Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kharmony_gw

Does the stainless in your kitchen match?

kharmony
16 years ago

This is driving me crazy. How can some be so blue and others be so white??? I'm trying to get over the fact that my otr microwave is in the blue range while my range is in the white category. I'm hoping to hear others have the same situation and don't even notice it.

Comments (10)

• beth4
    16 years ago

Sorry - my stainless does match. I have SZ fridge, across aisle from F-P DDs; then further away is Wolf range; and next to SZ fridge is Panasonic microwave.....although that is such a small item, I don't think it would stand out even if it didn't match. What really surprised and pleased me is how well F&P goes with SZ fridge.

• weissman
    16 years ago

Mine doesn't match completely - I have shiny stainless on my range and MW, and brushed stainless on my fridge, DW, and compactor and they all look fine together. In fact even though the fridge, DW. and compactor are all KA brushed stainless, the grain is slightly different if you look up close but it really doesn't matter.

• kharmony
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some of mine is more of a blue tint and the range is more silver.

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

Some of the finishes have more zinc or other metals. My experience is make sure that all of your stainless is 304 and this way, you are most likely going to get the closest match if it has the same finish. PLUS, I use different grades of finer sandpapers to keep my appliances (stove, sink, etc.) buffed up and keep any scratches undetectable.
    Side-bar and OT: My brother was telling me about a problem he has with all of their high end homes. They'd put in a $1,600 dollar Franke sink and inevitably, before the final walk-through, they'd find that one of the subs obviously used the kitchen sink and there would be all kinds of scratches, so the new home owners would demand a new sink before closing.

He saw my sink and literally marveled at how good it looked after 2+ years of use. I told him how I maintained my sink and he had not thought to do what I did. Now, he's perfected finishing the sinks even better with a small hand sander. They're not replacing sinks anymore.

• patches123
    16 years ago

I am NOT going to go look because I THINK they all match. I will not look..I keep telling myself that. So I have a Bosch Integra slide in, a KA Architect fridge, LG dishwasher and OTR hood.

I am curious how you remove scratches...we have one scratch on the fridge. Its up pretty high, so know one but me probably has noticed it.

• twoyur
    16 years ago

patches123

re: scratch removal

i was given two pads by the appliance store where I purchased most of my appliances

they are pink 3M p400 and P180

The P400 has holes through the pad and the P180 is solid

the P400 it polishes more than sands the P180 sands

as long as I go with the grain of my finish i have yet to find any scratch I could not remove

you can purchase them in the big box stores

• twoyur
    16 years ago

by the way

I thought all mine matched even though i had 4 different companies appliances

wolf
    bosch
    jenn-air
    best by broan

I looked and it does

• debhammel
    16 years ago

You know, I didn't sweat this part at all -- but it's the only thing I didn't lose sleep over!! I have SS Wolf wall oven and microwave, Dacor cooktop, Bosch dishwasher, and SubZero fridge. If they don't match, I never noticed.

• kharmony
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess the part that is bothering me is the Jenn-Air OTR microwave seems bluer than the Bosch free-standing range that it's over.

• thirtyall
    16 years ago

SubZero, Bluestar, Zhypher hood, panasonic microwave, they all seem to match well.

except Miele Optimal dW, it looks more like stainless steel paint than real stuff and hard to clean up water marks off its door.