Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cudjoegal

Induction Cook top, 24" or 30"?

Mary Readel
9 years ago

Need advice on an Induction Cook Top for our remodel. I have a small kitchen, and am wondering if a 24" cook top will be a better choice than the 30" . On my old 5 burner gas cook top, I usually used 1 or 2 burners at a time. Rarely 3.
Those who have induction cook tops, how many burners do you usually use? Anyone with a 24" cook top, how do you like it, or do you wish you had a 30"?
Thank you, in advance, for any and all help/advice!

Comments (20)

• plllog
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a 24" Gaggenau induction cooktop which I had FedEx'd from England. If you do that, make sure first that it'll pass inspection (no UL certificate if it's not made for sale in the US--perhaps it's easier in Canada), and that you have a letter from your homeowner's insurance that says it's okay.

For daily cooking, I rarely need more than the 24". It's the same as the 5 element 36" model they made at that time, without one set of the side elements. The powerful, big double ring was important to me. It's kind of a bummer that the double ring won't boost when bringing a big stock pot to a boil (protecting the electronics from overheating)--perhaps the 36" one has more and better fans--but otherwise it's been a dream.

OTOH, I also cook for mobs of family. I have two gas burners, three ovens and a warming drawer, so that takes the pressure off the space allotted to induction. Sometimes, when making a feast, I have all the elements/burners going.

If you don't cook for more than ten people at a time, I don't think you'd need more. You said you rarely even use three burners.

Keep in mind that induction is usually designed with differing power on each element. The amount of power relates to how quickly each element will cook at a given number setting. It can get annoying when one has two pots that require top power, for instance, but I think, for me, I notice because it doesn't happen to me often.

There are some cooktops, but more in 30" than 24", I think, that have more even distribution of power. If you do a lot of 2 qt. saucepans/8" skillets, which a lot of daily cooking often is, this might be useful. For me, I rarely have more than two of those at once, and the inner ring of the big double element is nearly as powerful as the larger side ring, so it works out. I use a lot of larger pots, however, even for regular meals, that require the big double ring. Besides "kettles of goop" (stock, soup, spaghetti sauce, chili, beans, etc.), I will use a 12" braiser to brown meatballs, or the same sized round griddle to make hamburgers or pancakes, etc.

It all depends on your cooking style. From what you've said, I think you'd be fine with the 24", in either layout. One thing to keep in mind, however, is saleability. Even if you have no intention to leave your home for decades, you could have an unexpected reason to want to sell your house next year. Unless you can afford to take a hit on the price you get (you can sell anything if you're not stuck on a number, but if you need to get a certain price you have to plan for it), you shouldn't over-customize. If you prefer the smaller cooktop space, so might buyers, especially if you're in a tiny condo kitchen, rather than a suburban house. Functionally, you can put a cutting board over an unused section of induction cooktop with a great deal of impunity and use it as counterspace. You could also make your cabinets and all in such a way that it wouldn't be hard to retrofit a 30" or 36" cooktop and hood without redoing the whole kitchen.

Just some things to think of. And yes, you can do either size and be fine.

• Mary Readel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your reply, info and advice. I think I will go with the 30", and think it will be a Wolf. Wolf is coming out with a new 30" induction where you can bridge the burners, which might be a nice feature for using a griddle.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

I add only these points to what pillog said so well.

1. If you go with a 24" cooktop, consider supplementing it with a portable, 120v induction unit for those occasional instances when you need/want more cooking space or another burner. Stash it when not needed. Have you seen speedlever's recent thread on portables where there was discussion of the less expensive (+/- $100) units? If not, here's a link:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0922402023045.html?24

2. You are not alone in considering smaller cooking appliances. The topic has come up several times over the last couple of years from folks looking to downsize for various reasons. The discussions have covered all kinds of stoves and cooktops, not just induction. Have you seen tinyhomebuilder's photos of his 24" Blue Star range? If not, scroll down in this link:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0117022725562.html

My sense is that having a small/unusual cooktop size will be less of a real-estate value issue over time. If the buyers want a bigger or different cooktop, they can buy one and install it for a fairly minimal cost. Not a big hit on the house price, at all. Provided, of course, that you have not skimped on the wiring to the cooktop. To allow for upgrades, it is best to have a 40 amp circuit even if the smaller cooktop only requires 30 Amp service.

3. The choice of 24" induction cooktops in the US market is --- well, the only ones I can recall are a Summit (4 burner) and a Wolf (3 burner and $$). So, if you know of additional available brands, that could be helpful to others with your design interests.

4. Pillog mentioned the option of doing your own gray-market import from overseas where there are more and better choices in the 24" (60 cm) size. There are numbers of older threads here on that subject if you want details on how to accomplish it. (These threads started back when there was very little induction product available in the US). Be aware that viewpoints on diy-gray-market imports have ranged from those who were perfectly comfortable with the risks of going that route and those who were deterred by risk of needing warranty returns and a lack of local service and support. If you consider a diy-import option, you will have to figure out what your own comfort level is.

5. The new Wolf 30" looks like a good unit. You might also want to look at the Bosch induction cooktops if you have not already done so.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 12:55

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I have a 30" induction and have only used all 4 hobs once since the July install. I cook everyday for 5 and recently made tons of freezer stuff, still using only 2 hobs.

I think a 30" is a nice size because it can also work as a landing area from the oven, which we do all the time. Some people use their cutting boards on it. I don't do this because I have enough space on either side to accommodate my board.

• dan1888
    9 years ago

You lose nothing with a 24" cooktop because both the 24" and the 30" are restricted by the front to back dimension of 21".
    Things are a little better with a slide-in range which has more like 26" of front to back space.
    Fedexing a 30lb hob from Britain costs about $150.
    AEG models are available Zoneless in 24" and 28" CE certified for 220v 50&60hz. They plug right in. And cost $800-$1k. Look for pricing and models on PricerunnerUK.

This post was edited by dan1888 on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 1:53

• plllog
    9 years ago

The reason for going 30" is to meet the expectations of the market. It's cheaper than a $10K hit because the buyer "has to remodel". I have a very custom kitchen, which was very expensive, and I went into it knowing that I would take a really big hit if I had to sell it. I have enough speculative equity (comps went up that much and didn't fall) that it didn't bother me.

Re FedEx-ing a 24" from England, mine cost less, proportionately, including the shipping and duty (FedEx took care of customs and sent me an invoice), than it would have if it had been sold here. Partly because there isn't the UL fee? Maybe. I think mostly it's a what the market will bear issue, and the logistics of flow of goods, rather than the equivalent of postage. :)

BUT, besides checking the code requirements and getting the insurance letter--it was required to have it installed by a licensed electrician--I also contacted the local Gaggenau service to make sure they were on board. Not for warranty, which probably didn't apply, but for general service issues as they might come up. I also had to get the wiring diagram translated and had some help from GW in figuring it out.

There are a lot of people with failing De Dietrich induction units out there, from before the current explosion of induction available in the U.S. They were self importing them, mostly from New Zealand, and there was one kitchen store which was also getting in a few of the units. There is no De Dietrich service here, so people have been doing their own repairs and cannibalizing out of service units for parts.

If you do decide to bring in your own, make it easier on yourself and get something with locally available service. The whizbang options aren't worth being an orphan on the street. With a locally serviced brand, you might have an orphan cousin, but at least there's family close by.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

One cool thing about induction cooktops is you can use it as extra counter space (with protection) when not using all of the burners.
    Gosh - am I the only person who uses 4-5 burners and only 2 of us.

I just saw the new Wolf on their website. It looks sleek! I saw the 36 with 5 bridge options.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Blame the combi-steam oven. :) I used to use a lot more pans on the cooktop. All steaming and poaching happen in the combi- nowadays. Also, my new kitchen's regular oven is so good, I use it more too. I used to brown meatballs in a big pan. Now I do them on a baking sheet in the oven, on parchment. They brown nicely, cook evenly with convection, and require a lot less labor. I now have a warming drawer, and use it whenever I have a pot to hold, so no low simmers for keeping things warm on the cooktop.

I've been known to use all five spots for a feast, but for everyday stuff, it's not usually more than two, whereas in the old kitchen, it was often four or more.

Edited for typos

This post was edited by plllog on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 16:56

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Thanks pillow
    I guess I am under using my oven.

• plllog
    9 years ago

I'm glad you found that intelligible! I've just fixed a couple of typos.

Whatever works for you is what works best.

Even a simple meal of pan grilled chicken breasts, mushroom/wine sauce, rice, green beans and glazed carrots would take five burners. The glazed carrots and the sauce are the only things that can't be made in the combi-steam, though I'd also do the rice on the cooktop, using the cook five minutes and set aside method. Two schools of thought: Do as much in the oven as possible to clear them out of the way. OR Do them all on the cooktop and have everything within your control zone. Either way works fine.

• Mary Readel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all, for your time and information. I really appreciated it! I have a hard time decided on things, so I appreciate you all helping.
    Now I have taken a whole new direction...I think a range will be the best choice for me, due to size constraints, etc. I am now looking at the Samsung induction range. It has some great features, including a 'divider' that makes the large oven into two that can have different temperature settings, a warming drawer, and four induction burner cook top, with two that 'bridge'. The deciding factor was...a local appliance company was recommended to me, and after speaking with him, this seems the best choice. We live in the FL Keys, close to Key West. Our electric service here is a little different, and our appliances, pool pumps, etc. take a beating. Apparently Samsung's computer can compensate for the 'surges' and uneven power we receive. So it's a safer bet to go with that brand. I like the option of the 4 door French refrigerator too, one of the bottom freezer sections temp. can be regulated to another refrigerator section. Great for us, as we have two freezers in the garage. Thank you all, for your time and hep! This website and posters are GREAT!

• plllog
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your decision! And how great to find a good local salesman who can help with things like the ideosyncratic electricity. It sounds like a great choice.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>Apparently Samsung's computer can compensate for the 'surges' and uneven power we receive

Cool that you're trying out the Samsung induction range. Please come back and review it after you've had it for a while. However, what the salesman said about Samsung's electronics being tougher sounds like BS to me. Don't take my word as final since I know very little about Samsung ranges, but I would be wary of such a claim unless it could be verified somehow.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

A2, I think the reason I use my oven so much, like Plllog, is because I make big batches for 5 plus leftovers. Anything I can bake/roast, I will. If I were making smaller amounts then I might choose the cooktop except that my Breville does such a good job, I'd likely use it.
    The exception is if I can use my stovetop pressure cooker. I can do the main and side in there if I plan well.

Maryil, is this the new one with "virtual flame technology"? This makes me laugh but does address the complaint of some that they want to adjust heat by sight, so prefer gas.
    Definitely get a manual or contact Samsung to verify the surge protection.

• Mary Readel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I also wondered about that claim about the Samsung, but he did say that he has sold mostly Samsung and the service calls on that line are very few for him. He said he doesn't even sell anything made in the U.S., as the quality is poor and he had too many calls for repairs on them. Sad to hear that, as I always try to buy U.S. made products.

Although, when I mentioned this to a neighbor, he had an interesting story. A mutual friend was an engineer, and worked for a well known U.S. toy company (don't want to get in trouble mentioning the name, but starts with 'M'...;) The company told him to design for failure in three to six months...they didn't want the toys to last longer than that. He was designing electronic type toys.

Alex, yes, the range has the 'virtual flame technology', but I think I will turn that off. I bought a Duxtop single induction portable cook top, to see if I liked induction. I really like it, and find it pretty easy to use. I have it on a small piece of counter top that is sitting on two saw horses. I have a sink sitting on two other saw horses. All my base cabinets were removed about 6 weeks ago, due to water damage from our refrigeration water line leaking, undetected for a while. I am getting along pretty well with this set up. I have mind made up regarding cabinets and counter top, but have been undecided about appliances. I would still like to have a Combi Steam Oven, as my neighbor loves hers, and I've read all the positive reviews about them. Not sure if I really need it, if I have the Samsung Range. I know it's a totally different tool for the kitchen tho. I might go ahead, as my husband said he's fine with it. Thank you all, for your time and help!

• dan1888
    9 years ago

Miele has a new 30" slide-in induction range just becoming available. The list is up there but it does include a water hookup suggesting steam capability.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

It is such a relief to finally get through all the info and get decisions made, isn't it?

I want to second what hvtech said and invite you to post back after you've used the range.

Your post led me to some additional reflections.

First, can you ask the sales rep if the Samsung Chef Slide-In has only ten power settings for each burner (as the manual indicates) or if it has half-step settings between the numbers as the other Samsung induction ranges do? This is really an appliance-geek question.

As you have been happily using the Duxtop portable with its ten power settings -- those induction portables are surprisingly capable, aren't they? --- you likely will find the Samsung very satisfactory if it does turn out to have only 10 power steps as the manual indicates. Some of us think we need or want half-step settings for controlling lower heat cooking and pressure cookers, and so are interested in this question if you can find out for us.

Second, I'm puzzled by the salesman's denigration of US made appliances. Sounds like he is painting with the proverbial too-broad brush. My experience is that many of the US-made appliances are high quality, well constructed units. I'm thinking in particular of the GE induction ranges, freestanding and slide-ins. One doesn't have to run down North American made products to choose a Samsung that seems to be a superior product for you. The sales-hyperbole and the comment about surge-protected electronics would make me want to read any fine print documents the store gives you and be sure that all promises are in writing, particularly when it comes to service, support and extended warranties.

Third, speaking of extended warranties, I'm one of those who usually shrugs-off the sales pitch for extended warranties. However, with your concerns about the quality of your local power service, it might well be worth looking into extended warranties and maybe doing some comparison shopping on plans.

Finally, a combi-steam over is indeed a different kind of kitchen tool. It is not a question of whether you need it, but whether you want it. Combi-steam ovens can do things that regular ovens cannot (and vice versa, of course.) Can you test out a few things on your neighbor's oven? An alternative possibility for you, living in the hot Florida climate, might be a countertop unit like the Cusinart CSO-300 countertop combi-steam/toaster oven. About 10% of the cost of the built-in units, and maybe less need to fire up the Samsung's larger ovens during the hotter times of the year. Just a thought.

• plllog
    9 years ago

It's sort of true that combi-steam ovens can do things that regular ovens cannot, but, really, if you know what you're doing, you can do almost everything in a regular oven that you can in a combi-steam. The combi- is the perfect thing for steaming asparagus. Just perfect. You can do it stovetop, in a wok, in a microwave, or in a regular oven, but in the steam oven, you just set it to steam, lay the asparagus in a perforated sheet pan, and put it in for 6-8 minutes (depending on size). SO easy. But it's not like you can't steam asparagus all kinds of different ways.

Same with everything else you can make in a combi-steam. If you want to have a steamy roast or bread in a regularly oven, put a ramekin of water in. For the asparagus, turn the oven to 215° or its lowest setting, and set the bottom part of a broiler pan inside with an inch of water. When it comes to temperature, and with oven gloves on, put the grid part of the broiler pan, with the asparagus laid out, on top of the pan of water. How long depends on size and temperature, but it works fine.

I LOVE my combi-steam, and you might too, but it's a convenience rather than a necessity.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Glad you made a decision and like others will be watching for the review.
    Are you in a building with an elevator? If so, the electric service will be 208 which is slower. Long story - but mom is always right.

Thanks Alex on the insight on large batch cooking.

• Mary Readel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I used to put a oven safe ramekin or dish, with water to 'moisten' meat when roasting. 'The old way'.

I am not in a place with an elevator. We are in a single family home, ground level, with electric and propane gas. We have a whole house generator, in case we have a storm and have interruption of electric service. (We live near Key West, Florida. We used to live in IL, that is why my user name is that...;)

I have told my generator installer that I know not to run all the high powered electric powered appliances at once, while on the generator. He was concerned about the AMP's on the new appliances, We have a gas and charcoal grill, so can take care of cooking there.