Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovesnoopy

Help with New Range-Brand, Gas or Smooth top

lovesnoopy
12 years ago

We will be replacing a 20+ year old gas range in the next few weeks. For awhile I had been thinking that I wanted to change to an electric smooth top range, but now I feel like I may stay with natural gas. We are looking for a 30 inch with a convection oven (know there are different types of convection). Our price range will be between $800 to 1300. So far, I've seen Samsung, Kenmore, LG, and Frigidaire brands mostly in this range. I wasn't even considering Frigidaire, but I've recently learned that it's made by Electrolux, so I may add it for consideration.

We are a busy family of five that cooks at home a lot. Unfortunately, other appliances are close to their deathbeds as well, so we may be replacing a refrigerator and a washer and dryer soon. I may even consider a multi-appliance purchase if it seems to be the better route.

Please share any good/bad experiences with any ranges in this price range. Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

When my wife and I started looking for a replacement for our 28 year old electric coil piece of manure that was in the house when we bought it many years ago, we originally started looking in that exact price range, 800-1300.
    We were also (at the time) looking for resale value as we "were" planning on selling our house so we wanted the best bang for the buck and kitchens are by far the best bang for your dollar as far as resale.

So we looked and looked, the best resale wise was obviously either Induction or Gas.
    Induction was ridiculously expensive so we dropped that from the lineup almost immediately.

So a gas stove that was decent about the best we could find were the Kenmores, which BTW are made by various different manufacturers from Whirlpool, Electrolux, GE etc. depends on what model and you can figure out who made it by the first 3 numbers in the model number and compare it to a chart.

We looked at all the various Kenmore models and were about to buy one that was $1300 but I looked on Garden Web and saw several people talking about a NXR range.
    Basically a pro style gas range for about $500 more than we were going to spend on frankly a rather cheaply made, lite duty, lite little grates, only one burner putting out decent BTUs and had a electric panel of which if it goes out the whole stove is worthless and cost several hundred to replace.

So we sprung for the NXR and did so largely because we wanted our kitchen remodel to really sell the house and the NXR looks fantastic, hell of a lot better than any of the standard sub $2000 ranges.

So glad that we did, now we are staying for probably at least another 5-6+ years and I am really enjoying cooking on this range, so much better than ANY of the Kenmores.
    My wifes best friend bought a Kenmore Elite for over $1900 and it is no where close to as nice as our NXR that we got for $1799.00 delivered to the door.
    It weighs in around 350# on the shipping crate which is at least 100# more than her Kenmore Elite.
    It is a very solid stove with heavy grates, heavy racks in the oven, excellent very nice solid brass double stack burners same ones that come on Wolf stoves and all 4 put out 15,000BTU and also go down to a very low simmer, very solid well insulated door and 100% 304 stainless on all four sides and the top.
    All in all well worth the extra few hundred that we were about to spend on a stove that was no where even close to as nice. It was a major stretch for us to spring for $1800 for the stove alone, but the NXR was soooooo much better and all the other pro style ranges you can pretty much add another $1000+ so those were not even an option for us.

If you can't do the $1800-$2000 then probably stick with the kenmore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Who makes Kenmore?

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

It's the other way around, Electrolux is made by Frigidaire! ;)

In your price range, look at the couple of induction ranges like the Kenmore and Samsung available, as I think you can catch them on sale occasionally. With us so close to Black Friday sales, if you can wait until then, I bet you can get some real deals. A gas range in that price is more problematic if you want semi pro features. There's the NXR mentioned above, but the flip side to that is any current vent that you have won't be sufficient to deal with it. In fact, probably any new stove that you buy will also need a new vent to go with it. The two go together. Other choices in your price range would be one of the GE Profiles with the second cooking drawer below and griddle top, or if you can bump up your budget, the GE Cafe, which I have and love.

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

If you change to electric don't forget about the cost of running the electric circuit. If you don't have at least 200 amp service coming into your house you will likely have to upgrade your whole service panel. Even if you do the cost to just add a line for the range can be substantial. If you have enough power coming in, and you have the access and abaility to do it yourself that might make it more attractive. I am a gasser myself, but if I went with electric I would go for induction. The NXR is only 15,000 BTU, and uses the same basic burner as a Wolf. Your current vent may be just fine, especially if it's vented outside, depending on your cooking style.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

"It's the other way around, Electrolux is made by Frigidaire! ;)"

Wrong!!!!!!

Electrolux owns Frigidaire,Elux bought them a number of years ago.

Gary

• lovesnoopy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so far. I was able to get my husband out today to look at the features and price ranges of several brands. When you've had a range as old as our is, you really get behind on a lot of product knowledge. Our current range even has the broiler in the storage drawer area, so I had to show my husband that none of them that we would consider even do that anymore.

Also, thanks for bringing up the vent for the newer ranges. I will definitely check on what to do about that since our current vent is not to the outside and is only through a filter.