Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tr8acee_gw

What size riser for wolf range

Tr8acee
11 years ago

For wolf range owners what size riser did you get and would you suggest a 10" or 5" riser? I plan on getting a backsplash to go behind the stove but I was wondering if I had a higher riser it would be cleaner instead of getting oil splatter all over the backsplash. But then for aesthetic reasons I wasn't sure if a ten inch riser is " too much"' if you have pictures I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments (9)

• sue2012
    11 years ago

I have the 5 inch.
    I thought the 10 was too much for the look I wanted.
    Good luck!!

• Renee
    4 years ago

Sue - does the 5" riser do the job or do you ever wish you went with the 10"?

• kaseki
    4 years ago

The bigger question is safety related: What does Wolf require for a riser when the particular range in question is appurtenant to a combustible wall. (See other threads here on this topic for definition of combustible and required spacing depending on construction.)

• Pia R
    4 years ago

We didn't like the look of the riser (for BlueStar). Instead, we replaced the drywall behind the range top to a fire retardant drywall per the recommendation from the appliance store.

• Pia R
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks Kaseki. Makes sense. What are your recommendations if we don't want the riser?

So far I have seen the following recommendations:

1. use fire retardant dry wall

2. use cement board

3. use durock

4. Put a sheet of stainless steel on the wooden studs. Cover with one of the above.

I don't see how #4 is going to make a difference. Steel would still transmit the heat to the studs. What am I missing?

Appreciate your guidance. My wall will go up in a couple of days.

• kaseki
    4 years ago

The "fear" is that high enough heat will cook the wood studs and eventually cause combustion. The first question, of course, is what is the requirement imposed by the range manufacturer. There was a table copied to this site showing distances vs. mitigation means. The riser is one means of mitigation. It does so by including an air gap. Another is to make the wall (at least within the specified distance) non combustible, which seems to require steel studs. Framing out a "window" in the wall to be filled by fire brick or something would also seem to be possible. There are some threads here about this, which isn't a subject that I have any data on, and which I seem to not have copied. Maybe a search for recent threads using "riser" will be productive.

• Milo Pompeii
    4 years ago

We use a 10” riser.

• kaseki
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Searching on forum member "Fred S" will reveal a lot of commentary on combustible walls and protection thereof. There are also references to codes and data therein. Ultimately, the International Residential Code is incorporated into state codes, such as here:

https://up.codes/s/clearances-from-combustible-construction

Best practice would include a discussion with your local code enforcement officer about what will pass inspection. My guess is that the appliance installation instructions will be cited. Otherwise, an engineered solution compliant with the IRC will be needed.