Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicnsb_gw

Opinion please...Advantium 120 enough as 2nd oven?

vicnsb
16 years ago

It will be micro/2nd oven and the 120 sounds very useful to me.

I am not that into the speed cooking thing, mostly as a 2nd

oven and micro.

Since its a new space, should I put the electrical in anyway, just in

case?

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I hope it's enough as a second oven - that is what I am planning to use it for. In fact, as a first oven since there are just the 2 of us and I'm putting it at counter height. I didn't have room for two 30" ovens so the big one is going under the cooktop and I only expect to use it for holidays.
    We'll see. Everybody raves about the Advantium.

• jeri
    16 years ago

From the research I have done the 120 built-in will be a fabulous second oven. My only comment  you can get a MW/Convection for a *lot* less than the advantium. I donÂt think I will use the speed cook feature very much either, so IÂm just getting a mw/convection combo.

Are you installing a warming drawer? If not, these units (both the advantium and convection combos) work well as a warming drawer  another plus :-)

• rgillman
    16 years ago

No warming drawer in this house; I am excited about using the speedcook; I thought about a MW/convection but decided the 120v Advantium would be better; I've heard such good things about the speedcook technology. We'll see...

• needanap
    16 years ago

I have the advantium 120 as my second oven and it works well for that. Some thoughts, though. When I have something cooking in there, and then need to nuke something else quickly while getting dinner ready, I have to wait until the main dish is done. I never realized how much I use the micro until it was otherwise occupied! Another thought is that I don't find the keep warm function all that useful. First of all, the fan noise is loud when it is on (like a microwave) so wouldn't want that running for a long time while waiting to serve dinner. Also, I usually need the warming drawer for one dish while waiting for something else to come out of the oven. If the advantium IS your oven, you can't use it for your warming drawer, too. I do like mine, though, and so far I'm happy with the choice.

• shequit
    16 years ago

I have had my 120 (built-in under counter BTW) since last December.

vicnsb - it works great as a second - I did Christmas last year (it had just been installed a week before), and I finally had a place to do things which a micro alone could not. (I only had a large oven and a micro in the demolished kitchen.)

raynag - it is perfect for a first oven for 2 people. Since I have had the two ovens, I have only used the larger one a handful of times.

vicnsb - do a "search" on this site re the 120 - I think you will get even more info. From me for sure.

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all of you...
    it sounds like a lot of us are
    using it the same way.
    Yay, 1 decision down!

Which ovens did you all
    choose for your big oven?

I am planning a rangetop (most likely Capital)
    and an undercounter oven next to it.

• shequit
    16 years ago

I have a GE Profile, 30", built-in, next to the Advantium. So far, so good. It has only been since last December but seems to be just fine and the "look" of it next to the Advantium is aesthetic.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Needanap - we'll probably use the Advantium more often as a microwave than as an oven but I guess it just takes another way of thinking ahead. Thanks for the warning.

Shequit - good to know I'm not crazy. I'm looking forward to it.

Vcnsb - For our 30" under-cooktop range we're getting a Monogram with the 3 full extension shelves.

• needanap
    16 years ago

I have the Monogram Advantium 120 over the Monogram oven ZET1SLSS (I think that is the model #). Really love the main oven. Wonderful glide racks and control knobs. Cooks very evenly. Very quiet. Here they are, stacked over a warming drawer. In the first picture, it was just installed, I hadn't even taken the plastic off the handle yet. I find that the Advantium is actually a little too high in that location. The door opens down, and I am short (5'0"), so I can't reach in very far. The door is practically in my armpits when I try to get food in and out. It is a problem trying to get the various trays in and out when the oven is hot. And I have to use a step stool to clean the back. Another important point is to plan a spot to keep the accessories nearby. I find myself changing from glass tray to metal tray quite often, and I would hate to have to go across the kitchen looking for the right tray every time I wanted to zap something quickly. I keep my trays in the cabinet above, as shown. The trays are large diameter and only fit on an angle. If I had to do it again, I would lower the ovens by a foot or so, and put the warming drawer somewhere else. A good idea would be to keep the trays in a drawer under or right next to the advantium.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Thanks, Needanap. I expect to put a couple of drawers under the Advantium - a good place to stash the racks. I just want to get on with this job, already. Argh.