Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennymama

LG vs. Samsung French Door Fridge

jennymama
16 years ago

I'm trying to decide between the two. I am looking at the models with water/ice in the door. I've read lots of reviews, and it seems as though they are both pretty good. Sounds like the ice/water dispenser on the LG is small (only a 12oz cup will fit), haven't really read many complaints on the Sumsung.

Anyone with a preference?

Comments (17)

• jeri
    16 years ago

Hi Jenny!

IÂve not seen the Samsung in person, so I canÂt comment on that one. I have had my eye on the LG for some time now. What I like is that the ice machine is in the left door  so it doesnÂt take up any refrigerator shelf space. The other FDÂs IÂve seen take up quite a bit of refrigerator and door space. I also really like the tilt out freezer door  it will make access to frozen items that much easier. Also  did you know the shelves pull out to make access to items in the back easier? IÂm not sure how useful this will be in practice, but I thought it was kinda coolÂ

As for the 12 oz cup fit  I have 2 things to say on that. First  I have never had a water dispenser that could fit a larger cup. I was actually surprised when I read that this was an issue. IÂve always just tilted my cups and have no problem filling what ever I wanted. I thought all refrigerators were the same until I read differently. So, to me, this would be a non-issue. However, the second thing I have to say is  Have you seen the new LG Model: LFX25980??? It boasts the TALLEST water dispenser on the market  11.8" clearance for water. IÂve seen this new model at Home Depot  itÂs really a good looking unit.

All that being said  you will find that many of the folks on this forum do not like LG. Several have had problems with customer support. IÂm tempted to not buy an LG because of these reviews, however, I have also read from some who have had very positive experiences, so I think for the features it offers that the others do not, I will end up with an LG. :-)

• weedmeister
    16 years ago

I've seen the Samsung and I like its layout a bit better than the LG. It also has a larger ice maker in that it is not on the door but in a separate 'compartment' at the upper left of the fridge. This is similar in layout to the Maytag. But where the Maytag has spots for canned drinks, the Samsung has little shelves. It also has a 'nicer' display panel with actual temps for freezer/fridge. The pullout drawer has a flipup panel for inserting large pizza boxes vertically.

The Maytag has two half-width drawers in the freezer mounted on ballbearing rails. The Samsung has a single full-width drawer (besides the main pullout).

• kharmony
    16 years ago

My stainless steel Samsung from Lowe's was just delivered on Monday (Lowe's was very good to deal with and was willing to work with me on price). I love it! I looked at the LG, Amana and the Samsung. I heard some complaints about the LG randomly dropping ice. I actually ordered the Amana from Sears.com but they screwed up my order and it was never placed. Then I saw the Samsung at Lowe's. It was priced the same as the Amana but with a nicer dispenser. I also liked the layout better as mentioned by Weedmeister. I don't buy canned drinks so those spots were useless to me in the LG. I do store frozen mugs and the pizza box holder is great for those. The Samsung is very quiet and the temperature constant (there were some posts here on a different model of Samsung not having a consistent temperature). Negatives I've seen: My husband fills his water bottle at the frig and you have to bend down to see the little water spout (I don't know about the LG but he didn't need to on our old frig). The Samsung (and either the Amana or LG, but not both) have a drawer that stretches the entire width of the frig. In order to open this you have to open both frig doors. This doesn't bother me but other posters have seen this as a negative.

• jeri
    16 years ago

IÂm confused The LG IÂve been looking at doesnÂt have a place for canned drinks in the door. We must be talking about different models IÂve been looking at the LFX25960  a standard depth model. Does the Samsung from LoweÂs have ice in the door???

• jennymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jeri - you are right. I just checked the LG at HD and Sears, and they both look like your picture.
    However, the LG at Sears, is $2249.99, model LFX259500.

Wonder what the difference is between the two? Will check it out.

• jeri
    16 years ago

I donÂt think the 25950 has the tilt feature on the freezer door  which is something I really want. BTW  the best price I have found for the 60 is at Cutting Edge Appliances

What color do you want? IÂm leaning toward the TitaniumÂ

• weedmeister
    16 years ago

Jeri: yes, the samsung has ice in the door. From your picture, note that with the LG, the icemaker an icestorage are behind that smaller door on the left.

With the sammy and maytag, the icemaker is in the upper left of the refrigerator (left of the yellow bowl in the picture). This gives it a greater ice capacity and you gain a little self space on the door.

I've read that people have complained that the LG ice maker doesn't work that well in this model, making small cubes at a low rate.

• jeri
    16 years ago

IÂm just loathed to give up internal fridge space. I have a SxS now and never have enough space. The left door is less important to me than the internal shelves and DH only wants ice in the door for his evening cocktail. :-) I can keep more ice in the freezer for other usesÂ

Still  IÂve not made any decisions yet and will check out the Samsung  I hadnÂt realized it had ice in the door. The GE Profile (I think it is a new model) also has the ice where you say the Samsung does. It has a couple other features DH likes too  like the half shelf adjacent to the ice maker flips up to allow for taller items. And, one of the shelves on the other side slides down and under its back half so you can again fit taller items when the need arises. Cool features for sure, but less overall fridge capacityÂ

• kharmony
    16 years ago

I replaced my sxs with the Samsung french door w/ ice dispenser. Even though they were the same size, I have MUCH more room in the Samsung. The Samsung also has the half shelf for taller items. Sorry - the soda can spots were in the Amana, not the LG. The Samsung does not have the tilt-out drawer in the freezer like the LG does. While I was shopping, a few salespeople expressed displeasure with the way the LG doors come together versus the Samsung and Amana/Maytag. The LG does not have the strip but instead the seals meet together when the doors close. They said they have had the seals wearing out prematurely (and showed me one of them) where the seals hit each other. I don't know if anyone has experienced this at home.

• weedmeister
    16 years ago

Obviously, its a trade off. Those who complained about poor capacity in the LG were folks with 4 or more filling their tumblers with ice, or doing parties and such.

As far as a model with the ice maker in the lower freezer, most all of them that I've seen are a pain to reach (having a sore back and such).

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Do a search on this forum and the laundry forum. Search for LG and read about the good and the bad and the service issues. Then decide if you want LG or Samsung or something else.

• jennymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kharmony - it's funny, the HD appliance guy was touting the 'no strip' on the LG as a great thing, saying that the strip can make it more difficult to close!

I definetely want the water/ice option in the door. And I agree, the ice in the bottom looks like a pain.

Pricewise, I can probably get a better deal on the LG. I most likely will only be able to get 10% off the Samsung at Lowes. But, overall I feel more inclined to go with the Samsung, and it seems to have more positive reviews.

Oh the decisions!

• kharmony
    16 years ago

jennymama - I bought 3 appliances at Lowe's. They matched my lowest price on the other two. The only price I had to match on the frig was for the Amana. They came within $100 of the Amana so I was willing to go for the Samsung (especially since my husband didn't like the soda can holders and needed somewhere to put the frosted mugs in the freezer for smoothies). I have always purchased my appliances at Sears so this was a stretch for me. I have been very impressed with Lowe's through the process. I also bought the Bosch dual-fuel free-standing range and the Jenn-air convection/microwave, which were both special order items for them. The salesman called me several times to update me on the progress of my special orders. When the range didn't arrive when expected, they went ahead and delivered my other items and then brought the range the day after they received it. It was great communication.

• jennymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kharmony, good to know! Thanks!

• ericpd
    16 years ago

Jeri - We just purchased the 950TT this morning from HD. It's last year's model and is now down to $1849 @ HD and $1844 @ Lowes. The 960 is this years model. It's the one with the Tilt Freezer Door. There are some other sutble differences as well and some not so sutble. Other ways to visually tell the two apart is by the display. The 950 has individual buttons while the 960 allows selections with contacts hidden under a membrane,... or is it membrain. Can't remember!! The 950 is accented with light gray plastic and the 960 sports black plastic. The 950 is Titanium while the 960 is Stainless,... TT vs ST. And the 960's internal shelfing and compartments looks a lot more modern. I was lucky (as far as price is concerned),... I got mine (new in box from warehouse) from HD for $1475.99 after a Lowes price match + 10% and some other discounting. $1604.80 after taxes and delivery charges. Not bad!

Does anyone know of any performance or quality difference between the two? Stuff deeper than the eye can see?

• sunnylpc
    16 years ago

For what its worth, my sister-in-law has an LG french door WITHOUT the icedispenser in the door, and every time she opens the freezer drawer ice cubes spill into the freezer. She loves it otherwise.