Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
workingmomx3

Dishwasher Recommendations

workingmomx3
9 years ago

Need to replace our old builder grade dishwasher (Whirlpool DU915PWKB0). My husband does NOT want to invest in a high-end dishwasher because he fully expects us to be moving in the next 2 years. With that in mind, what would you recommend for a dishwasher in the under $600 range? I *might* be able to stretch to $800, but not likely.

Current appliances are Whirlpool and black (all 12 years old). Fridge is GE Profile Arctica and stainless steel.

I wash pots by hand.

My husband does want one that is quieter. We have the ubiquitous "open concept kitchen" and the sound impedes television watching.

Comments (13)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Bosch dishwashers are known to be very quiet. We also have an open kitchen and watch tv with no problem while it's running.

• scrapula
    9 years ago

A normal conversation is 60DBs and a whisper is 15DBs. I can barely hear a dishwasher when it is 45DBs. You should be able to find a $600 machine that is between 50 and 60 DBs. I think the GE machines are around 57DBs and $600.

• workingmomx3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've looked at consumer reports.org for ratings. They are not always the best. Any other suggestions on where to look? Thanks.

• chitownkat
    9 years ago

Whirlpool Gold WDT710PAYB (black) - love it! We have had since March. Super quiet. Hidden controls on top. We paid about $350.
    It comes in stainless too but I like the black better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Gold Dishwasher

• annaship1
    9 years ago

My new Bosch is 44 db and I can barely hear it. I certainly can't hear it in the next room. As a matter of fact, it has a little red LED that shines on the floor so that you can tell whether it is on or not. That being said, I am not yet sold on it. If you wash a lot of tupperware-type plastic containers, it can leave a load pretty wet. It does a good job drying just dishes, glassware, and silverware. It uses a condensing drying system rather than a heated drying system like most older dishwashers. It saves energy, which is great, but it will take me a while to get used to it.

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

As I reported in another thread, consumeraffairs.com gives reports from customers that have had problems with their appliances. I suggest you look up any model you are considering.

• jakkom
    9 years ago

If you are not moving, then Miele or Bosch stand head and shoulders above every other mfg in DWs. I have a TOL KitchenAid and it's a piece of plastic compared to M. However, I have odd-shaped dishware and really huge cookware, which simply did not fit well in European DWs (M at the time did not have the flexible tine system).

If you are moving, stay away from GE DWs. They are THE WORST performing DW of all. Even if you move in 2 yrs, you will spend that time cursing them as you manually re-wash half the dishes you just ran through the DW cycle. Can you tell what brand I used to have, LOL?

Stick with Whirlpool or Kenmore, purchased on sale.

• scrapula
    9 years ago

The worst dishwasher I've had is the new one they put in my rental home. It is a whirlpool WDF510PAYS. It's not that loud, but it does a poor job of cleaning the dishes. You need to wash them first. There's a site called dishwasher reviews and the model priced above this one (530) has the same problem with pics of the dirty dishes after being washed by this P.O.S.

• Cadyren
    9 years ago

I have a Maytag that is 2 years old & probably a middle model, as I had to pick for color back then. I think the decibel is 54. Son just purchased a new one for his house & the decibels are down to 47 I think. Mine cleans better than my 1995 Maytag, which was great & is pretty quiet. Son's is even better. I like Maytag for their food choppers & even though they are now owned by Whirlpool, the two are not the same.

• allen456
    9 years ago

Bosch. We replaced our builder grade Kenmore(?) with a Bosch. The silence is amazing!

• bowyer123
    9 years ago

I love my Thermador branded Bosch dishwasher (s). Very quiet. I always use the delay feature so the dishes wash while i'm in bed. If it runs when we are awake, it it very quiet....and the light on the floor is needed so you know it's on!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The Whirlpool DU900's had some of the best performing and durable pump modules ever made, for people who actually get their dishes dirty and don't pre rinse them whatsoever. Calling it builder grade doesn't do it justice, many who switch from these dishwashers to newer designs are quite disappointed.

• angiedfw
    9 years ago

This is a timely post.

The repair service just left my house, after telling me that my 18-month-old KitchenAid dishwasher (model KUDS30IXSS8), which we bought new and spent over $1000 to purchase and install, needs a $470 pump assembly.

There is no warranty in effect, of course, so I have to call KA today and get them to understand how ridiculous this situation is.

I am tempted to just wash dishes by hand at this point. It makes no sense to be buying these expensive pieces of machinery every year or so, if the manufacturer cannot stand behind the product.

Thanks for letting me vent.