Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NXR 36" gas 6-burner vs. Bertazzoni 36" dual-fuel 5-burner

Posted by skraft (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 22:36

We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen, and only recently started the appliance research process. What we've found is that for any oven/range with what Consumer Reports calls "the semi-professional look", we're talking $3000+ (like, GE Cafe, Viking D3, etc.). Then I stumbled across the NXR and Berta reviews here and elsewhere. They seem like a pretty great deal, considering the price point, and they're both super good-looking.

I like to cook, but I'm not a chef by any means, nor do I bake with any frequency. However, I'm looking for a range that I'll enjoy using, enjoy looking at, will be reliable, and will provide us with good resale value. We're not in our "forever home," and hope to move in the next 3-5 years. Our place is also in a hip, transitional/entry-level neighborhood in Los Angeles, so appearances matter (for resale!), and there are lots of foodie-type potential buyers who would appreciate a good range (but no one would expect a Wolf or Thermador around here).

Our current kitchen hasn't been updated since 1962 (literally), so I've been burning stuff in a KitchenAid double oven that's a scant 22.5" wide. The only ovens we could buy and slide in cost $2,700, and we'd have to buy an additional cook-top, so $3K for an NXR or Berta seem like a steal. Trust me, anything would be better than what I've been working with, but I don't want to waste any dough (pun intended).

Can't wait for your thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NXR 36" gas 6-burner vs. Bertazzoni 36" dual-fuel 5-burner

P.S. Costco is carrying the NXR for $2,700 currently, which is a HUGE incentive for me (bc Costco will take ANYTHING back that you don't like). However, the appliance place where we saw the Berta said there's a special currently where the Berta is $2,999 but they'll give us a free range hood (also, the Berta is dual-fuel). Sigh.

o

Eagle Rock, Silver Lake, Highland Park, and Echo Park.

I would say these neighborhoods are Berta territory.

Maybe Echo Park being Berta aspirational LOL.

o
RE: NXR 36" gas 6-burner vs. Bertazzoni 36" dual-fuel 5

Don't know if the NXR could be said to boost resale values of the house more than the Berta ranges or vice versa. Neither brand is well known.

The Bertas do look spiffier and you can get them with colored finishes.. The NXR is, frankly, plain and definitely industrial looking.

THe NXR might look fine, though. Have you seen the Fine Homebulding spread that I've linked to below? It's an article about a transitional neighboorhood reno (Bay Area, though) with a 36" NXR and a Kobe hood. Gives an idea of possibilities.

The Berta range and hood combo sounds like quite the deal. Is that dual-fuel Berta a 36" or a 30" unit? Price seems way low for a 36" dual fuel Berta. Last I recall hearing here was that a 36" all-gas Berta could be had for $2999 but that the dual fuel models were a lot more expensive. Also, what do you know about the hood that goes with the Berta range?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Homebuilding: Alex Nerland's kitchen with NXR

This post was edited by JWVideo on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 18:57

o

I love love love that kitchen, JWvideo! So pretty.

There are a range of Berta hoods that we could get for free (ku48pro1X being the most expensive at $1499), OR we could get 50% off of any other Berta hoods (value between $300 and $1100).

HA HA, deageaux - pretty much exactly right. Don't want to over-improve, but want to enjoy a nice kitchen before the next remodel!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here