Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dshrager

30" Wall Oven - desperate for help

dshrager
9 years ago

We are doing a new kitchen with a wolf 48" rangetop, wolf steam/combi wall oven and are stuck on the wall oven. We have ruled out the wolf wall ovens for a variety of reasons including cost and the flaking issue.

We had been set on the Kitchenaid KEBS109BSS but all of the complaints about noise issues, uneven baking, and poor customer service have been scaring us off (we recently found a new floor model @ Sears Outlet for a VERY affordable rate).

So, now we are lost.. Have read these forums and many other places, are not looking for the high end brands with the single wall oven. Reading here, Bosch seems to be a good alternative? GE?

We bake often; cookies are in the oven multiple times per week. We have been happy for the last 10 years with 27" Kenmore ovens (w/o convection) which ironically enough bake even and hold temp well. With the wolf steam, this wall oven will be used predominately for baking and occasional broiling.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Comments (23)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I'd look at Electrolux, Bosch and GE. Kenmore has never made anything, it is just Sears rebranding of stuff from other manufacturers. Your Kenmore was either made by Electrolux or GE, I can tell which if you post your model number here.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 14:44

• kathleen_li
    9 years ago

I am looking too. My Thermador 30 in double wall oven is 12 years old and the top oven died after trying to use the self clean option. The parts are no longer available. In the first 5 years I had it , the oven was serviced 15 times. Almost everything was replaced. Obviously I will not buy another Thermador. I have 2 Bosch dishwashers that have had many problems also.

Would love to hear from double electric wall oven owners who are happy with their ovens. Thanks in advance.

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

You can do a search on this forum for the Electrolux ovens. People here seem happy with them except for the problem with flaking of the blue interiors. Recent posts indicate that the problem has been resolved, but Electrolux has chosen to stop replacing them under warrantee, which is a worry. As to GE, the last I read here was that they had sold their large appliance business to Electrolux, but you can still find GE products. We have a plain, non convection GE Profile that has worked OK except for the control panel which gets finicky once in a while. I have to pound it with my palm to get buttons to work. When it goes I will probably get an Elux.

• kathleen_li
    9 years ago

I will look into the Electrolux. Thank you.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

We purchased the 30" electrolux icon oven and microwave combo. It's not installed yet but we did a lot of research and we are very excited!

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Anyone know anything about the DCS wall ovens? To be honest, I saw them on the TV show, America's Test Kitchen, and thought they looked great. But just because an appliance is on a TV show, doesn't mean they're good. But I can't find anything about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: DCS Wall Oven

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

They're the same as the Fisher/Paykel ovens, I'd look for reviews on those. There have been things written about them on this forum in the past, but I haven't seen anything as of late.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I have the Thermador double ovens with microwave. While the ovens are good, I wouldn't buy them again. The control panel has been replaced. I was lucky, the repair house still had a replacement. My repairman said to never run the self-cleaning option on this oven. The wiring to the control panel was not well insulated and it would melt if exposed to the high temperature of the self-cleaning mode. It is occasionally temperamental about temperature, too. I find myself recycling it on and off upon occasion to jumpstart the thermostat.

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

Hearing about bad control panels on Thermador ovens (some cause by self-clean) makes me wonder if Bosch ovens are also affected. This is such a common problem and has been for years, why don't the engineers design away that flaw. It seems to be a problem with wall ovens in general and not with ranges.

• LE
    9 years ago

It was a tossup between Bosch and Electrolux for us and we ended up getting the Electrolux. We had to have 3 delivered before we kept one, though, which was a little disconcerting to say the least. The first two had been torqued or something during shipping and were no longer "square." We noticed small piles of blue glass in the bottom of the boxes. I don't know if a whole container got dropped or what. We kept the third one and it has been great so far, thought it has only been a few months and we don't live in that house yet. I do love the way it looks and performs, and the user interface is just so intuitive. It is the non-Icon Wave Touch. I'm sure the Bosch would have been great, we just had to decide and had narrowed it down to one of those two.

• kathleen_li
    9 years ago

That sounds awful, Lori. I really want something that has a good performance record. I don't have the patience to waito for 3 deliveries.
    I wish you good luck with it. It took my Thermador ovens about 6 months before the first breakdown happened.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Good to hear you like your (hopefully last) Elux.

They just recently switched factories for that oven, and that might have something to do with the shipping issues.

• wekick
    9 years ago

"Posted by lori_inthenw
    ... we ended up getting the Electrolux. We had to have 3 delivered before we kept one, though, which was a little disconcerting to say the least. The first two had been torqued or something during shipping and were no longer "square." We noticed small piles of blue glass in the bottom of the boxes. I don't know if a whole container got dropped or what."

There was one brand of oven(none discussed in this thread) several years ago that had blue enamel issues on delivery with some on this forum and it was thought at the time that the damage was from the ovens being stacked in the warehouse and they are not supposed to be stacked.

I have had an Electrolux oven since 08 and the first one had loose shards on delivery. They immediately replaced it and it was fine until 4 yrs 8 mos when the bottom started crazing and coming off. The lining was replaced under the service plan I had bought through the dealer. The cost was around $430 to the warranty company but I think if I had gotten bids, it would have been less. I really like the oven otherwise and it might be difficult to find something that functions as well.

If I had to buy a wall oven now I would be tempted to buy another but I would buy the longest extended warranty that I could. It would cover any problems with the electronics. Do not buy it from Electrolux because they exclude the enamel.

Limitations of Coverage - This Contract Does Not Cover:
    Cosmetic damage such as, but not limited to, scratches, dents, rust or stains. Nonfunctional parts such as, but not limited to, plastics, internal and external finishes including porcelain enamel, knobs and dials.

I would not run the self clean either.
    There are other service plans but read them carefully. I would also look any oven you buy over well with a flashlight inside and out when it is delivered.

Another alternative is the oven Electrolux makes for Sears that has a gray interior. It has dual fans but does not have the lower temp setting that are on my Electrolux. It only goes down to 170F.
    Kenmore Elite

• JLondon75
    9 years ago

ugh... I'm in the market for a single 30" wall oven and have been looking at both Bosch and Electrolux, but the self-cleaning feature is something I really need for several reasons (one of which is that we keep a kosher kitchen and the self-cleaning mode is the best/easiest way to make an oven kosher for passover). I've heard one horror story after another about ovens shutting down or enamel flaking after a self-clean cycle. Anyone have any experience or advice with the current 30" wall ovens and self-cleaning cycles?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

To the extent self-clean is a problem for ovens with electronics, the problems exist in all brands. I haven't had one die yet from using self-clean, but I guess it could happen anytime.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

Hopefully my 30 inch Bosch benchmark oven will be hooked up today -- I'll report in once I've put it through its paces.

• gardeningnovice
    9 years ago

I agonized over my 30" wall oven choice - the more I read, the more I realized that there are few perfect options. After a very discouraging conversation with the Wolf customer service, I narrowed it down to the DCS and the Electrolux. I purchased the DCS, for many reasons, but in large part due to the absence of blue enamel. DCS has fewer reviews, so it was an uncomfortable decision. I've had the oven for one month and so far it's been really great. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

My benchmark side-swing oven has been in for almost a week. Interior is dark grey - lovely! I've done a bit of baking (bread, cookies) and roasted 10 pans of tomatoes. It performed well, and while I could hear the fan for the convection, it wasn't irritating to me. Hope this helps someone.

• jen9
    9 years ago

In a similar boat - currently shopping for 30" double wall ovens to replace GE. Thought we were set on Dacor, but then a salesperson scared me. Two salespersons have told me Dacor is the best if you actually cook/bake - one salesperson told me they see a lot of complaints. Don't know what to believe, so very interested in reading about the experiences of others.
    (As for our GE Profiles ... the self-clean stopped working right after the warranty ran & the top oven has now stopped working altogether. Wouldnt pick GE again.)

• agk2003
    9 years ago

we were in a similar boat- went with the 36" wolf all gas but decided against the wolf wall oven due to issues w/the blue interior. we went with the bosch benchmark side swing. yet to be installed so i can't give any review. i got sort of mesmerized by the coolness of the side swing door:) also really liked that it was a rather large oven cavity compared to others.

• dshrager
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Juno_barks - thanks for the feedback on your experience with the Benchmark. We are narrowed down to Bosch and choosing the 500, 800, or the Benchmark with side swinging door.

• sustainli
    9 years ago

DSDecatur - we are making the same decision between the Bosch 500 (love the dials, told that it is much quieter than the 800 since less electronics) and the benchmark with side swinging door. What did you decide? Does anyone have experience with either? Thanks!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>love the dials, told that it is much quieter than the 800 since less electronics

That makes no sense. The 500 should have the same amount of electronics as the 800. The only differences is it has knobs connected to its electronics, whereas the 800 has some extra buttons instead. And amount of electronics shouldn't make a difference in noise levels, if there are any electronics at all that means you need a certain amount of ventilation for them, which means you need a cooling fan that will make a certain amount of noise, no matter how many control boards there are or how big they are.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area