Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
virtualanne

GE Wall oven with Advantium on top

Anne
9 years ago

I will be remodeling my kitchen soon, and am considering the GE Profile PT9800SHSS (see link below)

If anyone has experience with this product I would like to hear your thoughts.

I really don't use a microwave much at all, so I'm not sure if the Advantium will be what I need.

What I'm looking for is a large oven and a smaller oven so I don't have to heat up the big one when I don't need that much space. I am intrigued by the idea of the speed cooking and the infrared broilers available on some models, but I can't afford the Miele. The GE is a little under $4,000, and that's a stretch for me.

Can you bake a batch of cookies in the Advantium? Is it good for broiling? Is this a reliable brand? Does it bake evenly?

I have seen some ranges that offer what I want, but I really prefer a separate cooktop (looking for an induction range with the ability to bridge two hobs and 1 or 2 gas burners� but that's another post!).

Here is a link that might be useful: GE double wall oven with Advantium on top

Comments (6)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I have the advantium 240 above my wolf oven.
    The speed cooking is amazing and does not come out like microwave food.
    You can bake a batch of cookies in the oven easily but most the time I make a lot of the time so I use my bottom oven.
    The advantium uses halogen lamps to brown the food.
    There is also standard convection heating without microwave.
    Or you can do a combination of convection, upper and lower heating, and microwave to have food come out perfectly.
    I have never tried toasting bread but I hear it does not toast effectively.

One thing to consider is the advantium has a drop-down door so be careful on how high it is in your stack of ovens.
    Mine starts at about 49 and three-quarter inches from the floor.

I think I would've considered a drawer to hold the extra trays or one of the kick drawers. Mine are above the oven which is fine for me to reach at this state of my life as I get older it might be hard to reach. It would've been easy to put an inset drawer as part of the 15 inch drawer at the bottom.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I'm not a fan of that GE because the Advantium part of it is only the 120V version, even though the entire unit is 240V. I'm not a fan of the 120V Advantium in general, slower speed and poorer performance than the 240. Best configuration is Advantium 240 stacked above a single wall oven of your choice.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

HVtech- I am not understanding your statement. This is the 240. It speed cooks 2 1lb+ potatoes in 8-9 minutes to perfection.
    The speeds and quality of the cooking is consistent with the 240.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^I was talking about the the Advantium/oven combination unit virtualanne linked, not what you have. Your configuration is what I think she should do, substituting a wall oven of her choice. If you click the link, see how it says "Speedcook oven 120V" in the features list?

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 17:02

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Than you for clarifying
    Sorry for the confusion

• eurekachef
    9 years ago

I have the Advantium 240 on top of a GE Monogram oven, so that combination is definitely doable. I think the Advantium is an OK 2nd oven, but if you are going to be using it primarily as an oven, you should just get double ovens and not an Advantium. The Advantium real strength is its ability to also be microwave oven and speed oven.