Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ead51

Wolf 30' dual fuel roasting and baking question

ead51
12 years ago

I have done extensive research in finding a dual fuel range and love the Wolf. However, after seeing a cooking demonstration I wonder if I can cook a turkey on the #1 rack position, bake a pie and stuffing while it is cooking..just the usual Thanksgiving stuff. So, can you roast and bake at the same time or just bake the turkey instead.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• francoise47
    12 years ago

I think you are asking a question about the effect of the cooking mode on the different items you are cooking, not the size of the oven capacity, that is, not a question about whether all the items you mention will fit at the same time. That would depend on the size of your turkey!

I cook whole turkeys on Convection Roast mode. This is what Wolf recommends in their DF manual. To paraphrase the manuel, in Convection Roast mode, heat from both convection fans, plus heat from the broil element, intensify the radiant and convective heating in the oven. It works very well at sealing in the juices. The regular Roast mode works fine too. In that mode the bake (from the bottom and broil elements (from the top) are use, cycling on an off to maintain the temperature

I think it would be fine to have a pie or stuffing in the oven for a short amount of time in the Convection Roast or regular Roast mode. But my pies come out best when I use the Convection Bake mode for the full 35 to 45 minute baking time. This mode combines the two convection elements with heat from the bake element located beneath the oven floor.

If you needed to have everything in the oven at the same time for 30 or 45 minutes I think I'd put everything on Convection Bake or regular Bake. Otherwise I'd be worried that the intensity of the broiler heat element on the Roast mode would be a bit too much for the pie.

All of that said, the DF Wolf oven is a dream machine for baking, broiling, roasting, etc. Others may argue that the burners on the CC or BS are better and more powerful. But the Wolf DF range would be pretty hard to beat as an oven.

• wekick
    12 years ago

The Wolf oven has the ability to bake/roast each item in the optimal way. I would want to take advantage of this. A new oven is always a bit of a learning curve. How you fit everything in might depend on when you eat. We make pies earlier and then put the turkey on, convection roast, and add sides towards the end and leave in,( use optimal mode when you take the turkey out), while the turkey is resting and then is carved. I am always concerned about the bottom of the pies getting done so like them towards the bottom and nearer to the bottom element or use a pyrex pie pan. If you don't have time to bake the pies earlier put them in with the sides and finish baking even while you are eating. We always have a little time between dinner and dessert.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

If one puts all those things in the same oven @ the same time , isn't there the possibility that the baker could produce a "pumpkin turkey" and/or "Turkey Pie"?

Gary

• ead51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I now realize why folks have a gas coutertop and wall ovens. I was actually happy for the smaller oven the Wolf 30" presents because of less pre-heat time at 7,000 ft above sea level. And you're right, there is always bake. I'm used to taking advantage of the oven when it's on to cook as much stuff as possible.

My other concern reading the instructions is can you increase temperatures while things are cooking? Lots of time I am in a rush and trying to get dinner on the table and "push" the food. I thought I read you must "turn-off" and re-start...that would bring the elements below and above into play and possibly ruin what you have in the oven. Thanks

To address dodge59's comment - I'm so stuffed tasting stuff it all gets confused on my palate and plate anyway

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Yes, you can increase or decrease the temperature with ease as you are baking.

• beth4
    12 years ago

Another owner of the Wolf DF 30-inch range here. Have had mine for 6 years and love it. I've never tried baking everything together. Certainly I've baked the pies ahead of time, and then then turkey and stuffing, or whatever. Of course, it will depend upon the size of the turkey. The only oven I have is the Wolf 30-inch....And it delivers everything I need for the most elegant or abundant meal.

And you can definitely change the temperature (up or down) while you're baking/roasting, etc.

By the way, you will LOVE the temp probe roasting. It's the best!

• ead51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess better meal planning is in my future. To be honest I'm a poor baker except for those fabulous no-knead breads. For dinner I pretty much roast everything. The majority of preparation is done on our outside gas grill for cooking poultry, meats and fish. I'm trying to be real with my needs and true cooking style. I cook a turkey once a month and grill chicken 2X week. Please understand that this range is going into an old kitchen that will not be remodelled. The absolute extravagance of any pro model is for form and function without compromise on function and miles of smiles without easy-off. AG? Fumeless Easy-Off? Thanks for your time.

• elfinee
    10 years ago

I currently have a 48" wolf range and it is great! In our first home we had a 36" Dacor range which was great, too, I did attend a class to learn how to use the Dacor. The rule of thumb was to use The convection setting any time multi rack baking was done. I have continued that with the Wolf and so far so good.