Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sizes of otr convection microwaves

Posted by idabean (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 0:30

I've been researching otr convection micros and thought a GE Profile 1.5 might be less deep than my current new microwave, which sticks out 2" in front of cabs. But both are 15" deep.
When I saw the size wasn't any different, I widened my search.

Kenmore Elite otr convection microwave got excellent reviews.
But....and I looked at multiple website listings.....the Ken. Elite otr etc, 1.5 is listed as 19 inches deep!

And the Kenmore 1.7 is listed as 15" deep.

That can't be right, can it?

And why did I think the GE profile series was more compact than other appliances? Am I mixed up thinking about the "space saver?"

Are there any otr convection microwaves that are less that 15 " deep?

Thanks
idabean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sizes of otr convection microwaves

More research says nothing I am looking for is less than 15"
When I take out and return the black microwave, might we make a recessed space in the back wall and push the conv.micro in a bit.
There's already a vent for the current microwave. Would it even be possible to recess the appliance an inch or two and still use the same vent?
Didn't see it installed so can't visualize the venting set up with or without recessing the appliance.
I am still curious about the the 1.7 beiing less deep than a 1.5

This post was edited by idabean on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 0:57

o

ALL OTR microwaves will be 15" deep. A good hood is even deeper, 24" to 27". It's about covering the burners below them enough to provide good capture for use as the vent portion of the combo.

Do NOT recess the MW. That would be contrary to it's operating instructions. It's installed as designed---as ALL of them are designed to be installed in a standard installation. You're not dealing with an anomaly. You're dealing with the reality of how OTR's are designed. If you don't like that, then perhaps switching to a under cabinet vent would work better and just put a countertop MW onto a counter elsewhere. But, as I mentioned above, the hood will stick out even further than the MW.

o

If you recess the microwave, the vent will not line up. That, and the hanger plate will have nothing to mount against.

o

Totally convinced by you.
Thanks, Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here