Home Depot). I do not back away from these situations, I am never rude, I do not loose my temper. The technician is due this morning, it will be interesting to get his take on the situation.

• bmmalone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Service technician here now. Apparently you should use between 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon of cascade or equivalent per wash. The circulation pump motor was so soaped up it had quit. I now have a new circulation pump installed. Just about to start it an see if it works......couldn't wait to post!

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

That's great news, another "Soap" with a happy ending!!(LOL)

Gary
    PS, start watching HGTV and DIY Network and "Cut down on the Soap"!!!!!!!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update! That is great news that your dishwasher is fixed and a lesson to all of us to not use so much soap. Thank you!

• bmmalone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a dishwasher that works! Its also my birthday, what a great birthday present! Now I am going to wash all the dishes that my husband and I washed by hand to get them really clean. I am so excited.
    Thanks for letting me vent and for all your words of wisdom!

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday

>>Me Leigh Day

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday

Me Leigh Day

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

sorry about the 2 cakes the program Said "Internal error and not posted" obviously it lied!!!!!

• sparky823
    14 years ago

I read that the Cascade Pacs and all the tabs can cause this problem. There is more detergent in them than is needed and the rest of it clogs up the pump. I had a similar situation with Cascade Gel.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I have only two words of wisdom as a coda to this saga: Miele tabs. Found a new source today and ordered 2 boxes. Cut them in half and you'll never use too much soap plus they go twice as far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele tabs online

• stingo
    14 years ago

Rococogurl,

Thanks for the link, thats cheaper than buying directly from Miele.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Great prices and fast delivery -- 3 days. Tabs just arrived along with Hepa filter and my floor wax for $3 less than I can buy it locally. Glad I found this source and to pass it along.