Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Would you ever install an island hood in a space for a wall hood?

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

We're getting a 48" range top with a griddle. I really like the Zephyr hoods and didn't realize that by going from a 36" range top to the 48" that I'd limit my selection of hoods. We are considering the Imperial but it seemed a bit standard. I noticed that the Zypher trapeze 48" can go up to 1000 with an external blower (we'd prefer internal as our patio is on the other side of the kitchen). However, it is maybe double the cost of the wall hood, Europa Anzio, which probably was our first choice. I also don't know the depth to understand if it would even be appropriate. Wolf told me I should get 24" D, but even the Imperial is only 20 1/8". Wolf also wanted me to get a 54" hood. Not sure if it's because there are only a few in that size and Wolf/Best is one of the supplier but likely they made their hoods that size since they think it is optimal.

Someone else suggested Proline but that model seemed a little clunky like the Best. I had really wanted the hood to be a sculpture like feature.

It didn't seem like Zephyr did custom. Even if they did, would that be prohibitively expensive?

Any other brands/models that I should consider?

THANK YOU!

Comments (9)

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Look at Modernaire.

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks NYCBlue Devil! The contractor nixed the Island vent because of something about the duct work.

Wolf did ultimately say that the Imperial WH2000PS1-TW could work even though it is slightly shallower than preferred. Maybe a little smoke/grease will escape but I think it's OK. We've been living with a recirculating vent for so long, plus the new kitchen will have windows that can be opened.

Will check out your rec. THANK YOU!

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Also, you should do a 54" hood with a 48" rangetop. Six inches larger than the top is best practice, if you can do it. I have a 42" Modernaire hood over my 36" range.

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, the cabinets are in the factory already and couldn't be changed - we checked today. The Modernaires, look wonderful. I asked about one in the photo gallery but they said it was too expensive for them to make. So why taunt us with it? :) However, DH found a Zephyr that I had missed and it is deeper than the Imperials. It is

http://zephyronline.com/products/cheng/okeanito_wall

I'm still checking out its feature's and functionality and hoping that I can work in a little discount from the appliance store since this plus the range top and other misc appliances will add up.

I also wonder if there are any look alikes that are less expensive since this one blows my hood budget out the window (pardon the pun) However, it is a key design feature of the kitchen so I do think it is worth it. And 48" is the largest it goes so I don't feel that bad about the cabinets not being able to make room for 54".

Thank you for your help! Those Modernaires do look lovely

By the way, NYC, did you put lighting inside of your glass cabinets? I like the idea but decided not to because it will be a while before I accumulate a showcase of teapots there. Did you put undermount lighting under all of your cabinets? I'm wondering if I'll really need it under everything but then it might look dumb if I only have it on the inner part of my L

Txs

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Yes, we have lights inside the top if our uppers. We only use when we have company. We don't have all of our display items yet either but installing any lighting later us more complicated so we decided to do it a
    at the beginning.

Yes, we have under cabinet lights in all cabinets. It is an absolute necessity. It provides the task lighting you need when prepping. Do it wherever you can
    Not sure why you can't have it everywhere but looks should not be your concern here, in my opinion

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Yes, we have lights inside the top if our uppers. We only use when we have company. We don't have all of our display items yet either but installing any lighting later us more complicated so we decided to do it a
    at the beginning.

Yes, we have under cabinet lights in all cabinets. It is an absolute necessity. It provides the task lighting you need when prepping. Do it wherever you can
    Not sure why you can't have it everywhere but looks should not be your concern here, in my opinion

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

If you have cabinets flanking both sides of the vent then 48" will be ok.

• kaseki
    10 years ago

For large and sculpted, check out the link.

kas

Here is a link that might be useful: handcrafted hoods

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all very much! NYC, I could put in under all cabinets. I just didn't know if it was a waste of money because I don't envision myself working in all of the areas.

Will ask about adding light to the glass cabinets.

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design