Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saxmaan1

Stainless Steel Ranges - Cleaning ??

saxmaan1
14 years ago

After being in a bunch of open houses lately, I notice many SS ranges are really discolored. And they are the expensive models. These ranges are beautiful when I look at them in the store brand new, but do these things look nasty after several years use? What should I expect? I am looking for a range, and currently have an ancient one made by Caloric, but the paint has always cleaned well. I was considering Stainless, but now I am wondering. And if you need to scrub the surface clean with one of the sponges with the green scrub surface, do you wind up making scratches to the surface?

Comments (21)

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Green scrubby, scratches, big time -- will definitely scratch most metals and absolutely glassware.

Blue scrubby, scratches, but if you're careful the pattern won't show on S/S. Will scratch glassware with repeated use.

White scrubby, generally safe on most glassware.

I've been a longtime fan of "scrubbing powder" with oxalic acid to help clean and remove stains, such as Zud and now Barkeepers' Friend. Always check the surface in a relatively hidden spot before you go great guns with anything, even if it says "safe for..." on the packaging.

• saxmaan1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think cleaning "enamel" surface ranges are easier. Stainless is a pain in the butt. Maybe is it the super glossy finish of enamel? Having had both, this is my opinion. I do not know what the silver bullet is for stainless, maybe superheated pressurized steam from a real steam source? The gimmick steam cleaners for $19.99 on TV advertised do not work (the Billy Mays type stuff).

• alwaysfixin
    14 years ago

Saxmaan1, if you want to use that green scrubby on a range, you should choose a Bluestar range with cast iron top. As you noted, stainless steel scratches and gets dull. Also, the downside of the enamel surface you mentioned is that it always seems to show every crumb and speck and smudge. Cast iron has neither of these problems.

I am linking to a video at the Eurostoves website called "Easy Clean up" which shows how to clean a Bluestar cast iron rangetop (with the green scrubby). A little later in the video, it shows a comparison to stainless steel tops with the scratching and dulling that you've noticed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eurostoves Vids - Click on One Titled EASY CLEAN UP

• kaismom
    14 years ago

FYI.... I am not a fastidious cook. My appliances get cleaned once per week by the cleaning people, no more. My Viking with enamel color (not stainless) always looks pretty good. The stainless DW always looks streaked and dirty.

I "pay" to have my stainless BBQ cleaned once a year. It is such a PITA that I refused to do it after a few times. Yes, it looks "nasty" if you would like to call it that. But these are things that are meant to be "hot" and used. We use our BBQ minimal 2 or 3 times per week through out the year.

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

Amazing how the latest trend Stainless creates more work keeping them clean looking. I never once had to clean the outside of my white fridge unless something spilled on it, now the SS stuff is perpetual work. It is nice to see SS finally showing signs of going out of style. OK everyone, go buy new appliances....

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

Interesting - I find it really easy to clean my Bertazzoni SS cooktop. I've never needed anything more than a wet white scrubby, followed by a wipe up with a microfibre cloth. Certainly beats my old glasstop electric.

And we are pretty messy cooks. Never had any difficulty. What are you cooking that makes such difficult stains? Maybe my repertoire is just different!

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

I've read on several sites and in magazines that you should coat the stainless steel with petroleum jelly to make it easier to clean. It makes sense to me since it will fill in the grooves in the finish. I haven't done it yet but am going to. My new dishwasher and stove have stainless steel. My stove has a black enamel top and so I bought a black refrigerator because it would be easier to clean. Since I bought it several months after the other appliances I knew I didn't want stainless. I do have one burner on the stove that I can't get shiny. It looks dirty and I've tried just about everything carefully, not wanting to scratch it. I don't know what's on it.

• mrsr
    14 years ago

Pet. Jelly...sounds like it will melt, run, and be a big mess, and crumbs and the like will stick to it.

• basilisk
    14 years ago

My understanding is that stainless steel will actually discolour over time due to high heat - which is why some do not recommend it for range backsplashes and range surfaces (plus it scratches) - I guess this is why Viking uses a black enamel surface on their sealed burner series.

• saxmaan1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This came from the Viking Site...Now why would one buy stainless after reading this...is is this bad? Clean up immediately or it will stain!!!!! YIKES

Stainless Steel Surfaces
    For everyday use, start with hot, soapy water and a soft cloth. Wipe dry. Finish with a damp micro-fiber cloth. Make sure to rub in the direction of the grain/brushed finish. If anything acidic lands on it (lemon, tomato sauce, etc.) clean up immediately because it will stain

• louisianalover
    14 years ago

I am new to owning a stainless steel cooktop. So far I haven't had any issues with cleaning it. I was given a bottle of Stainless Steel Brightener made by Cerama Bryte when we bought the cooktop that says it removes heat discoloration which to me means the yellow stains mentioned above. I had a black stove in a previous house and I wouldn't say it was hard to clean but it seemed to show a lot of dust, streaks, etc., and you really had to keep after it to keep it looking good. I don't find that so with the stainless steel. Another product that I found is great is a stainless steel cleaner made by ZEP. It "cleans, shines, protects, and removes fingerprints and build-up." Love that product when cleaning all my stainless steel. Works like magic on the fronts of my SS dishwasher, wall oven, and microwave. I spray a little onto a microfiber cloth and just wipe.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

I've left tomato on my Berta. overnight, and simply wiped it off with a sponge the next day - no stain, no marks. I don't get it. Are Viking using an inferior grade of steel or something?
    Seriously, I've managed with water, a white scrubby and a microfibre floth for over a year now. Once, and once only, needed BKF in one spot.
    Is the Berta finished differently? It does have a 'brushed' type finish I think.

• mrsr
    14 years ago

The Berta stainless is beautiful, I would say, yes Berta has a superior finish over Viking. although many complain about the small oven and marginal performance.

• queequeg99
    14 years ago

I don't know if this would apply to ranges (perhaps because of nearby high heat):

My stainless steel countertop fabricator uses a regular sponge to do spot cleanings when he spills or perhaps a rags if something dries. If things get really bad (i.e. scratches), he uses a Scotch Bright pad. You need to use this with the grain of the brush pattern that is already in the steel. I saw him take out scratches in a sample that he made with some 16p nails. Impressive. The part that might not apply to ranges because of heat is the final treatment after you've gotten the gunk off: orange oil. He actually used a product called Orange Glo. Spray a little on and wipe as much off as you can with a paper towel. It must be a volatile product because after about 10 minutes, you can't feel any residue. However, subsequent cleanings are much easier and fingerprints don't show nearly as much.

• castironcook2
    14 years ago

So, how about the stainless underlay on the BlueStar drop-in cooktop? Does it stain easily? (Conundrum: "stainless" staining?) How easy is the clean-up?

• socalusa
    14 years ago

I cna't speak to the BlueStar appliances, but I just have to chime in here and say that I do lkie the look of SS appliances in the right setting (esp. with cherry cabinets, which we have.) We opted to get SS range, microhood and FD fridge.

I am just having a hard time dealing with the smudge factor on the SS. When I had my porcelain and textured appliances there was never a glaring smudge - whatever smear you had could be cleaned up with a spritz of Pine-Sol and a damp cloth - maybe 2-3x a week.

With the SS I have to use a lightly soapy sponge. rinse it and then use a "special SS" cleaner, spray it on or use a SS wipe and then try and polish it out streak-free with a soft cloth or micro cloth every single time I use it. Sometimes I take a paper towel and use it to open the fridge or microwave just to avoid getting fingerprints on the metal. (And you have to be sure you wipe it in the same direction as the grain.) Sigh.

It's just much ado about something that should really be nothing in this day and age.

• mayflower1032
    14 years ago

geesh, I am looking for a fridge and range. I was turned onto the NXR range and Samsung fridge, but now I am thinking the cleaning factor is huge. Is SS falling out of grace. Some new homes I have been in, SS is not the color of choice in the model displays. I have been seeing more colors. Are we just a bunch of sheep following the latest trends. It turns me off thinking of buying SS now, and then to have it out of style to boot.

• socalusa
    14 years ago

It's not out of style, I was just posting my own personal feelings about the upkeep. SS is used in top chef kitchens worldwide, so it certainly has a lot of merit. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference, some things just require a bit more upkeep to keep them looking nice.

• yourchef51
    14 years ago

We had a Thermador cooktop in our old house that has some splatter and stuff caked on. I tried using oven cleaner to get them off but it never worked well. We got some barkeepers friend and my wife cleaned it while getting the house ready to sell and it worked amazingly. I'd try it, for only 2 bucks you can't lose. I wish we had known of it earlier.

• pvrick
    14 years ago

I have the Blue Star drop in 36 inch cooktop. I only use light soap and water to clean it. Occasionally, oil will burn on around the stainless near the drip pans. I have tried all mild soaps and nothing helped. Didn't want to use Barkeepers freind due to scratching.

When this occurs, I use a very light spray of Easy Off oven cleaner (safe for stainless on the can) and lightly scrub with a non scratch blue scotch brite sponge. Works great.

Other than than, no problem cleaning the Blue Star and I am known to be a messy cook.(just ask my wife)