Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claga_gw

Need New Dishwasher / 4 year old Electrolux is $550 to fix

claga
9 years ago

Hi
We have a 3 1/2 year old Electrolux DW that is leaking and will cost $550 to fix.
Our repairman said the Electrolux have a lot of problems and recommends either a Maytag or a Whirlpool.
Does anyone have any recommendations, pros and cons for either the Maytag or Whirlpools?
Or for any other brand name for that matter.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Ciaga,
    Could you get a second opinion? That seems very expensive to fix a leak.

• scrapula
    9 years ago

I'm renting a home right now. In the 3 years that I've lived here, the decade old GE dishwasher broke and needed to be replaced. The landlord installed a Blomberg. It was nice. Stainless Steel
    inside and cleaned well. But, the push button controls broke in two weeks. No parts could be found locally, as it was made in Turkey. They replaced it with a stainless steel Whirlpool. It has a poorly designed utensil tray in the door. It is always coming loose, or items fall out into the bottom of the dishwaher. Plus, it cannot clean anything well. If there is a small piece of cheese on a knife, it will still be there at the end of the cycle, but baked on. So, everything must be clean before you load. I end up washing pots and pans by hand.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

If it is truly broken and in the budget, consider a Bosch. The entry level Ascentas are still quite good. I've owned 4 over the years (different kitchens) and none have every failed -- the industry reported repair rates are also among the best. Although they are European, many/most of the models are made in the US, if that is a consideration.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Maytag, Bosch, Miele, Asko. No Whirlpool please.

• nanj
    9 years ago

I have a mid-level Whirlpool Gold that is about 3 years old and have been extremely pleased with the way it cleans. I don't rinse dishes, don't wash every day (about every 2.5 days) and everything comes out perfectly clean. I love the way my stainless steel cookware gleams when it comes out. My sister has a similar Whirlpool Gold (stainless steel tub) and also thinks it does a super job - and she is hard to please.

We had GE Service out to repair our refrigerator (12 years old, 3 repairs, ugh) and the service rep said that the old style GE dishwashers were awful - he had one. But GE has come out with a new design and he said it does an amazing job for his family. Just thought I'd throw that in for what it is worth.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

3 year old Whirlpool Gold is pretty much the same as today's Maytag... much better than current Whirlpool

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

You should never have to wash dishes before or after they go in to the dishwasher. Yeah reliability is mediocre on most brands. Bosch or kitchen aid for mainstream products serve my customers well. Miele is my personal fav. Yeah I have a crapped out 4 year old Electrolux in my basement maybe some day I will get the parts. 5-8 years is all most decent dishwashers will last. Rarely more than 10 years given the design, Miele being the exception.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm