Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gem_cap

Recommendations on ductless range hoods - Help plse

Gemcap
9 years ago

I would appreciate recommendations on ductless range hoods. I have read the threads on this forum but am still coming up short on information on options to consider.

Context: City apartment with a small kitchen (approx. 14" X 10"). One small window (3"X 3") where the sink is. 36 inch gas range - either Bosch or Bertazzoni- will be opposite and to the side of the window. The kitchen opens into dining / living area. We do quite a bit of cooking / stir frying / use of spices.

Regretfully there is absolutely no option now or in the future for a ducted hood so the best I can hope for is something to pull in and clean the air with smoke / oil fumes as much as it can.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Comments (8)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I was in the same position as you are, except that we have a lot of windows. We went with the. Zephyr Europa Genova and it works as well as any recirculating hood will. It draws steam and smoke into the filter instead of it all escaping into the room. That's the best you can hope for. It's also nice looking with a slide out front.

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks sjhockeyfan. Let me check this out.

• McMegan
    9 years ago

I've been in your situation, and honestly, my advice is just to skip the hood and put in a cabinet or OTR microwave. The hood just gets filthy and doesn't noticeably improve the air.

• eshmh
    9 years ago

I think the reality is that many low or mid powered ducted hood fans is not enough for high power ranges. It looks like yours need something like 900 CFM or up. If you could not change the cooking style, I guess you need sacrifice something else. For example, is it possible to route the duct just under the ceiling to the window? You could warp the duct with bulkhead. It does not look the best, but you at least have the proper ventilation for your high-end range. Otherwise, you would find grease over the kitchen and maybe other rooms in no time.

Having said that, I am not sure how well Vent-a-Hood Duct Free range hoods (http://www.ventahood.com/ductfree2.jsp) work. It looks like the technology used in those is a bit more sophisticated than the common peers. They are still for light cooking though. You may need a 42" if possible.

ps: please read through this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1214301011894.html about the vent-a-hood ars

This post was edited by shimheric on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 13:19

• mayflower1032
    9 years ago

Stir frying in an apartment with a 36" range in a small kitchen and no exterior exhaust. In my opinion, that is not the correct environment for such a stove and cooking methods and you will get grease through the home. I have done that before and you will notice grease on cabinets and ceilings. Dust will start sticking to it even though you may not initially notice. And you may notice your clothes and furniture will be equally comprimised.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

I'd put an exhaust fan in the window and forget about the hood. More effective and less irritating that way. Or duct a hood to the window; it would be ugly, but at least it would work.

• garyvp
    9 years ago

We are in our 3rd year with our 30" ventahood ARS ductless system and it still works great. Mind you, it does not remove 100% of the smoke and grease, but it gets most of it and our walls, cabinets and ceiling are not greasy.

The filter - a substantial and costly component - are still Ok but will probably replace them this year.

Very happy.

• PRO
    meatballly
    3 years ago

I also have a small kitchen in my apartment. Greasy air was a serious problem at my house. Whenever I cooked greasy food or fried something, smoke-filled my kitchen which something makes it difficult to breathe. To get rid of the problem, I installed Cosmo 5U30 30 in. Under Cabinet Range Hood in my kitchen. It’s a space-saving design that makes it a good choice for a kitchen with limited space. The unit is efficient yet quiet and comes at an affordable price.