Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumorchard

Bosch Induction Owners - Heat Settings/Burner Sizes

plumorchard
13 years ago

We are researching the 30" NIT3065 cooktop. It has a different control panel than the 500 & 800. It doesn't have PreciseSelect but +/- buttons.

The manual states that the heat seatings range from 1-9. Then says "each heat setting has an intermediate step. This is marked with a dot." I'm reading this to mean it has 1/2 steps between each setting - if you wanted somewhere between 5 and 6 you could get there. It looks like the 500/800 have the "dots" on the selection bar. So the settings increase to 17. Am I on the right track?

Also, any feedback on burner sizing/arrangement? Any quirks? Can you use a smaller pan on the 11" burner? I've seen guidelines ranging from 1/2" to 2" depending on manufacturer.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch 300 Induction

Comments (17)

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

any owners?

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One final try....
    I'm pretty sure I've figured out the 1/2 steps and I think all is ok with the burner use - just trying for any additional feedback on the unit.

We are looking at the 300 only - frameless design/lower cost.

• fiddleddd
    13 years ago

I wish you had gotten some responses because we're looking at the Bosch 30", the model without the stainless trim....can't remember the model number off hand....I think it's the same as you're describing. Thanks for bringing this subject to my attention. So far I've mostly been looking at style as to which would look best in my kitchen, thinking most inductions were about the same. I need to check into features like this. Also, does your model have timers on each burner? Or a timer at all? Did you look at any other models seriously, and if so, why did you rule them out? Thanks!

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

fiddleddd - love the user name!

Yes, that is the same model number you are considering. It is the 300 series and new for them I think. I had looked at Bosch before but didn't like the ss strips. So when I came across this one I added it to our list of possibilities. I didn't really look at others that were trimmed in ss so that narrowed things done a bit.

We considered Ikea/Whirlpool, Bosch, Fagor, Miele - Ruled out Miele because of cost ($2399). Ikea/Whirlpool ($999) is not approved to be mounted over an oven or we would have considered it closely.

Between the Fagor and the Bosch - I was not able to see a Fagor until very recently. It is very sleek and would have been fine but when I compared it to the Bosch, the Bosch won out. The Bosch is on sale at Lowes for $1529. The Fagor has a rebate to bring the price to $1599 so almost the same. However, I do like the 1/2 step options between levels with the Bosch so 17 settings vs. 12. Bosch states they have timers on all burners (and a kitchen timer too I think- don't recall) and the Fagor (if I recall) has one timer. The Fagor does have 3 quick starts to turn on the cooktop but I didn't see anything regarding boost function. The Bosch has boost on all burners (some models limit Boost, Whirlpool 1 (I think), Ikea 3 -you can usually get that from the owners manual. Total power for both is listed at 7.2. Bosch requires 40 amp/Fagor 30 amp (more power?) Also, the Bosch has the big 11" burner and the Fagor has two 9". After seeing them both the 9" would have been fine for what we use now but I'm not sure it would accommodate some of the larger stockpots etc. It has 2 6", 1 9" and 1 11" - I liked it that the 11" was in the back. Fagor has 2 9", 1 7" and 1 6 1/2".

The controls on the Bosch 300 are different than their other models. It is an up/down arrow vs. quick select. While I see the benefit of selecting the number you want and touching it etc. It is also nice to not have all the "traffic" along the cooktop with the numbers. I can't speak to how it will work yet - it hasn't arrived.

We were able to see a display model at Lowes for the Bosch. (Newer store, only one we could find - call first!) It does have a slight pattern on the cooktop as opposed to solid black. It doesn't really detract from it and will probably help hide scratches and finger prints. The Fagor I saw on display did have fingerprints and smudges visible. Not a biggie just mentioning it.

Anyway, we did order the Bosch - it should be here any day. Can't wait to try it. We are converting from gas after 22 years!

• fiddleddd
    13 years ago

I've continued researching, and I'm leaning toward the Bosch as well. We're also considering the Kitchen Aid, but we're going to visit the appliance store this weekend and talk to the saleslady (we got a good one)about one brand vs. the other.

I'll be anxious to know how you like your Bosch, if you think of it. :-)

• cocaty
    13 years ago

fiddle - I just posted on your convection micro question. But I also have the Bosch induction cooktop. Bought it sight unseen and absolutely LOVE it. I've actually had two. The installer cracked the first one. It had the + and -. I could still use a couple burners so I got a little bit of experience with that. I didn't care for it so much. It was a slow process to go from 0 to 9. Between the time I bought mine and the time it was installed, Bosch changed the design. So, when the cracked one was replaced I got the new design where you select a burner (which I sometimes forget to do - hard to get used to European engineering where there is always an extra step) and then can hit the number you want - you can go directly to it. Have no idea about pricing on the various Bosch models and if it is the 300 or no induction - I'd definitely get the 300. But, I do prefer being able to go directly to a numbered setting.

• cocaty
    13 years ago

oops - thought fiddle was OP. Sorry plumor. Same info though.

• fiddleddd
    13 years ago

cocaty......excellent info. Thanks for sharing. Here are my thoughts on the Bosch.

First, they carry several models, which is a good sign right there....and they've been in the induction business for a while.

Bosch has a textured surface (I'm assuming yours does, right?), which I like the looks of.....plus I think it will show fewer fingerprints and/or dust.

I don't necessarily like the stainless steel trim around the 500 series Bosch (the 300 series doesn't have any trim). BUT, having the increments for controlling the level of the burner is huge!!! (I didn't like the idea of the + and - either). But I have a question.....I can't see where or how you turn on the burners. I see the numbers along the front, but how do you for instance turn on the front right burner? I tried calling Bosch customer service, but they're closed on weekends.

I think there is about a $300 difference between the 2 models....probably worth it in my book. Lucky for you that they cracked your first one, eh? :-)

Thanks so much for your input!

• earthpal
    13 years ago

We have the 500 series 36" model but it has the up/down arrows. Sometimes it is annoying to scroll thru but you get used to it. The biggest problem I have had with it is when I am scrolling to turn an individual burner off. I have gone too far and have turned it to 9 instead of 0 and not immediately realized that this has happened. Sometimes I just hit the off button and then restart the other burner but it is something that I wish had been better thought out in the design process.

• cocaty
    13 years ago

fiddle - here's the part of European appliances DH can't get used to. And I have a little problem with it too. I have found with my oven, dishwasher and cooktop - first you have to turn it "on" and then you can proceed. The cooktop has an "On/Off" button to the left of the temperature numbers. Actually there is on/off, child lock, and timer. So, you turn it on and you then select the burner you want. Think of a plus sign with a circle in each of the four quadrants. That sits just on top of the temp numbers. You select which burner, and then hit whatever number you want. When you have more than one burner going, you hit whichever circle that corresponds to the burner you want to change and then hit the number. Don't know that that is a great explanation but . . . I am forever turning the wrong burner off or up or down because I forget to hit the circle first but - I still like it.

I know the stainless strip is a big deal to some folks. Just isn't a big deal to me.

I did feel lucky it cracked. The only problem was the newer ones require a little more clearance underneath so I lost a little bit of drawer depth.

And yes, it has the textured surface. It is labeled "Schott Ceran". My first one did not have the texture and again, I like this better.

The Bosch site has manuals you can download. It probably has an illustration of the controls on the cooktop.

• fiddleddd
    13 years ago

cocaty.....thanks for the primer tutorial on how to use your induction. :-) I'd really like to go to the store and 'play' with it, but I don't think they have that model. The one they have on display is the 800. The other big appliance store in town didn't have any Bosch inductions.

I'm not too worried about the SS strip either. I actually like the looks of it just fine. My big concern is that it will get scratched eventually. But it's just the 2 of us, and we're not too hard on things around here, so it should be fine.

Thanks, again!

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Check with the Lowes stores close to you. Ours has the unit on display (not live). You might also check local Sears outlets - we were able to find an 800 and determined we didn't like the steel strip. Seemed like it would catch food and one of the things we are looking forward to is easy clean up. You can get the manuals for each model online at the Bosch site and see how they work.

• fiddleddd
    13 years ago

plulmorchard....we went shopping today (Lowes and other places), and we could only find the 800 version, which we don't want. But we came away with a pretty good understanding of the other models, and I think we've decided to get the Bosch instead of the Kitchen Aid.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well we picked up the 300 cooktop from Lowes today. Unfortunately there was a huge crack in it and it went right back to the store. A replacement is 3-4 weeks out. We will decide if we wait or get something that is available elsewhere.

• bossyaitken
    13 years ago

Hi there, we just bought a Nutid Pyrolytic Oven 30" from IKEA (IBS550PWW00) made by Whirlpool. We were planning to buy the Whirlpool induction cooktop from IKEA as well but was told that it wouldn't work. Now I am just on the Whirlpool web site and found another 30" induction cooktop (GCI3061XB). I am wondering if it will work with the oven we bought? We are also looking at Bosch induction cooktop as well but not sure if it'll work with the oven we bought. We heard that it's the measurement the makes these appliances not compatible. Also we are having a over-the-range microwave about 20" above the cooktop. Would it work? Any info is appreciated. Thanks~

Oven we bought from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10142339

Bosch induction cooktop:

http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/cooking/cooktops/induction/NIT3065UC.html?source=browse

Whirlpool induction cooktop:

http://www.whirlpoolappliances.ca/en/Products/GCI3061XB.html

Ellen

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ellen,
    The Whirlpool induction is not approved for installation over an oven. I contacted Whirlpool and a retailer and both said no. The Ikea induction is also not approved as you mentioned. (made by Whirlpool) From what I gathered from the folks at Ikea and Whirlpool it is less about the measurements than how the cooktop works. The rep at Ikea told me they are working on another induction model that will be approved for installation over an oven. Apparently, they have had lots of comments about this since all of their other cooktops can be installed over their ovens.

The Bosch "should" work if you have all of your clearances. They are on the installation guide for the cooktop. I did email Bosch and have from them that the cooktop can be installed over their or another's ovens. So check your measurements and see if it can work. They did say to be sure and leave the 1" that is noted because the cooktop has a vent that must be able to open. They show layouts for installation with the cooktop and their ovens too -for reference.

Oddly, we have the same oven (Ikea Nutid 30") waiting for install too as soon as the Bosch cooktop gets here. We've measured everything but I'm waiting to get it all here to see how it goes. Good luck!

• bossyaitken
    13 years ago

Hi Plumorchard,

Thank so the reply! I guess Whirlpool is a no for sure then! I've asked around as well. Some people said it has to do with the measurement, and some said it has to do with the code. I've decided to go for Thermador 30" silver mirror finished induction cooktop! Apparently Bosch and Thermador are form the same factory. So their dimension is the same. I've measured both Bosch one and Thermador one and they are both the same size. The installation instruction manuals are exactly the same. So if your Bosch works, then the Thermador should work. Very excited! Please keep us posted. I will be installing mine around Xmas. I will let you know if it works too. Thanks again for the reply. It's been impossible to find any answers online or through any sales person!