Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drbouba_gw

water filtration suggestions needed

drbouba
11 years ago

We are thinking of installing an under-sink water filter but have no idea what do use. Can anyone offer suggestions? My main concerns are not losing water pressure and ease of maintenance.

Comments (7)

• inox
    11 years ago

The problem with water filters are that there are so many that meet the required standards. I decided that the brand that was good enough for Air Force One would suffice. You may have some special problem that would suggest a different model or type of filtration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everpure H 1200 at Fresh Water Systems

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

If you can get by with a basic filter on your cold water line, I suggest the GE filter linked below. I bought mine at HD about 10 months ago and have been very happy with it. Although I'm on decent city water, I just don't like the taste. Now, the water tastes as good as that from my old Britta.

Water pressure is 2.0 and seems to be barely reduced from my hot water line. I have never had a problem with the pressure.

The filter is supposed to last about six months, but mine is still going strong. I think that having two sinks (so not using the filter for all my cold water needs) is extending the life of the filter.

Best part is that it only cost about $50.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE filter

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

We have started using something very similar to what breezy uses and we have been very happy with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3M water filter

• pazul
    11 years ago

We are going to install a whole house filter and have selected an Aqua Pure (3m) AP802 for our needs. A link below to it on Amazon and I think there are reviews of it on HomeDepot. Just make sure to buy the support bracket (AP-MB801) as well given its size/weight as many reviewers commented.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqua Pure AP802

• jakvis
    11 years ago

I would 2nd the Everpure but I think you would be more than satisfied with the H104 and you can always upgrage to the H300 filter if you wanted.
    I've always been a fan of the Everpure filter systems as they are easy to install and change filters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everpure H-104

• MichaelsAd
    11 years ago

If you are looking for an under the sink filtration system, I would have to suggest a reverse osmosis system. Most of the filters mentioned above will remove sediment (make your water clearer), and remove chlorine (to improve taste), but they will not remove things in your water you do not want to ingest. For example, fluoride, pharmaceuticals, fecal matter, jet fuel, and the list goes on. I did hours of research before buying my water filtration system and found there are over 84,000, yes 84,000 contaminants in your water, and the EPA only requires to test for 90. A reverse osmosis is under the sink and will remove anything. I got a system from Aquasafe Systems, which was at a lower cost than most systems, and provides me with alkaline water, which was important to me. I've had their system for over a year now and haven't had any problems. Through my research, I also found out that the army and navy, etc also use reverse osmosis for their water purification, so this helped with my decision. I will put the link below. Hope this info helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquasafe Systems

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I have used Culligan Reverse Osmosis, GE and now I bought a RO from Lowes, Whirpool. We moved 3 times and I put one in each house, under the sink. Culligan was ridiculously expensive. GE (Home Depot) and Whirlpool (Lowes) cost about $100.00. They all work equally well. The filters need to be changed about every 6 months, but the water tastes good and my orchids grow very well with them.

Jane

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource