Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannhallmark

new range for home based wedding cake business

joannhallmark
9 years ago

I have a home based wedding cake business and need to replace my 36" DCS dual fuel convection range. It has been well used for 15 years, but has had many issues. I'm not married to any of its features, and would love some expert input as to what I should be considering. My current oven will hold an 18" round cake pan, and I do need to retain that capacity. Valuable features would include even and accurate oven temperatures, easy cleaning, easy leveling, reliability. Thank you in advance for any advice you have to offer.

Comments (5)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

If it weren't for the Wolf dual fuel's porcelain issues, I would recommend that. That is the only dual fuel range that I've heard raves about the oven performance. Unfortunately because of the chipping issues I could not recommend it currently. Since I'm not aware of any other dual fuel ranges that are universally liked I don't have any specific recommendations, sorry. It seems like most of the ovens on the market lots of people really like are wall ovens.

All I can say is that since this is for a business you really want to make sure whatever you buy works well. If I were in your position I would be sure to try baking in the range before you buy. Often it can be hard to find "live" ranges - but try your best.

If I were in your position I would look at GE Monogram, Electrolux Icon, KitchenAid, JennAir, Dacor, and Thermador.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I did wedding cakes for 11 years out of my home (retired 2 years ago). I have a GE glass top electric stove (circa 1995) and it held 18" rounds. I really never had any trouble baking my cakes in it. I also have an older (gold!) GE range in my basement that I used for wedding cakes (one set in upstairs oven, one set in basement oven). Worked well for me. We are changing out or stoves right now. Putting the GE flat top in the basement, getting rid of old gold, and putting a Bluestar 30"RNB in the kitchen with a 30" Bluestar electric wall oven. Both of these ovens hold a FULL sheet pan (only ovens in the industry). Although I don't do cakes as a business any more, I'm totally excited about the size of these ovens!

This post was edited by deb52899 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 8:28

• joannhallmark
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks SO much for your assistance. I am not completely convinced that I need dual fuel. . .I've read a lot of comments that lead me to believe that I don't need to fear a gas oven. Based on that information, is there something else you would recommend?

• joannhallmark
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deb52899, it sounds like you have some exciting baking in store!! I wish I could consider wall ovens, but alas I can't afford that much construction. So my "given" is that whatever range I choose must be 36" and fit in the hole my old one occupies.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

If you get all gas you will need to have a new outlet put in... shouldn't be too expensive though. I personally think electric ovens are slightly better in terms of even-ness and precision than gas. Since you already have the hookups, I figure why not. Gas ovens work well also though.