Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mminkous_gw

very torn between wolf ag and df please advise !!!

mminkous
16 years ago

Went to a local dealer and tried out both the Wolf AG and DF live units. Very impressed by build quality. Now even more torn than ever between the two. Please chime in.

What bothers and what hollers:

AG

(+) 16K open burners give solid unidirectional blue flame

(+) knobs give feel of precise control

(-) curb appeal inferior to DF (legs, knobs, etc)

DF

(+) curb appeal

(+) all burners located more towards the center of range, thus can fit bigger pans with less protrusion to the side countertop, thus fumes more contained towards the center to be sucked up by hood

(-) 15K sealed burners give FLIMSY flame

(-) knobs give feel of loose wiggle (too smooth)

Not a big oven-user. Seems like what it boils down to is to trade between curb appeal and burner performance. Can't make up mind for ages. Read a lot of informative posts in this forum. Seems like everyone's happy with AG. Any DF die-hards ?? Please advise... Thanks !!

Comments (23)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Personally, I like the look of the AG (curb appeal) better than the DF, but that's what makes the world go 'round! I like the knobs better on the AG (glossy, richer red, and less "bulky" looking than on the DF), and the legs don't show (the Wolf comes with a "skirt" which covers them).

I don't know how the burners are on the DF. We never even considered the DF because one, I wanted a gas oven, and two, after living with the too-wide, sealed burners on the Jade range for 4+ months, we knew we wanted open burners (even considered the BS range for a time).

The burners on the AG are plenty powerful for us, and there is little power lost when turning down the burner to accomodate a small saucepan (because you don't have to turn it down too much like you need to with some of the wide-spreading sealed burners). Something to keep in mind.

• teachmkt
    16 years ago

I agree that for some some people the AG is more of a cook's stove and for others the DF may be more of a trophy range. We went through the same decision about 3 years ago, and paradoxically after talking with a corporate Wolf product rep about our cooking preferences, she recommended the AG (I used to work in restaurants) as it was more of a cook's stove, and the while the DF was a marketed product for home cooks, it also was for bells and whistles. I cooked on both in a demo kitchen--I preferred the open burners and an IR broiler vs. electric in the DF. Also, the AG is rather primitive electronically and well-constructed--less to go wrong and we didn't need timed baking or most of the other electronic devices. Cat Mom is right about the dual ring burner, and also since we put our wok right on burner vs. a wok grate, the dual ring puts the heat more on the bottom of the wok vs. the sides. Full disclosure also requires that my spouse thought the DF was the ugliest range we'd looked at, so other issues added into the decision . . .

• liameknuj
    16 years ago

Cat_mom, Teachmkt, and anyone else:

I too have been trying to decide between the dual-fuel and all-gas wolf range (30"). I definitely prefer the burners of the all-gas range, but am somewhat concerned about its oven. My wife bakes alot, but we do not roast much at all. How has your baking experience been with the all gas-range? How is the preheat time and temperature stability? Can you make several racks of evenly baked cookies at once using the convection fan?

The dual fuel seems like it has a better baking oven, but perhaps I've just fallen for the hype. I like the look and the open burners of the all-gas wolf better, but want to please the baker in my life.

Thanks.

Liame

• theknitter01
    16 years ago

Hi there.....my 36" AG Wolf is due to be delivered next Wednesday so I can't give you a readout on the Wolf. But I have been using a Maytag convection gas oven for the last 9 years....it has been a joy to bake with (and I do a lot of baking) and to roast with. Roasting a bird (we do goose for Thanksgiving and Christmas) is very easy and I have found everything to be very moist and wonderful.

I do bake a lot of cookies using all 3 racks - I am hoping that I will have more even heat in the Wolf - the maytag was a bit uneven - I found that the bottom rack was definitely more well done than the middle/top racks but in our household that wasn't an issue as my DH really likes his cookies crispy while the kids and I don't - so everyone got what they like.

I didn't have any real issues with temperature stability....

I don't think you will have any issues with baking IMO.

Marion K.

• brownsvillian
    16 years ago

No experience with the dual fuel Wolf range, but I recently purchased a used 2003 Wolf 30" all-gas range from a private party that was remodeling, and have been cooking and baking with it for a month now. It is a great tool. I appreciate the even heat distribution and temperature range of each burner. Upon switching the range from natural gas to propane (rural dwellers) we were delighted to find that the range is designed for no loss of btu's when switched to propane orifices. The oven has worked well for both convection and radiant baking. Everything seems to brown evenly. My previous oven was electric and the Wolf's gas infrared broiler is an immense improvement.

Because the range was filthy, I was able to buy it for very little. I spent almost a week "detailing" the entire unit. My husband is a mechanical engineer in a manufacturing plant. As we dissambled the range to clean it, he was impressed with the construction and design! It cleaned up nicely with repeated chemical applications to dislodge years of grease build-up. A testament to the durability of the baked-on-porcelain finish. I am finding the range top and burners easy to maintain by just wiping everything down after each use with soapy water and a mircrofiber cloth.

The oven is not self-cleaning. I bake casseroles or pies that might bubble over on a baking sheet. After broiling, I let it cool and wipe it down with a bit of oven cleaner on a sponge, let it sit a bit, and rinse it with a microfiber cloth. A bit more work than a self-cleaning oven, but manageable.

As the second owner of a five-year old range with no extended warranty, I give great praise for the customer service department at Wolf. They were extremely helpful in answering my questions, sending me a free propane conversion kit, and lining me up with a capable and honest appliance service company in my area. The range was registered in their files under the first owner's name and they suggested updating with my name for future reference if I needed additional assistance.

Previous to finding the Wolf, I had researched ranges for months. My heart was set on a Bluestar, but I am really pleased with this range. I think it is very similiar to the current Wolf all-gas models, other than the new hydraulic door.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

I've tended to roast more than I bake the past few years. I used to bake a lot, but then got burnt-out (forgive the unintentional pun!) so stopped except for the occasional things. Now that I have a three-rack 36" oven with convection fan, I am looking foward to flexing my long dormant baking "muscles."

The preheat time doesn't seem that much longer than my old 30" GE "builder's special," maybe a few minutes longer, that's it. With the convection fan on, the oven goes right back up to temp after opening the oven door, maybe more of a lag without convection (30" and 36" have the same size glow bar or heating element, so that would make sense). I think, as with any new appliance or other (e.g. new car), there is a learning curve involved. Once you've mastered it, you'll instinctively know how to really use it to it's fullest capabilities, and will be able to "monitor and adjust" accordingly.

I've always and only used gas ovens. It's what I know, and what I am comfortable with, so I can't really advise one way or the other about electric ovens vs. gas.

I am looking forward to really seeing what this range can do. The tech told us it will get better and better and work better and better over time. Wouldn't that be great!

• liameknuj
    16 years ago

Brownsvillian,

About how long does it take for your oven to preheat to 350F or 400F?

Liame

• liameknuj
    16 years ago

Brownsvillian,

About how long does it take for your oven to preheat to 350F or 400F?

Liame

• jmfromil
    16 years ago

We had the same AG/DF question and decided on the AG. The reasons are as follows: I've always cooked with gas and love it; love the open burners (went to the 'Living Kitchen'); like the idea of less electronics; and the $2000 price difference was applied to my single wall oven (Miele 27"). :)

• black327
    16 years ago

It seems to me from reading a lot of posts that most people go the DF route because they want the gas burners but electric oven. You say you're not a big oven user so you may not need to spend the extra $$.
    FWIW, I ordered the AG. It's not installed yet, so can't comment there, but I can't wait to get cooking! I've been without a kitchen now for 4 months.

• sanborn5
    16 years ago

I went thru this same thing for over 9 months. I read EVERY forum on this web and asked MANY questions. I was so torn and had a pit in my stomach. I have a very inexpensive AG range at our cabin and I do not like it.
    I honestly like the looks of the DF better, I DO bake a lot of pies and cookies, and I have been cooking for over 35 years. I was just afraid that I would spend all that $$$ and be sorry I didn't go with the electric oven. I am not a professional cook, but I do consider myself a chef wanna be. I make all my own soups, sauces and baked goods. I do not bake bread very often, so my thoughts ran to I can cook a heck of a roast in my $800.00 oven,and my cookies aren't to bad either!!! Just imagine what they will be in my new wolf???? After weighing everything, the simmering was VERY important, baking also. AND I liked the legs on the bottom and just the entire look better. The AG looked like a lot of other ranges and almost like a slide in or drop in range to me. With all that said,
    I ordered the 36" 6 burner DF three weeks ago. Hoping for a phone call very soon.

• mminkous
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you ALL for the feedback. Really appreciate that you take time to share. I, too, LOVE the look of the Wolf DF.

I am all for the DF except its dual-stack burners. After having tried cooking on both the AG and DF live demo units, and after many many many many many nights of pondering, and many ( x 100 ) nights of reading all the posts from nice folks in this forum, I have convinced myself that the AG dual-ring burners make more sense, and thus I have both willingly and unwillingly decided to go for the AG. :)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

I think there are trade offs with a lot of this stuff. I returned a brand new self-cleaning oven with multiple issues, and chose a replacement (the Wolf AG) that is not self-cleaning (despite that being high on my original list of priorities). It boiled down to, enjoy using a range for 364 or so days out of the year and curse it out on the one or two days that I have to clean the oven (because quite honestly, once or twice a year was how often I ran the self-clean on my old range), or be able to self-clean my oven, but hate the range for 364 days a year. Once I looked at it that way, the decision was much easier for us. Choose the things that are important to you, the features that will make you happiest and whichever option just feels better in your gut ("makes more sense"), then you know you've made the right choice. It sounds like you've done that already, so now you all you need to do is sit back and wait to get it and use it.

I don't think you could have gone wrong either way. Both the DF and AG have their pluses and minuses (we're still feeling our way with some things on ours--little quirks), but I love it and I am thrilled we were able to get it. It's fun to use and I am sure once we figure out some of the stuff with it, we'll really see what she (he?) can do!

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

I absolutely love the AG look more than the DF. It has a more "I am the bomb!" look to me. Sealed burners scare me...period! As for a gas vs electric oven, I understand there are trade offs. Gas roasts meats well but is harder on breads and cookies and the like.

All of this said, I was conflicted and put in a 60 inch Bluestar (AG) and a Wolf electric wall oven. Overkill? Probably but what the hey.

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

Well, I'd say get what speaks to you. I have the AG and love it. It's my first gas oven and it is the best oven I've ever owned. I personally prefer the looks of the AG, so I didn't really give the DF a second look.

I do a lot of baking--cookies, cakes, muffins, breads. All turn out great. So, go with your gut; you'll be fine either way.

• sailinggal
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, but I found this thread and was interested to hear everyone's thoughts. We're just starting remodeling and I have room for an AG or DF range, plus another oven. I've been looking at all the discussions around the Wolf 36" ranges, and now I'm beginning to think I should get the AG range, and make the second oven electric. But I've heard folks say they have issues with lighting the burners on the Wolf when the oven is on?

I do a lot of cooking and some baking, although my baking is usually cookies, brownies, cakes, not bread.

What would you do, given the option?

• weissman
    16 years ago

If it were up to me, I'd get a different brand of all gas range and then get the second electric oven.

• beth4
    16 years ago

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that 2 1/2 years ago I installed the DF Wolf (although smaller, at 30-inches) into my remodeled kitchen, and I LOVE it. It performs beautifully. It roasts and bakes wonderfully, whether by convection or conventional means. And the gas burners work perfectly every time. I've not had 1 second of trouble with this range, and would purchase it again in a heart beat.

Count me a delighted customer. Good luck making your decision.

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what to tell you. I have the Wolf AG and I love it. I have none of the problems that have been discussed.

• mminkous
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all who responded... but I guess this thread is much of history... cos I've already become one of those in keitel's thread scratching our heads off trying to figure out what's going on with the AG30... :s

• sailinggal
    16 years ago

I've reread the Wolf threads and now I'm genuinely worried about getting an AG version. Since I have the second oven that I can do electric, I'm thinking an AG range would give me "best of both worlds." So, now I'm thinking of doing some more serious research on Blue Star.

Weissman - when you said "get a different brand of all gas range," what brand did you have in mind?

• weissman
    16 years ago

I was thinking of DCS, Capital and Bluestar. I currently have a DCS and like it a lot. Capital is made by the original DCS people and seems like a good product. I considered Bluestar when I bought my DCS range 5 years ago having cooked on a Garland in some cooking classes - for sheer power it's awesome - but I wanted sealed burners and a self-cleaning oven.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

I'll add American to list too. Little about it here, but might be a choice for someone looking for AG. It is sealed burner, not self clean. But the top is ss which might be easier to wipe clean than others.