Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colin3

under-sink water filter

colin3
12 years ago

Apologies if there's a better forum for this or if I somehow missed the definitive thread.

We're looking for an under-sink filter for drinking and cooking water. Basically to take out the chlorine taste -- otherwise, the local water is not bad.

So reliability, low annual cost, and decent water flow are proirities.

Based on (everyone's favorite authority!) Consumer Reports, plus superficial searching, the Whirlpool WHED20 Undersink Water Filtration System looks plausible. But there's a steady, ahem, trickle of complaints that it leaks. Leaking would not be good.

What do you suggest?

Comments (10)

• foelschg
    12 years ago

We have an under sink filter for drinking water -- it has it's own spout and is not part of the regular faucet -- and after reading tons of stuff and getting very confused I went to a plumbing supply store and asked their opinion. Based on that I bought a very simple filter system from American Plumber (see link below) for about $30. We've been using it daily for about 2 1/2 yrs now and haven't had any trouble with it -- no leaks, easy to change the filters (we have good water and just wanted to get rid of the chlorine taste so only have to change them once a year or so).

Here is a link that might be useful: American Plumber

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

I've had two of these now -- they are excellent. Now I have the 250. But if you read the descriptions it's easy to choose the one you want.

They have sales and if you sign up they send coupons around holidays. My brother got one with a 10% off coupon I sent him.

Here is a link that might be useful: EWS

• colin3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! -- this is useful, and yes, it looks like you can scale up to whatever size model works.

And I can buy the faucet separately, a plus.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

With the first one I wanted a faucet to match my sink faucet so I bought one. The second time I just used the faucet that comes with each unit -- ok but not as attractive. However, my current filter is on the mudroom sink so I wasn't as concerned with the look.

It takes some study to figure out which filter is needed. I got the one with the UV light for our apartment with old pipes and city water. The replacement filter set up was quite expensive but that water was so clean I used it in the humidifier and didn't need to do anything.

Now we have the 2-stage without the UV. We have our own well water so I didn't feel the need for the extra filtration. Units are small and easy to install. My brother got one with a 10% coupon (they sometimes have sales around holidays) and he installed it himself.

I've been really happy with both of ours.

• bonesoda
    12 years ago

@colin3: thats a good idea... i wonder if putting a filter inline cold water to the tap will provide enough pressure and gpm ?

Otherwise i think its a good idea but i think it may run short on providing enough gpm volume.

• colin3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, a good point. They claim a low pressure drop on the unit linked, but maybe I should move up to the next larger... in any case we'd have to see how the unit behaved in practice. I could install a separate faucet later.

I have a request in to AP for advice on selection. Their web information is a little inconsistent.

• bonesoda
    12 years ago

@colin3: I would do a seperate faucet mainly because no matter whate you wont get the same pressure out of it also know as the filter gets filled up the pressure will drop.

• Jerry2014
    9 years ago

If the water quality is good, you don't need such a undersink water filter, just a countertop or faucet water filter is enough. And the maintenance cost is also very low. I give you a link:http://bestreverseosmosissystem.net/best-faucet-water-filter-reviews/

Here is a link that might be useful: best faucet water filter

• HU-140873235
    2 years ago

If the water quality is good, you may get away with a countertop or faucet water filter instead of an undersink filter. In addition, it has reduced operating costs. If you're interested in learning more about whole-house water filters for well water, here's a link:

https://waterfilterinsight.com/best-whole-house-water-filters-for-well-water/