Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Processor - Old Cuisinart, New Cuisinart, Used Robot Coupe?

Posted by johnliu (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 1:58

I am thinking about getting a Cuisinart food processor.

I see that the old ones, that were made in France by Robot Coupe, and the not-quite-as-old ones made in Japan, can be found on eBay and elsewhere for rather less than a new Cuisinart.

Being a sucker for old stuff - vintage, if you will - I wanted to ask if there is any reason to prefer a 1970s Cuisinart, a later one, or a brand new one. Were the old ones built better, more solid, better blades, more metal, or anything like that? Did the old ones have less safety interlocks (less would be good, as far as I'm concerned). Are the new ones better designed, did they fix weak spots?

I also suspect that if I hunted long enough, I could maybe find a used Robot Coupe for a price that is not prohibitive, though still a heck of a lot more than a Cuisinart. I realize Robot Coupe makes many different models, but in general what is the advantage, if any, for a home cook? This may sound silly, but isn't the opaque bowl of most Robot Coupes an inconvenience? You can't see what consistency the food has achieved.

Planned use: I'd like to use this to shred potatoes and vegetables when I need a lot, to julienne (matchstick) veggies, to cut french fries, and to fine dice (small cubes, brunoise) if it can do that. To chop meat. I don't own a stand mixer, so the food processor will be used for any dough tasks that it can manage. As well as emulsions, sauces, pesto, nuts, etc. Hopefully it will be the last food processor I buy.

I have a 20 year old Braun now, which still works fine, but it only has a couple of blades, no ability to julienne or dice. And it is rather light duty - last time I made lobster bisque, I tried to grind up the shells and my Braun could barely turn.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Processor - Old Cuisinart, New Cuisinart, Used Robot Cou

Robot Coupe invented the food processor, made the first Cuisinarts in the US and continues to make them in France while Cuisinarts currently manufacturers elsewhere.

Cuisinart was a US license name for the Robot Coupe initially but when sales took off the then owner (now deceased) moved the production to Japan because the French close their factory in August every year for grande vacances and he couldn't get enough machines to the US market in time for Christmas.

The Japanese made machines, the DLC7 in particular, are considered to be the best of the lot. The Cuisinart owner was a French-born engineer as well as a cook and made many of the changes himself. I actually have those and have been told by the replacement parts people to keep them. One of my bowls went recently and I need to purchase another and they are obnoxiously expensive and have IMO a bad design but those are the only replacements available.

If I had to purchase a fp right now, I'd like just buy a Robot Coupe and bite the bullet on the price -- unless you can get one of the Japanese-made machines in really good condition and don't mind spending $125 or so on the replacement bowl. The Lexan seems to fail after 30 years, which is reasonable.

Before purchasing a used fp on ebay I'd try to figure out how much bread-making the original owner did (bread doughs were tough on the motors). Also, whether they have a full set of disks with the machine -- those were optional. The French Fry cutter is great for cutting brunoise fairly quickly (though that can depend on your knife skills).

If you can get a DLC 7, it's a great machine. In not, I'd go for an RC. Wouldn't buy a Cuisinart brand now.

o

Go with what RobotCoupe still makes!.... MagiMix. I'm a Robot Coupe fan and still dearly love my old 70's RC.

From what I understand Robot Coupe continued to make food processors for the home market only in Europe when they quit selling home machines in the US. They were sold under the MagiMix by Robotcoupe label in Europe. The RobotCoupe label was only commercial machines here in the US and MagiMix wasn't sold here.

Then a couple of years ago, MagiMix became available in the US!! Several mail order places offer them: Chefs, Williams Sonoma etc. They are called MagiMix by RobotCoupe are made in France and still have the great features of the original machines.

If my old workhorse ever dies, its what I'll be going with!

o

The DLC-7s are numerous and fairly inexpensive on eBay. Looks like the parts and accessories are very available too. That's great.

Here's a question. I've only used a Cuisinart a few times. I recall being a little irritated at the safety mechanism that requires the pusher to be inserted in the feed tube before the motor will turn. I understand requiring the lid to be locked on, but I think I can remember to not shove my hand through the feed tube. I had to cut things (carrots, potatos, cucumbers) to short lengths so they'd fit in the feed tube. Do the older/Japanese Cuisinarts have this pusher interlock? If so, is it easy to defeat?

Also, I see that the '70s Cuisinarts (CFP-XX) don't have on/off buttons. I guess turning the lid to lock switches the motor on, and turning the lid to unlock switches the motor off. That seems quite inconvenient - do you think so?

I'm still thinking about a Robot Coupe too. I don't think I can justify $800 (R1) or $1,200 (R2). Actually, I know I can't. Maybe if I find the mythical $40 garage sale Robot Coupe.

o

RC was in and out of the US market several times and now is back in.

There's a Robot Coupe MagiMix for $350. 14 cup. It looks to be the equivalent of the DLC 7.

The 7 has a pulse button at the bottom and an an/off button.

The lid of the 7 was made with a chimney opening of a size sufficient to insert a whole lemon, or a whole potato. It's fairly big. But it's about 2" tall and the machine won't won't start without the lockdown/pusher mechanism that fits over it. Food rests flat on the disc. You cut it to length, insert the pusher, twist it into place and slice/shred/cut.

It becomes automatic.

The beauty of these machines is chopping of, say, mirepoix ingredients. So easy. Grinding meat or fish. Pastry dough. Bread dough. Slicing chores.

It's possible to dice but it takes a few steps. First slice, gather it together, insert it crosswise and then cut again. I'd actually do that by hand as it's easier.

I'd suggest going to a MagiMix demo at a Sonoma store near you and see if they'll let you try it out.

Thanks for the ebay tip about the parts.

o

Thank you both very much. I'm going to check out a cookware store. I'm thinking the logical answer for me is to buy a used DLC-7.

roccocgurl, I love your atticmag blog by the way. I'm getting sweet on gray.

I did some investigation on the '70s era Cuisinart CFP-5 and -9 models too. Just posting in case anyone is interested in these even more vintage models - you know, to go with your '70s kitchen, cateye sunglasses and bellbottoms.

No-one seems to want these. It looks like parts can be found, though not cheap and you really have to hunt. I think (not 100% verified) that some Robot Coupe (RC1, RC2) and Magimix discs, bowls, lids, etc also fit - how well I am not sure - and they are rather pricey.

o

Cook's Illustrated just did a food processor comparison test in the last couple of months. You might be able to find the article if you search for it. They prefer the Kitchenaid food processor, with Cuisinart in 2nd place. They didn't test any of the Robot Coupe models, but did play with the top-line $900 model and loved it [grin].

o

Thanks for the kind words about the blog, johnliu. We're very big on gray and taupe right now but then something orange or turquoise comes along and it's so much fun.

The Cuisinart 5 was the original white metal machine which was directly modeled on the original MagiMix which RC made for the home market. That had the taller, simpler feed tube and had to be twisted to lock down so the cutting action was less precise.

o

But let's not forget our trusty fallback:

Photobucket

o

Oh mojavean from you I was expecting Veg-a-Matic!

o

I still have a Cuisinart from 1988...I believe it is the Little Pro 3 cup model. I use it a few times a year and I absolutely love it. Never had any problems, still looks good, and the blade is still sharp. I'm hoping I never have to replace it!

o

Here's a link to an old thread about this topic. Update: You can obtain a wide feed tube for the larger Magimix in the U.S. now, should you decide to go that route. I find the action on the Magimixes smoother than that of my old Cuisinarts. I always feel like I'm doing battle with the bowls on those because of the brittleness of the locking action. The motors are still fine though (and, um, I still have Jane's book from around 1980, LOL). Apparently, Cook's didn't test the Magis. Cannot understand why.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of several older links

o

When were they making fp's in Japan for Cuisinart? Mine is the DC-12 and I bought it at William-Sonoma about a decade ago.

o

They made them in Japan from the mid to late 70s until the company was sold to Con Air but I don't recall when that was -- I believe more than 10 years ago. If you look on the bottom you can probably see where it was made.

Still cooking from that book kd even though it doesn't have recipes for tomato water, verjus and foam sauces. Or anything sous-vide. LOL

o

Arrrgh, I used my old Braun last night and it was so unsatisfactory that I have my eye on some eBay auctions of older Cuisinarts.

o

On my way home from work, I dropped by the restaurant supply store and looked at some Robot Coupes.

The R100 "light duty" is reasonably sized and not crazy price-wise ($575). Judging purely by horsepower, it doesn't seem to be in a while different league than the higher-end consumer food processors, and it lacks a continuous feed attachment.

The R2 looks like the cat's meow - this is the model that Cooks Illustrated said was head and shoulders above any of the consumer processors they tested - but in addition to costing >$1,000 it is very large. Not really meant to live on the counter under an upper cabinet. Maybe I can find space for one in the remodel but right now, it is a no-go.

Had a good time checking out the Hobart mixers, three-station espresso machines, and other toys.

o

Our old fp is a Hamilton Beach. My wife never uses it, but as long as it works she wouldn't consider replacing it. It does what we need which is chop up tomatoes for salsa and make pesto. Never use the slicer attachment blades or try to make dough. It would probably burn out the motor. The controls are very satisfactory though and for what we need it does a good jub.

o

This is what I had started to eye when I thought I'd need to replace my 7.

They don't appear to have changed the commercial style machines (maroon) for 40 years -- they look the same as they did in the 70s.

Here is a link that might be useful: MagiMix

o

I just bought a Cuisinart CFP-5A. I'm going to buy a DLC-7 next, use the two head-to-head, and decide which one to keep. Or whether to modify the -5A with a ON/OFF/PULSE switch. I guess this is all part of TKO-ness. Pathetic.

o

I have a DLC-7 -- bought new about 30 years ago. Love it. Have replaced the Lexan bowls several times -- even have a spare in the pantry now. I think it's great that you can still get the replacement parts -- they aren't inexpensive but it is really nice to be able to keep using the DLC-7. If I were in the market for a Cuisinart I would get a DLC-7 off eBay ---in fact I have been looking for one on and off for my son.

o

I'm now the ''proud'' owner of a CFP-5A and a DLC-7, and have been using them in rotation.

Comparison:

The French-made CFP-5A
- This machine is hella powerful, noisy, even slightly scary.
- The motor is switched on by fully closing the lid to the latched position, and switched off by turning the lid about one-eight of a rotation to the unlatched position. I found this irritating, so I drilled a hole in the case and installed a $4 ON-OFF-MOMENTARY ON switch to turn the motor on and off. This makes for easy pulsing - just press the switch, instead of repeatedly latching and unlatching the lid. I kept the safety microswitch, so the lid must be closed for the motor to operate - I like my fingers.
- The bowl is smaller than the DLC-7. The slicing and shredding discs are a bit inconvenient to store since the stem is integral to each disc. On one disc, the stem split in half - I don't know if that was a fluke or if the plastic on these is getting old. Discs and blades show up on eBay fairly often and are cheap. Bowls and lids show up too. You can buy these parts new-old-stock from a couple of vendors, but they are expensive if purchased that way.
- The standard lid has a narrow tube with a pusher that fully removes, so you can leave the motor running and continuously feed in food, pour in oil, etc. This tube is narrow enough that a large russet potato won't fit through - you have to cut it in half - but then again a long leek or carrot can be dropped into the tube without being trimmed to length. Yes, you could wiggle your hand in there and cut off your fingers, but it would be hard to do. There is also a ''wide-tube'' lid which has a sleeve and integral pusher that must be inserted for the motor to operate, so you have to open the lid, place food in the tube, place the sleeve and pusher on the tube, close the lid, process the food, and open to repeat. I find that batch process inconvenient and the food must be cut short enough to fit fully in the tube - but the wide tube will accommodate a fat potato - or a fat hand, hence the extra safety mechanism.
- These machines are inexpensive on eBay - $20 or so, plus shipping. The case is all steel, they have a nice shiny nameplate and a shiny label on the bottom that says ''Robotcoupe'', I like the retro look.
- The CFP-9's take all the same blades, discs, bowls, etc but are even cheaper. These have plastic cases and are less cool-looking.

The Japanese-made DLC-7:
- Is more ''civilized'', quieter, seems to start up a bit more gently. I don't know that it is any less powerful but it is a bit less scary.
- It has the familiar ON and PULSE buttons.
- The bowl is larger, and the discs separate from the stem for easy storage. The blades and discs are similar to the CFP5A/9 parts as far as the cutting edges go, but don't quite interchange - diameter and height is just a bit different.
- The most common lid is the wide-mouth, of design similar to the CFP-5A's optional wide-mouth lid, with the same batch operation that I find kind of fiddly. There is a narrow tube lid too (called the ''standard tube''), but you don't run across it that often.
- Everything for these is fairly cheap on eBay, except the machines themselves which go for $50-60, plus shipping makes $80-90. (I got mine for $5 plus shipping because the seller mistakenly listed it as a CFP-9.) The case is plastic so they aren't as vintage-cool looking.

So, there's the rundown. If someone wants a vintage Cuisinart, I'd say the DLC-7 is the easier choice, as it comes with the ON and PULSE controls standard and the discs are less cumbersome to store. Personally, I'm yet not sure which one I'll keep.

o

The modifications to the 7 were made because of the way the 5 starts. When you use them both you might agree that the 5 offers less control and has a bit more torque.

I need a new bowl and lid assembly for one of my 7s -- glad to know the stuff is on ebay because Cuisinarts wanted $100 for some new design that I thought looked awful.

o

rococogurl: ''When you use them both you might agree that the 5 offers less control and has a bit more torque.''

The former feels true, the latter I can't tell. The 5 also seems to spin down more slowly, while the 7 stops rotating more quickly.

I have not investigated the circuitry of the 5 closely, but I see that it has a capacitor and a module in addition to the safety micro-switch and the motor. The capacitor is presumably used to deliver extra current at motor start-up. I think the module may be a soft-start circuit, but am not sure. Possibly Cuisinart changed either or both, or the motor itself, to make the 7 more civilized. I haven't taken my 7 apart so am guessing.

It may be possible to transplant some of these parts from the 7 into the 5, to tame the 5 a bit. If I run across a cheap 7 base, I may combine it with the extra 5 base sitting in my garage to make a franken-Cuisinart with the retro look and metal base of the 5 but the smoother starting of the 7. SWMBO will be displeased. She's getting grouchy about all these old food processors sitting around.

o

I don't know enough about the guts to actually follow what you're talking about. I was speaking from memory because I was one of the people informally working with the founder and giving him cooking feedback and techiques for using the machine.

He was an avid cook and an engineer. When the brand took off and the demand grew, he went to Japan for manufacturing because the French were not open to making the modifications he was looking for -- like an on/off switch so that food could be positioned in the tube and pressure on the slices could be more even.

The other issue was supply. The French close down everything for the month of August and the company could not get enough product shipped each year for the Christmas market. Japan wasn't an issue in that regard and they solved a lot of the torque problems, made the blades more precise, the heads detachable etc etc for the 7. They also did the double feed tube with the hole and while I don't like that latch especially, it's a more practical tube than the smaller single on the 5 which required more cutting.

All of this is ancient history, of course and I've no idea whether parts between the 2 would be interchangeable. Obviously the 7 was a copy and modification. As I recall though, it had a more powerful motor. The original would slow down with bread dough and switch itself off. The 7 handles up to something like 3 pounds of bread if I recall correctly and the stubby bread blade does a good job of kneading.

o

Rococogurl, would there be any use for a variable speed control on these food processors? For example, a choice of three speeds? I am just thinking about what I might change if I do start tearing it apart.

Perhaps bread dough would knead better if the motor weren't turning at full speed? Just wondering.

o

I went through the ame dilemma recently, and ended up with a new Cuisinart - theDFP-14BCN. It is basically the DLC-7. - same design, same mechanical buttons. Yes, it's made in China now, but it's very well made, and a design they've been manufacturing for a very long time. I got a set of 14 Japanese DLC-7 blades on ebay for $60, and they fit perfectly. To me it made more sense than getting a used one and then having to buy a new bowl.
Before that I was using a Robot Coupe (bought at a thrift store for $20!) that worked well, but the bowl cracked and replacing it was next to impossible, and accessory blades were very expensive. The new Cuisinart gives me a new bowl, 5-year guarantee on the motor, and compatibility with all the DLC-7 goodies I can get on ebay. So far i'm very happy with it. I'd stay away from the new "rounded" cuisinarts, though. Those have electronic buttons that are bound to fail, and aren't compatible with the older accessories.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart dfp14

o

I've had the DLC-7 since it first came out. It has served me well, but I recently went to the Conair/Cuisinart semi-annual warehouse sale and picked up the new 14-BCN, the same one zfrankle mentioned.

The new version allows you to use the pusher for the wide mouth without unlocking the lid, the way I had to with the DLC-7. I've used it for bread dough as well as shredding potatoes - it's wonderful as was my old DLC-7.

My old DLC-7 lives on in a friend's house.

Helene

o

johnliu -- I don't see why speed would matter. With a very sticky dough slow speed would probably be less efficient.

My understanding always has been -- and honestly this goes back so far I hope I'm remembering it correctly -- it all has to do with the horsepower and torque. If you know how to use the machine properly if the discs are well designed (as the DLC7s are) the speed doesn't affect the results.

The normal chopping slicing tasks don't task these machines. It's when you get into choux paste or brioche doughs which are heavy and sticky or large quantities that the machine can get bogged down and even stop under the load, or travel. It just can't move it past a certain point. That's why the shorter, stubby bread blade and the larger taller container were designed. It created more kneading and less cutting action in the container.

o

Choux paste! In the Cuisinart? Wow. I learn new things every day. I've always done it by hand. How does that work? Melt the butter/water, move it to the FP, add the flour and eggs? Isn't it easier to just do it in the pan? Am I missing out on something good?

Rococogurl, I've gained more insight into the machine from your half remembered bits than from anything else I've come across these last 35 years. Many thanks!

John, I want to see your Franken-Cusininart!

o

What a lovely thing to say, plllog, thank you.

For the choux paste, I cook the panade -- butter, water, flour, salt -- until it films the pan. (This is for a 1 cup flour/4 egg/6T butter recipe.)

That goes into the food processor hot. I break eggs into a measuring cup, turn the machine on and pour in 1 egg every 2 seconds. Process 15 seconds, scrape down and process 15 seconds longer. Dough is beaten enough within 30 seconds after the last egg is added.

The 5 can bog down with this but the 7 won't.

o

Oh. Thanks for the method. I just beat the eggs into the paste in the pan. Come to think of it, though, I think I've only ever done it in thin stainless or copper. A heavy pot would probably stay too hot and cook the eggs. Hm... I'll certainly remember this as a possibility!

o

Thing with the fp method is that the panade is very hot and when the eggs are added them pretty much cook on contact in the bowl anyway. Old way was to beat in eggs by hand off heat. Athlete arm always required -- not xactly egg whites.

o

Now I'm confused again. I was taught to beat briskly so that the eggs wouldn't cook. With four eggs, I've never had a problem, though I agree about the athlete arms for eight. I did it once. Since then I've decided that two batches of four is better. It makes the oven juggling easier too. Hm. Pre-convection. Maybe with the big new convection oven and heavy pots it's time to try the FP method and bake a double batch at once...

o

From my experience, older is better. I gave my twenty plus year old Cuisinart to my daughter. It is still working. I bought a new 11 cup processor. It lasted 5 years and 2 months!! The cost of a new base or the repair route with Cuisinart is exorbitant And you can't buy the base from Cuisinart either. The cost of a new processor was one hundred and 20 from Macys (special sale). I went with new and am hoping for the best. Maybe I'll just end up collecting bowls and blades :-) The base is still here waiting for someone with electrical talent but no takers so far so I guess they know something I don't, like not repairable.

o

I got a dlc7 as a wedding gift from my MIL in 1999, and it says made in China on the bottom. It's still going strong though!

o

I'm still using my DLC7 from 1983 & not planning on giving it up until the motor blows! I replaced the bowl a couple of years ago & recently saw a crack in the feed tube so I guess it's time to scope out available parts on ebay.

o

I had my DLC7 out today; it doesn't say 'DLC7pro' on the front so I turned it over to check. The bottom confirmed what I already knew but it also says that it was suitable for commercial & household use. I bet the newer ones don't say that!

o

I have 3 DLC 7 pro's. I bought mine first in 1978 in SLC. And then I got one each for my Mom and my MIL. I have the ones I got them as I inherited them after they passed. They all still work perfectly. I sent mine in years ago and had the motor rebuilt. I used to make my Challot in it every week. I make it in 13 qt bowls now by hand. It wore out the motor at that time. Since then it is perfect and the others never saw that hard a use. My son and DIL use the one old one in each restaurant they have worked in and it is still going strong. DD has very easy use of hers and it is fine. I have a full set of blades but never used most of them.

I still use my pro daily...chop/slice/dice. Never knead anymore as my bread baking is all wild yeast and stretch and folds :) The DLC 7 pro holds 7 cups of AP or bread flour and will make 3 loaves in 3 minutes. I used to do 3 batches one after the other year in and year out. Never a problem. You won't find a better made machine than the " old ones". Don't tamper with speeds etc. They were perfectly designed and still are the best. can't speak for the newer ones though....old is way better....c

o

Well, my 5 quit after 3 minutes of working on 2 cups of bread flour in a wet dough (85% hydration) with the normal steel blade. It resumed working after it cooled down, and I know I should have used the plastic dough blade. But my confidence is shaken. I'm going to use the 7 for the next batch and see if it will hiccup.

o

Is that the FrankenFP?

o

No, but it suggests the need for a franken Cuisinart is real.

o

The 5 will do that on bread dough. It really wasn't designed for bread dough. Think about it: who in France makes bread at home? LOL. The 7 should handle it with aplomb.

o

I am curious, was there ever such a thing as a Cuisinart CFP-10?

On the auction site there is a bowl and lid for a ''CFP 10''. It looks like a regular CFP-5/9 bowl, but it sits on a black ''base'' that is about 3 inches tall. The pictures are not good enough for me to tell much more.

Just curious.

Oh, the 7 and the 5 have both been retired from bread dough duty. I bought a Magic Mill. So the Cuisinarts are back to beating up vegetables and taking their lunch money.

o

I have question I have this cuisinart dlc x it has been siting for over 15 years in the garage and probably the machine from 1987 or I remember been working and since no used it because the bowl is missing .
Before i purchase a bowl and cover i would like some to help how to find out if the machine the motor is working ,without the bowl? it is hard to tell i plug in the the corde in outlet and puch on the power bottom i hear nothing Is there is a way to tell before i spend the money thank in advance Yousef

o

There should be a small, rubber-covered button inset in the top of the case, right at the edge of where the base of the bowl would be. Press it down and press the ON or PULSE button, the motor and shaft should spin.

Make sure there is no blade mounted, otherwise you will probably cut off your fingers.

That button is for a micro-switch that prevents the machine from operating if the bowl and lid are not correctly mounted and closed. If that does not work, look for another small button at the base of the bowl location.

o

So I also have a DLC Japan-made model and am trying to find a new workbowl. Is ebay the only place? I'm in Ontario Canada.

o

Several places carry various Cuisinart parts, but I'm not sure which carry exactly what you need. You could try Gourmet Depot
http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/cuisinart/
or Fantes, for examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fantes

o

Hey all,

I've been enjoying this discussion of old Cusinart FPs. Mine is a DLC 10E made in Japan, given to me by a friend when she decided to 'upgrade' about twelve years ago. It's going strong but boy do I need a new work bowl. I rarely see this model though. Anyone know anything about it offhand? Is it the same as the DLC X listed on the website recommended by Kitchen Detective?

len

o

I know these guys in North Toronto (Canada) carry Cuisinart parts. If you don't see what you need, I would contact them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Processor Parts

o

When I needed to replace my Japan made DLC7 about five years ago, I emailed Cuisinart. They replied with which bowl to get from them, and it works fine. I don't remember what it was but you might write them.

o

Hello All--

Just for reference sake, I found the bowl assembly at a US place(CAL, I think) for $20 less than any other US site, including Amazon although my serch was not extensive. I thought it might be simpler in the long run to ship within the US, rather than the Canadian site from livebetter, although they did have the part as well.

Len

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gourmet Depot

o

Where does the DLC-8E made in Japan fit into all this? How does it differ from say, the DLC-7? My DLC-8E is still going strong from the late '70s/early '80s; we have only tried to knead bread twice so the motor is still fine. The piece with the chute now has a crack, but so far the locking mechanism has been unaffected. I assume that it will eventually have to be replaced, however.

o

DLc-8 is , I believe, an 11 cup model. DLC-7 may be a 14 cup model. DLC-10 is a 7 cup model. They all have 600watt motors. Ebay is a really good place to find replacement parts, there are websites such as kitchenworksinc that can tell you what part name you need. Good luck!

o

Out of curiosity I pulled my Cuisinart out of the cabinet. I remember thinking what a big splurge this purchase was. It's a DLC 10E made in Japan and I bought it around 1982 for about 120. Still working but it might be time to pick up an extra bowl since it's nearly 30.

o

The 5 was the French machine in metal (magimix) rebadged.
The 7 is the Japanese model in Lexan, first generation large capacity.
The 8 is the next generation Japanese model in Lexan, slightly smaller than the 7.
The 10 came after that.

I don't know why the numbers don't make more sense but they never did. It's probably somehow related to metric measurements as the founder of Cuisinart grew up in France.

o

I just stumbled upon your web site and it's been extremely informative. I was looking to replace a Cuisinart bowl cover and I started debating whether it was worth the cost - with all your talk of DLC7's and Robot Coupe, I wonder if anyone knows the difference between a vintage Robot Coupe RC1A or RC2000 and is it a good idea to buy such an old machine on ebay? Thanks for your feedback.

o

I too just stumbled upon this site & you guys are very knowledgable! I, however am not, that's why I was looking around for information on a food processor I bought at a garage sale yesterday for $3.00. It's a Cuisinart model CFP 9 A, made in France by Robot-Coupe s.a. Is this from the 1070's? There are several brown paper stickers on the bottom, but I don't know what the numbers mean. The bowl is cracked but doesn't leak. I don't know if I can or should get a new one? Thanks.

o
oops

Oops -- I meant to say "1970's" not "1070's". Now that would be vintage!

o

There's a CPF9 on ebay right now - here's a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261007842439?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

o

It's 2012 and my Cuisinart DCL7 was a wedding gift in 1972. The husband is gone, but the processor lives on...remarkably. There is a crack on the top of the motor housing (I consider it a blemish), the bowl has a crack (doesn't leak). Now I find that replacement parts are easily obtainable on the net. This puppy has done it all for forty years. It's still going. When it dies, as we all must, I'll try to find a replacement--DCL7, that is. What a joy it's been in the kitchen.

o

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread. I too have a DLC7 from the early 80's. The DLC8 and my Kitchenaid 5A were among the first things I bought once I started earning a regular paycheck. About 2 years later, I gave the DLC8 to my mother and got the DLC7. I bought the complete set of discs a couple of years later. There are discs in the set which have never been used. After I die, they will probably end up on ebay.

About 6-7 years ago, the bowl developed a crack. I found a replacement on ebay, but as I was afraid that the FP would fail, I bought an entire new DLC7 as backup. Of course my trusty original continues to chug away nearly 30 years since I got it. I use it regularly, at least several times a week. It has some cracks around the top of the motor, but I still use the original blades.

Cheryl

o

If the machine was made in France it's from the 70s, definitely. I don't recall the 9 offhand but for $3 it's still a bargain if it works.

I still own two 7s and a mini. But between the two there's only one operable bowl and food chute. The older chute survived better than the one with the small round pusher. But I really do need one new bowl and top assembly. I can't imagine anything working as well as the 7. Though I haven't tried the newest Robot Coupe,which gets great reviews on chow hound.

I expect the kids will put both of these in a house sale when I'm gone, along with the Kitchenaid I've used since 1970. Only the plug is worn. These are such wonderful friends and lifelong kitchen companions. Little wonder I have so little patience with what we should accept as ok in the kitchen today.

o

Well I did get a Robot Coupe RC1A on ebay and it's made in France. It's pretty cool with the Sabatier serrated blade. I thought it might be a bit dull and took it to get sharpened and the guy said it was still plenty sharp. I think the only difference between the RC1A and the RC2000 is the year they were made - they're both 7 cups. So because I thought the RC1A was a 14 cup but wasn't, I was looking at the DLC7's because I really wanted a larger machine - I already have a Cuisinart DLC 5 which is a 7 cup model (made in Japan and works great) and the DLC7's are 14 cups, and ended up now with a DLC7M, and DLC Super Pro. My family thinks I've flipped out because I was on ebay looking and bidding on these for 3 months. I told them I'm collecting processors. Well actually, the 1st ebay purchase DLC7 Super Pro arrived damaged. I haven't yet used the DLC7 but am looking forward to trying rococogurl's choux paste!! Thanks again for the fun read.

o

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered my issue and has a resolution for me? I have a Cuisinart from 1979 model CFP 9 made in France. Originally, the processor came with a work bowl that had a column in the middle that held the shaft for the slicing disks. In the early 1980s Cuisinart recalled the work bowl and disks and sent out replacements. The replacement disks had a removable shaft. I have tried to use these disks and shaft with the new work bowl, but they are too tall so that the work bowl lid will not fit tightly enough to engage the motor.

The shaft is DlC-10. The slicing blades are DCL-8 (DCL-837 and DCL-844).

Do I need to buy a different work bowl?

o

This is really interesting and informative - I found a DCL5 made in France for $10 at the thrift store, and this thread helped me decide it would be worth it even without the shredding discs - thanks! :-)

o

I really found this series interesting. I am a bit on the analytical side, and research everything more then I need to before I buy it. I have found this thread an AWESOME education. I was looking to get a Food Processor and non plused by most of the crappy models I have seen in the stores. As I was looking through here I remembered my parents had given me a food processor around the time my wife and I were married, but I didn't think it worked as I had tried once to get it to go and it would do nothing. They had bought two at Tuesday Morning, and had one also but it sat in the garage as my mom was just too old fashioned to use it. I gave them my "non working" one in case they could use work-bowl, i had chalked it up to being some cheap product at Tuesday Morning and forgot about it. Well after reading here and elsewhere I started to doubt myself. Perhaps mine wouldn't budge because the safety mechanism wasn't properly engaged. I was worried my dad had thrown it away from years ago...but luckily he had kept it...I was getting excited because I thought they might be both DLC 7's as they looked similar, but once we found them they were Cuisinart Deluxe 11™ Food Processor - DFP-11 Models...and sadly are made in China, though they look more like the Japanese models. I reopened the one they had given me and sure enough the safety mechanism was sorta jammed, and after a little monkeying with it...everything clicked and it whirred quiet and content, and now doesn't jam at all. It may be made in China but the motor sounds very good. I am rather impressed with it and how it sounds compared to the newer ones out now. This is probably a model from about 10 years ago.

I am really loving using it, but it only came with a couple of blades and I want to expand my possibilities. The best part is even if this motor isn't as great as the Japanese ones....I have TWO of these! so if one fizzles I got a back up. I have repaired motors on power tools before so I also feel pretty good about working on them should the need arise. I also know a little bit about motors, and honestly made in China or not, this appears to be pretty decent.

So here's my question though...what blades can I use on my Deluxe 11? Will all disks for 11 and 7 cup work? I need to know what to look for on Ebay thrift stores etc. I noted on the website all the blades for mine said 7 or 11 cup food processors. Also is there anywhere that SHOWS the results of using different blades? I am a visual person, and wish the blades would show a picture of their handy work. Would help me decide which I need. Also how do you keep veggies at a 90 degree angle on the blades? when I press down doing celery or carrots or what have you invariable there's always enough space even when I pack them in, that they go sideways when I don't want them too.....ideas? Is there anyway to do rougher cuts? again when I use the regular cutting blade it either does it too fine or some like I want mixed with big chunks? (maybe I should just use my moms 70's version of a slap chop for that, I really want one to be honest, the new infomercial thing is crappy and doesn't have a heavy duty glass jar like hers did. People joke about those things but man their awesome for making quick and dirty cuts without overly cutting stuff like a processor can.)

Anyway I am excited about this because I am really in a financial bind, and didn't think I could afford a decent food processor I was looking in the 50 buck range....and now I got TWO and also an extra work bowl that were all just collecting dust in my parents garage...W00t!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here