Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzan30

leaking washing machine?

suzan30
10 years ago

I have a top loading washing machine that is at least ten years old. It has started leaking from the bottom of the machine-but only after the cycle has ended. The amount of water is not like a flood, more like a puddle! I wipe it up and then 20-30 minutes later, I notice more water.

Is it worth calling a repair person in or should I just buy a new machine?

Comments (8)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Replace.

There is a laundry forum to read and discuss new washers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry Forum

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Suzan30,

When asking technical questions about an appliance, the brand and model number of the machine must be included, otherwise anyone attempting to reply can't provide information specific to your unit.

• suzan30
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, the machine in question is a Kenmore, model number 110.92582220. I've pulled it away from the wall and checked all of the pipes while running a cycle and none of them is the source. Water is slowly leaking from underneath but only after the cycle has finished.

I'm in Chicago where appliance repair seems expensive, so I'm wondering if this is worth fixing or if I should just replace it.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I would replace any 10 year old top loader with problems.

It is going to cost ~$70 for a tech to come and diagnose the problem?

Lets say it is something simple that can be fixed for a total of $100.

Being 10 years old there is a good chance something else goes wrong in few months or a year or so.

If this was a 30 year old Kenmore/Whirlpool " they don't make them like they used to" type machine I would consider fixing.

You can get a better SpeedQueen delivered to your door for under $800 with all steel transmission "like the used to make."

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Suzan30, see my reply to your Laundry Room thread. If it's a simple leaking pump, you could fix it yourself for less than $25 (if you're capable or have someone who can help).

$25 DIY repair for a pump trumps $800 for a new Speed Queen, LOL.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I'm in Chicago where appliance repair seems expensive, so I'm wondering if this is worth fixing or if I should just replace it.

Does that sound like someone who is willing/capable or has someone who is capable of DIY appliance repair? LOL

Plus a 10+ year old top loader major failure is imminent if it hasn't already happened.

A $779 Speedqueen trumps constantly fixing a 10+ year old washer.

• suzan30
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm. Not quite sure how my statement about the cost of appliance repair in Chicago translates into "incapable, incompetent, or unwillingness" to do anything!

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Susan,

Did not use the word incompetent you put in quotes.

People who think repair is expensive and have a faulty appliance they want to DIY repair ask how to diagnose and fix an appliance.

If you want to be or are the kind of person that heads to Autozone once a month to fix a vintage car to save the money of buying a new one then go ahead and fix.

I am sorry that I misunderstood.