Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjmwine

cookware

tjmwine
11 years ago

I posted this in the cookware forum but no response so I'm trying it in this forum maybe some of you "foodies" can help ! I am looking to buy a set of cookware and came accros this brand from Italy. It has a nano-ceramic interior, something I haven't seen before. It also seems reasonably priced, $159 for a ten pc set at Bed Bath & Beyond. Dose anyone know anything about this product???

Comments (11)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Not much to go on. Can you at least spot us the brand name?

• eleena
    11 years ago

If it is what I think it is, I gave it as a B-day gift to someone who really wanted it though I was concerned after reading Amazon reviews.

What the reviews said is true. You have to handle it with kid gloves and never use any hard utensils, even wood. The coating is "nano-thin" and will peel off otherwise. The edge coating will peel off no matter what but the food does not touch it.

It seems to cook nicely but I am going to wait till the technology gets better. I find cast iron and good SS pretty non-stick and/or easy to clean. My three Calphalon non-stick pans, that were said to be the best of the best when I bought them years ago, are still in mint condition but they are now sitting in the cupboard. I am not buying another non-stick in the foreseeable future. :-)

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

I am just going to assume it is the "Bialetti" and from what I see on Amazon reviews I would stay away.

Ceramic coated wise I would stick with something like LeCreuset, Staub or even Lodge.
    The best cookware that will last a lifetime and actually get better and better with use is going to be cast iron, enameled cast iron, or carbon steel.

Will cost more than $20 per pan however, BUT in the long run will work better from day one and will only get better with age. There is no other cookware that get better with age and will last a lifetime and can be handed down for generations.

Best thing to do if you need several pots/pans right now is go ahead and buy a cheap set, my recommendation would be the "Kirkland 15 piece set at Costco" it is decent quality, good price hard anodized is only $10 more than the one you are looking at but has much more to it and far better quality.
    ----------------
    ""One 1-quart saucepan with lid
    One 2-quart saucepan with lid
    One 3-quart saucepan with lid
    One 8-quart stockpot with lid
    One 3-quart saute pan with lid
    One 8.5" skillet
    One 10.75" skillet
    One 4.4-quart casserole pan with lid
    One 12" deep round griddle"
    --------------------------

THEN, when you can afford it, even if just one pot or pan a year buy a really nice one to start building up a full set of real quality cookware, like the LeCreuset for pots, their 12qt and larger stock pots are carbon steel with enamel over it, either that or get an All-Clad 12qt stainless stock pot.

For frying pans you simply can not beat either the cast iron or the slightly lighter and even slightly better Carbon Steel DeBuyer pans.
    Then get a carbon steel 14x23" griddle.

The original cheap set from Kirkland which is about the best you are going to find for the price will probably last 5-8 years like ALL non stick stuff does.
    Within 6-10 years at 1 to 2 pieces per year you will have a lifetime set that you will never have to worry about except whom to pass them down to.

http://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Mineral-Element-Frypan-Round/dp/B00462QP0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348321658&sr=8-1&keywords=debuyer+pan

http://www.amazon.com/Chef-King-Gauge-Steel-Griddle/dp/B001BQYS3C

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco Kirkland cookware

• tjmwine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes the name is Bialetti. sorry I left that out. Thanks Eleena and Nubyabiz 1 for your feed back!

• eleena
    11 years ago

I would actually go with Tramontina SS (tri-ply, I think) set from Walmart. As far as I know, it is as good as All Clad, just does not look as fancy. Unlike anodized aluminum, it is induction compatible and DW safe.

There have been countless discussions on Cookware forum.
    The only reason I did not buy it was that I already had two All Clad pieces and wanted to "match" the style. But I did not buy an All Clad set, it seemed like waste of money. I have Lodge cast iron pieces and Demeyere mixed with AC.

• wekick
    11 years ago

I would not buy a set but would buy individual pieces so that each would be best for the task.
    This is a very active cookware forum.

• eleena
    11 years ago

I agree but Tramontina is different.

They read the Cooks Illustrated list of "must have" cookware items and created such set. It included SS, non-stick and (if I am not mistaken) even a cast iron skillet. It was around $250 in 2008.

IDK if they still make the set though.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Yes, Tramontina used to offer just the usual not -so-well-chosen set, and they got dinged for it in a Cook's list and adjusted what they offer (they have two sets of triply available--the old one and the one that follows the Cooks recommendations). If I were in the market for cookware, I'd buy Tramontina, but you need to be sure you get the tri-ply. They have several different lines and the rest are more what you'd expect to find at Walmart.

• clinresga
    11 years ago

This is repetitive from other threads, but my preference is to get "real" All-Clad, but to do so by purchasing irregulars from Cookware & More.

To the best of my knowledge they are still the only authorized vendor of irregular AC. I have multiple pieces from them and in most cases I cannot tell what made them irregular, they are indistinguishable from the first quality AC i've purchased. I had one where there was a flaw that was obvious, and they took it back with absolutely no problems, and then when they received another they sent it back out to me.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Amazon has a 50% sale on some Cuisinart stainless right now.
    For $144 seems like a decent deal

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Cuisinart

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I got the Tramontina revised 10 piece TriPly set from Walmart on-line, and I have used every piece. But I also bought non-stick skillets, 8", 10" and 12", and I use those a lot, too. They are TVS, an Italian induction-capable pan, and I got them at TJ Maxx. It's been over a year, and they show no sign of disintegrating.

The Tramontina is great, but, like All Clad, it's heavy.