Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayerg73_gw

Bosch dishwasher problem

ayerg73
12 years ago

A few weeks ago we had a Bosch 800+ (SHE7ER55UC) installed.

Overall I love it. I had noticed some water condensation on the top of the door, but hadn't given it much thought.

Last night I realized that the wood under the formica counter top above the dishwasher has begun to swell.

Has anyone else had this problem?

We will be remodeling in the Spring and will have soapstone tops, so that shouldn't be an issue later, I don't think.

Any suggestions about what the issue might be?

Comments (9)

• antss
    12 years ago

It definitely steam from the unit when you open the door.

Nothing you can do about it now. Will be fine with non wood tops.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I originally posted this a few months ago.

Since then, the problem has gotten worse and worse. The counter top above it is swollen and a total mess. I didn't worry about it so much because we are remodeling in April and I thought it would be fixed then (not that it made any sense to me how such an expensive dishwasher could ruin a counter top unless you had stone...)

Now the dishwasher door won't shut keeping me from even running the dishwasher.

I called the appliance store and the man became defensive immediately. He told me that there's no way it's the Bosch's fault because it doesn't make steam and has no heating element.

He told me to call their appliance service company to come out and take a look but that he didn't think there was anything they could do.

I feel like I'm going to get stuck here. Any advice or ammo before I see the service people? I'd appreciate any help!

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Your dealer is confused and wrong ... Bosch dishwashers do have heating elements, and all dishwashers can emit steam/moisture.

I'd figure there's a problem with either your machine (door misaligned, witness: not shutting now) or the installation (can also cause misalignment if the machine isn't anchored properly).

• TonySak
    12 years ago

No this is how the bosh's are. I have 2 800 series and steam from the door does rise. Condensation also forms on the top of the control panel (hidden controls). I am sure bosh put a rubber membrane where the buttons go so the unit doesn't fail.

During drying I don't recall seeing steam break thru the door seal. I would do the dishes in the evening and let everything cool and condense in the unit overnight. Thats the best you can do until you get stone.

To fix the counter top, I guess you could shave off the swollen wood and try to wrap plastic around it for the next few months if you wanted too. or just replace the section of the counter top with new. It would only be for a few months, you could probably fine a 24" section of wood as scrap somewhere if you aren't picky. Thats up to you but the unit is normal.

• ginih
    12 years ago

This happened with my Bosch. The servicer came out and put a strip of foil up under the cabinet edge. Yep--that was the cure. He said the installer is supposed to put some kind of a plate there to prevent this.

• jakvis
    12 years ago

If the d/w is not installed correctly it can keep the door from closing completely and sealing against steam. The Bosch D/W has a gasket all the way around the where the door seals against the d/w. Check to see if the door is binding against the countertop which may let the door close far enough to run but leave a small opening for steam to excape. If the unit is new your servicer should be able to see this.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. The repairman that came out was pretty awesome. He said that the only time a Bosch would do this kind of damage is if there's an issue...and there was.

The original installer sort of jammed the dishwasher in and there just wasn't the space for it. There is a small piece of wood running all along the right side of the dishwasher squaring the cabinets to the counter in that spot. It was apparently pushing the dishwasher just enough to the left at the top to create enough torque on the door to keep it from shutting correctly.

So, basically I have to get a contractor out here before the new trim kit my repairman ordered gets in and he needs to uninstall the DW, remove that piece of trim running all the way to the back, cut the swollen wood from the bottom of the counter and possibly remove some shoddily installed tiles under the dishwasher to allow it to sit better so that it can then be put back in and run til April.

The repairman suggested putting a couple of coats of paint under the countertop to repel moisture from this point forward. He also suggested I ask my homeowners insurance to cover the contractor fees...not sure if I'll bother. I guess it will depend on the costs...

• antss
    12 years ago

"ask my homeowners insurance to cover the contractor fees...not sure if I'll bother. I guess it will depend on the costs..."

don't do that !

insurance is for catastrophic loss - not a damaged counter top you'll replace in 6 months.

Claim that, and you'll get a black mark on your record that won't be worth the few hundred bucks a laminate top and some light carpentry costs.

I'd ask / demand / sue the orig. installer for faulty service before claiming against my insurance.

• lonsdajk
    9 years ago

My floppy door has been repaired again. New base was installed-and new springs and cable. Just so you know, Bosch has a new "clip" to hold the cable. It is a metal one which slides into the base. Repairman said that has he known that, he would not have ordered a new base, because the new 'clip' could just slide into the slots provided. A new base was unnecessary. Bosch tech support that he called did not know this either.
    I am attaching a picture-which I hope will make this clearer. In the picture on the right side of the spring-about 2 inches to the left you can see the top and bottom of the slot. A metal piece slides in the slot and This is now what the spring attaches to. Fingers crossed that this is the final solution.