Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiana_2010

Any POSITIVE Thermador reviews?

kiana-2010
13 years ago

I know that Thermador is probably not the no. one choice of many people on the forum, but the current promos are VERY tempting. Is there anyone who actually has any Thermador products (range top, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, warming drawer) that can give any first-hand positives about the line?

Comments (140)

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

Bardzil- I read through all of these exact threads you are pulling back up when I purchased my appliances last year. I have the steam range and 30" columns. No issues at all, the appliances are fantastic.

I was also concerned after reading these threads. I spoke at length with 2 appliance dealers in my area, who sell a lot of these. Fantastic service records from both. You should see the appliances first hand, and in action, as I did. Made my decision very easy.

• aquinski
    8 years ago

I just responded to another post re Thermador. We have the 30" fridge and the 24" freezer, installed 2 years ago. We have had one issue with the fridge that I think that you should know about. We've loved everything about the columns, except that we can't trust the fridge, and that's big. After momentary power blips, the fridge power comes back on, but the refrigeration does not. This only happens after those quick momentary blips. We have a whole-house generator that comes on after a few seconds, but what I'm referring to are the outages that come and go too quickly for the generator to kick in.

The fridge appears to be running after this happens, but it's not. We've had to toss the entire contents of our fridge twice as a result. There's nothing in the fridge to tell you that it's not cooling, no alarm or error code displayed. The lights work just fine when you open the door and the temperature display shows what it's SET to, not the current temp in the fridge. We have a thermometer in the fridge as a result of the first time this happened, but that only helps if you are there to read it and notice the drop in temperature. The fridge is on it's own separate breaker. The freezer doesn't share this issue, fortunately.

We had service come out just today and they said that it's not a fault of the fridge, it's due to the power outage! It took much longer to get the fridge running again this time, we thought it wasn't going to, it took so long. The service man said maybe it could be the control panel, but no guarantee that would fix the problem (he doubted that it would). Also refused that it was a warranty issue, even though this happened and was reported first while still under warranty. He couldn't answer why this only happened to the fridge and not the freezer if it wasn't a problem, except to say 'that's how computer's are'. Unacceptable.

This is a very expensive refrigerator that can't handle a momentary blip in power. We are not dropping this and hope to get a satisfactory resolution from Thermador. As it stands, we risk losing everything in our refrigerator if there's a power blip and we're not home to notice. And we thought having a whole-house generator would protect us from power outages!!!

I will let you know how this resolves.

• bardzil
    8 years ago

johnsoro25- thanks for the reply. The appliance dealer near me is not that helpful when it comes to comparing and contrasting different brands. I get very little of the "pros and cons". The salespeople just say that all of the ones i'm looking at are great. I definitely feel Thermador seems to offer the most for a decent value. I just hope the quality, longevity and customer service meet my expectations. I like the Miele 48" range but there are almost no reviews and it is a new product. Maybe i need to test drive both the Thermador and Miele out and actually cook on them.

Do feel the 30" size for the fridge/freezer columns is a good size for a family of 5? I'm still debating the sizes of the columns. I'm thinking either 30 or 36" for fridge and 24" for freezer. However, we do have space for the 30" freezer if we go with the 30" fridge.

Do you have the thermador microwave drawer by chance? I'm considering that also.

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

I got the 30" for both for symmetry- I love symmetry ;) The units flank my range. The fridge holds plenty for us- family of 4. True test was the week of Thanksgiving with family in town. I still have our old fridge unplugged in the basement, and thought I may need it with all the holiday food, but I had plenty of space in the 30" column. The freezer is big- I still have one door shelf empty, but other than that it's well packed.

I never had any issue with the fridge shutting off after power interruptions, as detailed above.

I do have the Therm microwave. I don't care for the protruding handle on the Sharp model, hence the extra expense. I'm sure I don't use the microwave to its fullest extent, but it works very well for what I need.

• aquinski
    8 years ago

I promised to give an update re our issue with the Thermador Freedom column losing refrigeration when there's a momentary power blip.

Thermador is sending out one of their reps next week, with parts in hand, to repair our refrigerator. The service tech who came out today was from a local appliance store that services Thermador. The woman my husband spoke with at Thermador today was very helpful and agrees that there is an issue. She's promised that it will be resolved.

We're very pleased with this response and feel confident that they will follow through as promised (I'll let you know if it doesn't happen that way). So far they've been very responsive and helpful. I hope that it does get resolved because other than this issue, we've loved the fridge and freezer columns.

• bardzil
    8 years ago

i just realized thermador doesn't make a 36" all fridge column. Is it just subzero and miele that make that size? I would probably be ok with 30" but the larger size would be nice.

• aquinski
    8 years ago

30" is pretty roomy, and when paired with either the 24" or 30" freezer, makes quite a statement. I really like the layout of the freedom columns as well.

• krbnmom
    7 years ago

How did your 30" column refrigerator repair go? Leaning towards Thermador because of the incentives and matching door handles on stainless, but my husband prefers SZ bc he thinks the top shelf is lower (we're not tall) and was told they had better service.

• penbram
    7 years ago

I put in Thermador cooktop, wall oven/micro combination, column refrigerator and freezer, and upgraded dishwasher.

They look great, therefore I wanted them. Bad judgment on my part to ignore reviews and go for "the look".

Cooktop works fine, but is a nightmare to keep clean. Microwave developed cloudy glass in the door. Every time I contact customer service, they act as if it is the first time they have heard from me....even though I can show them documented conversations. Microwave also had to have spring in the door-closing mechanism repaired the first week of use....it operates fine now.

That cool-looking analog clock on oven? Doesn't work. And it doesn't work on the ovens of the 3 other people I know who have this oven. Also, the in-oven thermometer doesn't work....never did.

Dishwasher has developed loud "groan" in one cycle. Very loud and startling. Thermador-recommended repairman has already been here twice.

Refrigerator/freezer unit was gorgeous for a while....developed streaks in finish that all the remedies suggested by Thermador or online didn't touch. Also, replacing water filter has been difficult....since Bosch took over Thermador.

Bottom line...you can follow your heart and buy because you really want the look. You can look for reasons to discount the complaints you read. You can grab onto the reviews that declare satisfaction and hold on with both hands. But if you choose to buy these products, be prepared to do nasty battle with customer service. It will come...and it HAS to be a nasty battle, or they will automatically discount your concerns.

Good luck.

• Jakvis
    7 years ago

Being someone who works on Thermador/BSH products, I've found that they are one of the better companies I've worked with. I've seen them help customers of mine who were out of warranty.

I do think I can help you a little bit though. I haven't seen the clock issue you are talking about, but regarding the dishwasher sound they do have a bulletin out for replacing the upper spray arm and tube on the basket. Pretty easy to do and I think you could just have them send you the arm assembly and snap it on yourself. Replacing the arm/tube stops the noise.

You do mention something kind of funny about Since Bosch took over Thermador. That happened about 20 years ago in the mid 1990's

• penbram
    7 years ago

I guess I wasn't very clear with my comment. I meant that it has been difficult finding the proper water filter. It isn't advertised under the Thermador name.

• Jakvis
    7 years ago

You might try to "Google" Thermador water filters or you can try the Thermador website online store http://www.thermador-eshop.com/eshop/thermador/us/refrigeration.htm You will need to put your model number in the search term window.

• greasetrap
    7 years ago

This is a really old thread and I'm not quite sure it makes sense to bring up the gas "extra low" simmer burners which haven't been discussed in a while, but I'll do so anyway. In my opinion these burners are terrible. I don't care about the constant clicking, but hate the way that they operate. Most simmer burners allow you to turn the heat down very low and apply a constant heat to the dish being simmered. In contrast, the Thermador burner applies heat that is much too high and constantly turns the burner on and off for a variable length of time. The idea, I guess, is to apply an average amount of heat to the dish over a period of time. This makes no sense to me, as it doesn't allow you to judge if the dish is simmering properly. Aside from this, the burners can't be used if the power goes out.

We had a Thermador DF range for about 12-13 years, and I'd say the reliability was about average. We renovated our kitchen last year and I looked at the Thermador rangetop, as I was interested in their star-shaped burners. I quickly ruled it out though, when I realized that they're still using the same old inferior simmer technology.

• just_janni
    7 years ago

Counterpoint. I have had a Thermador range top, hood and double convection ovens for almost 19 years. Knocking on EVERYTHING wood - I have had such minor issues, I can whole heartedly recommend them - although not sure much is the same now as it was then...

The XLO is a PITA - but it can hold a simmer with something like rice or beans / pasta - but it's certainly not the most elegant solution. I guess I could just put something that I needed named on the griddle and use it like a flat top.

But really - everything still works and looks really good still too. My kitchen has not needed a remodel in this entire time.

• dianeharlan53
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well, just to be consistent (and since it's been another three years since posting), I have now had my Thermador Pro 30" wall oven and the 36" cooktop for 7 years and all is well! I haven't had any service calls and take their reliability for granted now. Believe me, these are not vanity appliances in our house...they are used often...and I have absolutely no regrets in buying them. I find (though others don't, I see) the cooktop to be very easy to clean and, but for a couple of small user-created scratches, it looks as good after cleaning as it did when we put it in. That said, I never let stuff sit and clean it regularly.

I just really think it can be a crapshoot. These forums are great for researching brands before buying--at least you can find out what chronic problems can be with appliances made, perhaps, in a certain manufacturing run (hence, the crapshoot) but it's also good to keep in mind that there is overrepresentation in the comments by people with problems.

Most people having issues are pretty motivated to express their displeasure. Those without, generally don't. I managed a catering business out of my home using a gas Magic Chef from the 1930s that I cooked on for 14 years and I worked in a few kitchens using Wolfs and Vikings (the old open burner styles in both)...believe me, I am grateful for my graduation to Thermador appliances!

• rmverb
    7 years ago

Just looked at Thermador this weekend, we liked the 48" rangetop, the pro double wall ovens, and the dishwasher. We want a 42" French door refrigerator and they don't make one. We're not sure what to do on the appliances. We initially were going to go with all Jenn Air, then we priced out a WOLF/SZ/Bosch package, and now we are looking at Thermador, though we are unsure what fridge to add to this package.

• dianeharlan53
    7 years ago

Do NOT get the Jenn-Aire! Speaking from experience...

• rmverb
    7 years ago

dianeharlan53, we've heard similar statements about Jenn Air and that's why we have started to look at other brands.

• aquinski
    7 years ago

krbnmom, the repair went very well, we haven't had a recurrence of the issue since it was fixed. The service person did a great job, there was no charge and we couldn't be happier with their response. Our Thermador columns are one of our favorite things in the new kitchen. We really love them and couldn't recommend them more. We looked at the sz as well, but felt we were getting a lot more for our money with the Freedom columns, and we haven't regretted it at all.

• Mary Nigro
    7 years ago

I have an 11 year old Thermador oven. It needed repair on computer parts the first year but it was covered by warranty no problem. It was fixed quickly and I have not had another problem since. It cooks well and I love the quick preheat. This is this ovens best selling feature in my opinion. The baking is slightly uneven but a turn mid way is no problem for me and I am not really sure if other brands are really much better unless you pay for the duel convection Wolf. I am considering buying a new Thermador for our new build. Not sure I want to leave the reliable old one after reading this thread,lol. I have heard horror stories on every conceivable appliance I have researched, even the high end Wolf. So I guess all you can do is research try and stay in your budget and hope for the best.

• Nikko Nakuttaja
    7 years ago

For what it's worth, one retailers statistics. Elsewhere in the blog they said Thermador was on their top 7 reliable list in 2013-2014, but just slilpped out for 2015.

http://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/86332/The-Least-Serviced-Most-Reliable-Appliance-Brands-Reviews-Ratings

• Tara P
    7 years ago

Do not waste your money. I have had horrible luck with their products in two houses. My first, it was already there. My second I bought it because it was a few thousand less. Now I regret that decision. The dishwasher is trash. Literally, I have to get rid of it. It does not work. Stove burns when I roast and the thermometer never worked. Customer service is horrible and they don't care once they make the sale. I never review, but feel it's important for people to know.

• Rob
    7 years ago

I'll throw my 2¢ in. We've had our Thermador branded double ovens, 36" french door fridge and higher-end dishwasher for just over 7 years.

The double ovens needed service in their first year while under warranty. After several months, they just wouldn't get to temperature. Service guy came out and replaced the motherboard. I thought the fan was noisy, but he disagreed. He left and the fan noise dissipated in the next few days. Since then the only issue we occasionally find that the digital clock has reset to 0:00. This happens every few months. We are very, very heavy users of these ovens having run a small home-based, licensed custom cakes and cookie business. The self-clean is very effective. Would re-purchase.

The fridge also needed a service call because I couldn't manage to remove the water filter used for ice production. Each filter change is an adventure since it is very difficult to turn to remove it but this is a minor annoyance. The ice maker can produce an abundance of ice. Sometimes this is a problem as ice piles high, then when opening the drawer a cube or two falls into a nearly unreachable zone inside the fridge but behind the drawers. This is another annoyance and definitely is an engineering design improvement opportunity. With regard to appearance, we were sold at the first glimpse of the large interior, flexible shelves, spacious door bins, etc. So cool! In reality, given the fairly small sq. ft. of storage accurately proclaimed by Thermador and the fact that my wife and I are both self-proclaimed gourmet chefs and frequent entertainers, we find at times there just isn't enough room for what we need to store. This applies for any/many built-in, cabinet depth fridges. Our new home will include a 42" fridge to compensate. Personally, I wouldn't repurchase but only because of limited storage space, otherwise I have no hesitation.

The dishwasher has performed flawlessly without a single issue. Thermador and Bosch have the same heritage so we piggybacked on the great Bosch name to get the then offered 3 appliance deal. Having owned KA dishwashers previously, we knew we wouldn't be getting the super flexible loading options but we've found the Thermador to be sufficient.options but we've found the Thermador to be sufficient.

-Rob
    www.akitchenremodel.com (somewhat dated blog)

• Nancy Mikhail
    6 years ago

These are the worst appliances ever! Do not purchase Thermador. We have had issues at least once with each piece we purchased from Thermador, but the worst are the fridge drawers. We purchased two sets of the double drawers, and we have had to change the boards on them a minimum of 4 times within a year for each set! Thermador's customer service is a joke. They don't stand behind their products. I am out over 7k for these fridges, and Thermador has not replaced them for us. All they do is have tech change the boards almost every other month. It has been a nightmare working with this company! Buyer beware!

• quintsoma
    6 years ago

I bought a Thermador 48" professional range 17 years ago. The thermostat is not working on large oven and Thermador said they have discontinued making the part. So I have to throw out a perfectly good stove that I paid 8,000 for and replace spending 8,000 more. Does that make sense that Thermador does not have a thermostat for a range 17 years old.?

• Michelle misses Sophie
    6 years ago

Not knowing the specifics of the thermostat, yes, it is entirely possible they no longer stock parts for a range that is 17 years old.

• Jakvis
    6 years ago

Thermador doesn't make the thermostats, they are made by a thermostat manufacturer who probably no longer makes the thermostat 17 years later.

• Alyson Baumbach
    5 years ago

Re-upping this thread. We are considering the Thermador package also, but are getting cold feet after reading all of the reviews. These are some of my main concerns/questions after doing my research. I'm just wondering if Thermador has improved on the issues over the years?

Gas range - Is there anyone out there who feels the star burners are not that difficult to clean? Clicking sound for low simmer burner - they still haven't fixed this?

Oven - I've heard the cooling fans are loud - is this still the case? Uneven oven cooking - is this a problem with the dual fuel range or only gas?

Dishwasher - Consumer Reports actually rates their Sapphire dishwasher pretty high -- but I've keep hearing people call the dishwashers "junk"...so which is it?

Refrigerator & Wine Column - I've heard parts can be difficult to replace/repair... still the case?

Customer service - I've heard the horror stories of Thermador either refusing to make service repairs or being slow to make repairs or being unresponsive/indifferent, but I've also heard stories where they were responsive and quickly resolved issues. And, Yale also has ranked them No. 12 on their Most Reliable/ Least Serviced list too.... so I'm just wondering if people still feel their reliability and customer service is lacking?

Finally, if anyone has other suggestions for "affordable luxury" brands, I'd love to hear it. Or, if we should just try to pick the best brands for each appliance category. (In a perfect world, we might go with a Sub-Zero/Wolf/Miele combo, but I'm not sure that's going to work with our budget).

• stevep2005
    5 years ago

Three years after my last post on this thread, my 12 year old double convection 30" Therm ovens are literally the ONLY appliances that have not been serviced. On reflection - WOW, I can't believe it myself. I had both firing at 525 for several hours cranking out pizzas last weekend - I use the heck out of these ovens. Luck, or reliable brand, who knows?

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    I love my thermador dishwasher.
  • dianeharlan53
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have been using the 6-burner Professional cooktop for 9 years now and I LOVE it. Unequivocally.

I haven’t found it difficult to clean—quite the opposite, actually, and I cook on it a lot. I use 409 on spills and clean it a couple of times a week if I’ve been slamming it. I throw the grates in the sink and use Barkeeper’s Friend on those, maybe once a month.

The two burners that are low simmer burners (yes, they click on and off, but it has never bugged me) give you a lot of control. I like them and having every burner have the 18,000 BTU capacity is great. Pots boil with a beautiful, even bubbling and the flames are evenly dispersed.

i also have the 30” Professional wall oven (under-counter installed) and LOVE that, as well. It bakes evenly, without hot spots on the regular setting. If using convection, I will (sometimes, mostly not) turn the pan, depending on what I’m cooking, as the fan changes the dynamic very slightly.

Roasting and the broiler are perfect.

One thing, though—and this is true for ANY oven with a computer/motherboard—DO NOT USE THE SELF-CLEANING FEATURE!

Sorry I yelled, but though they and everyone else offers it as a feature, it is definitely a weak link. I had to have the motherboard on our previous Jenn-Air replaced twice (at $250 per, just for the part) and the repairman clued me in. Motherboards get wonky when exposed to 800• heat. It may work a few times, but be warned. The only service call I had was early and after a self-cleaning (because I thought the issue was only with the Jenn-Air). The clock went out and the racks that didn’t have the gliding feature got to sticking. Thermador immediately sent two new gliding racks to replace the regular racks, and replaced the motherboard, so I have to say, I was a happy customer. I found them quite helpful.

• Alyson Baumbach
    5 years ago

Thanks dianeharlan53. Can I ask why you decided to go with a cooktop and undermount wall oven instead of the range? Is the oven gas or electric? And thanks for the tip about self-cleaning. I've heard that's an issue on many models.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I have not had Thermador myself, but the reviews here for the brand these days are quite good. I think you should look into Miele though.

• dianeharlan53
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi apitarre...I chose the 6-burner because I wanted the extra real estate—I got used to having it while cooking for a living for 12 years (long ago!) and always wanted room. The 36” oven included in a range with 6 burners was, I felt, overkill for my uses and the Thermador 30” wall oven is bigger than most 30” ovens as it is. A 36” oven takes longer to heat and it just made sense to me. I don’t have huge roasting pans and I’ve never come across a situation in which I needed a big oven. I opted for an electric oven because I think the heat is more even for most uses, though people who bake a lot of bread often prefer gas, as I recall, because of the kind of heat it produces. I’ve never noticed an appreciable difference, but some claim to. Most of the ovens I worked with professionally were gas ovens and I cooked on and baked in an old ‘30s Magic Chef for years but I was turning pans in the oven a lot.

When we remodeled, I ditched TWO Jenn-Air wall ovens, after years of using only one of them.

I feel now, I have a perfect setup ... and I love it!

Oh—regarding the fridge—we have a SubZero (it came with the house) and though I personally wouldn’t have shelled out for one, I love it. It was probably put in 18 years ago and a couple of years ago, we had to have the compressor for the fridge replaced (there’s another compressor for the freezer). That was expensive—$1200 bucks—but the repairman told me he was on the hunt for that very model because, as he said, “they can always be fixed. That’s not true of most of the refrigerators made today...it’s usually cheaper to just buy a new one.”

So, there’s that. Given it’s a built-in, I opted to have it fixed rather than hunt for something else that would fit.

Good luck!

• dianeharlan53
    5 years ago

Oh—and I have to say, I was as skittish as they come after reading some of these reviews, but after the self-cleaning lesson I learned the hard way, both oven and cooktop are performing flawlessly, 9 years in. That’s pretty great in my book!

• Alyson Baumbach
    5 years ago

Ok, thanks so much for the info and advice. I think it's good to hear from someone who has had Thermador for a long time (9 years!) and has not had too many issues.

• aquinski
    5 years ago

We've had our Thermador Freedom columns now for 5 years and I couldn't be happier. We had an initial issue with a board that caused the fridge to lose refrigeration after a momentary power outage, but they replaced the board without any cost to us, and there haven't been any other issues. They keep a nice even temperature, are very roomy and easy to clean. We love the lighting inside and the overall layout of the fridge and freezer. I would purchase them again without question.

• timshaffer
    5 years ago

Count me in as a Thermador supporter. Installed the full suite 2 years ago (with Wolf ventilation): range top, oven, microwave, dishwasher, fridge. Everything works as advertised and quality is good (especially like the drawers in the fridge -- well designed and built). I understand that after spending $20K on appliances, a breakdown in quality/reliability is disappointing. And that unhappy consumers are more likely to complain than happy ones. My appliances are attractive (like the built-in fridge!), easy to clean, easy to operate. All is good!

• penbram
    5 years ago
    Enjoy your good fortune while it lasts.
  • Heather
    5 years ago

Ihave a Thermador CSO that I love! Mines still under warranty, so not a longtime user, but I haven’t had any issues yet. I had to turn off the breaker to it while not in use because my toddlers found it fascinating as a jungle gym. So, I can attest that 45 lbs of toddlers standing on the door didn’t damage it. But they weren’t jumping. It’s mounted under counter and toddlers are the reason I didn’t install a microwave drawer, opting for the $200 Panasonic for now.

• Alan
    5 years ago

We just bought a 48" Thermador dual fuel range. The noise from the cooling fan is unbelievable. We basically can't have a conversation while the oven is on and 30 minutes after we finish as it cools down. A very big mistake! We love the fridge and under counter microwave.

• Julie Driscoll
    2 years ago

I have the DWHD650JFP/C9. Thermador dishwasher and it is the worst purchase we ever made. Of course, they don't let you enter this particular model number to write a review on their site because they know it's not a good product. It's horrible at cleaning. I've had Jarvis appliance co come out four times now and each time they give some lame, BS excuse that I'm doing something wrong. The functionality is sub par. We have semi-deep cereal bowls that need to take up 3 rungs in order to be stacked in a way to get clean. That means we can fit 4 cereal bowls in the top. W can stack about 6 on bottom rack then the silverware tray prevents us from placing more. It is horrible in every which way. Just ran it and a salad bowl that had a little dressing on it when loaded in, still had the same dressing on it after a normal cycle. I would not recommend thermador dishwashers, period. Oh and you try to call and they say things like high call volume, etc...You try to write a review and they prevent you from doing that, telling me incorrect serial number even though I have the right one..Had a cheap Kitchen Aid that lasted us over 10 years before doing a renovation.

• Paolo Meireles
    2 years ago

Buyer beware - if you need support, you won’t get it easily from Thermador based on my experience. They charged me about $750 for a replacement part for a fridge. The part arrived in approx. sept. 2021. For two months they have been unable to coordinate two techs (the number needed) to come install the part for my fridge. On the first visit, despite my reminding them in advance that we needed two techs, only one came and couldn’t do the job. He rescheduled for a month later. On the day, no one came (not a typo). Instead, Theramdor claims I cancelled the appointment…why would I do that? Now it’s the third visit —11/29/2021. Despite advising them again that we needed two techs, they coordinated only one. I called today (11/28) confirm they would get two out here, and there was literally nothing they could do to confirm one way or another. I’ve asked to speak with supervisors on multiple occasions. I keep being told a supervisor would “call me back.” No one has ever called me back. For a company selling high end (ie, very expensive) appliances, you would think they could treat their customers with a smidgen of respect. Definitely the last time we by a thermador product. It’s just not worth the headache in my opinion, particular with an appliance that is only about 5 years old.

• HU-646006406
    2 years ago

Beware of Thermador customer support . We bought a whole kitchen of Thermador products and the microwave drawer gave out after 10 days. They won't replace it until we have had 2 service calls on it, what a joke. The 1st service call they said it was a part that eventually got ordred after the salesperson got involved because the customer service rep did nothing.We got the part but they sent the wrong one. Now we sit and wait for the part so far its been over 2 weeks and haven't heard a thing. I have reached out to the Thermador rep assigned to me and haven't heard back from him in over a month. Don't count on support from them.

• User
    2 years ago

RE: Undercounter Microwave.

I think the product designers at Thermadoor didn't think much about the usability of this microwave. Here are the problems:

1. Cooking Time is slow. This unit takes longer to cook or warm than any other microwave I've used.

2. The light is always on and is way too bright. Stand in front of it at night, and it will cast a shadow on a wall 30 ft away. I had to put a darkening film on it, and I cover it with a dishtowel at night. (The picture has film on it.) I called product support, and was told there is no way to adjust it. I'm certain it would have been quite simple to implement a way to have the light off until you needed to use it.

3. The user interface is worthless. There are small black letters on a flat gray screen. If the light is low, the extremely bright display light prevents you from seeing the screen. My workaround was to install a Braille system with little bumpers. (See pictures. Again, darkening film is on.) Without the bumpers, you have to genuflect constantly to this luxury product.

This unit may be an interior designer's dream, but from a user standpoint, it's terrible. It is the worst microwave I've ever owned.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    2 years ago

Thermador doesn't make the drawer microwave. Sharp does. Sharp makes all the drawer microwaves and the other brands just rebadge it with perhaps a slightly different door look.

• Darcy Macrae
    last year

Complete garbage. Our family has one and doesn’t even get hot. We’ve had several people look at it and they can’t fix it.
    JUNK.

• corky1_2008 Harris
    last year

I have a thermador oven and stove top which I bought 15 years ago. I would purchase them again though the star burner still has a cool stop in the center I also heard not to use the cleaning cycle so I haven’t.

• jeffreyrneal
    last year

We have a Thermador rangetop, built in refrigerator and double wall ovens. The fridge and rangetop are still perfect after 15 years. The circuit board on the ovens died and Thermador does not sell a replacement. We sent it to a company called circuit board medics and they repaired it for $625. I would definitely buy Thermador again, although we are considering going to an induction range and Thermador does not make one.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    last year

Thermador might not, but their parent company Bosch makes induction ranges... 800 series in both 30" and 36"; Benchmark in 30"