Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ootm_mom

Lacanche, 39" vs 43", and gas vs. electric

OOTM_Mom
10 years ago

Hello All,
I've been lurking and gathering a lot of good information here, thank you! I have an unexpexted kitchen remodel (leaky GE cafe dishwasher). I want to replace my 30" dual fuel GE cafe with a Lacanche. Deciding between 39" Volnay, and 43" Chassagne. I was considering a gas oven for the Lacanche and getting a separate electric wall oven. (Secondary question, what single electric wall oven do you like?) I was hoping the gas oven could be used in the event of a power outage (which happens to me frequently and for days at a time), does anyone know if the gas oven can be used in a power outage? Can the electric thermostat be bypassed? If I cannot use the gas oven in a power outage, I am considering going with two electric ovens (Saulieu, 43") and ditching the electric wall oven. Then the question becomes, are those two ovens large enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas cooking?

I was also wondering if I would miss the extra room on the rangetop that the 43" provides? I regularly cook for 4 very hungry boys, so I cook in large pots and pans, and get frustrated with my 30" range. I kinda think that 39" will seem plenty big enough, but then again, I dont want to wish I had gotten the one with more room later! (I am pretty sure I want the traditional top, and four burners) The other consideration is that the wall where this range will be is not very long. The 39", with a 42" venthood, would allow for a 12" cabinet on either side, possible 15", whereas the 43" range may only get a 9" or no cabinet on one end, since I guess it would require a 48" venthood. I'm not that strapped for cabinet space, but I think a larger cabinet would look better, and be more usefull than a narrow one. (Picture of wall where new range would be replacing current 30" range attached)

And of course, I really need to make a decision quickly if I want any sort of a kitchen before Christmas (I'd still be using the 30" range, but at least my cabinets could get mostly installed if I decide on the size of the range.)

Thank you! Happy Halloween!

Comment (1)