Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

bosch nit8666 vs bosch nit5665uc induction - xpost

lisa_a
9 years ago

I had settled on the Bosch NIT5665UC induction but since it's taking a little longer to start our remodel than we anticipated, we may not be able to get this model anymore. Our $ales rep is checking stock for us.

As a back-up, she showed us the Bosch NIT8666. The appearance is slightly different, as is the control panel area, and the large center hob is 9/12 instead of 9/11 but other than that, I'm having a hard time understanding the differences between these two.

I'd love it if someone here more knowledgeable about induction cook tops could help me out. TIA!

Bosch NIT5665UC

Bosch NIT8666

xpost to the appliance forum.

(Measuring my pans won't help since they won't work on induction. I need to buy new plans - yay, finally ditching my college era pans - I just haven't done it yet.)

This post was edited by lisa_a on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 22:07

Comments (13)

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

For the 800 series, the center hob has 3 sections. For the 500 only 2.

The 800 has AutoChef. The 500 does not.

I have something similar to AutoChef on my CookTek. I don't use it that much and would not pay extra for it. IIRC, the Bosch requires a special pan for the AutoChef to work. (It monitors the temperature of the pan with a sensor).

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, I poured over the specs for each and can't seem to find the info that says that the center burner for the 8666 has 3 sections. The drawing makes it look like it has an 8"/9"/12" configuration but all the info says 9"/12", nothing about 8".

I also found out that the 5665 has the overflow detection but couldn't find that the 8666 offers that. I'd rather have that over the AutoChef feature. I also think a 11" hob of the 5665 is the better size for my needs.

btw, the new 8666 model is actually cheaper than the retired 5665 model, which makes me think that it's actually a tier lower than before. I know that when I looked at the 5665 a few months ago, the 800 in that same series was more $$.

My appliance rep can't get the 5665 model anymore but I was able to find it - for a great price, too, plus free shipping, plus a Bosch rebate - through ApplianceConnection. I ordered it and it's on its way. Yay!

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

can't seem to find the info that says that the center burner for the 8666 has 3 sections.

Page 2 of the Use and Care manual.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

weedmeister, could you please help me understand what the 3 sections means? Whatever it means, how does it affect the function? What is affected? thanks

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

"can't seem to find the info that says that the center burner for the 8666 has 3 sections."

Page 2 of the Use and Care manual.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, weedmeister, I saw that diagram but no where in the manual or in any of the on-line spec pages, including Bosch's, does it say that the center element is 8/9/12. They *all* say 9/12 as if it has 2 sections. The disconnect from the drawing to the text is what has me confused. Is the drawing incorrect or is the text? I guess the only way to find out is to call Bosch.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

With the 3 sections, it apparently senses the pan size and activates each section as needed.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not questioning how it works, just whether it's a 2 zone or 3 zone burner. All on-line spec and description pages say "dual zone." Nothing says it's a triple zone. Only the photo shows a triple zone. Even the rep at the appliance store didn't think it had more than a dual zone based on the literature she had.

As I wrote, I think the only way to find out is to contact Bosch but since I've already purchased the 5665, I'll leave that to someone else to figure out. :)

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Damn and blast, the on-line dealer can't get the discontinued Bosch cook top either!

But it's all going to work out. My concerns about the center burner on the NIT8666 were resolved after a call directly to Bosch. Despite the literature stating that it's a 9/12 dual zone, the PotSense feature will allow the use of a pan from 8" to 12" and everything in-between. You were right, weedmeister! :-)

Little wonder I was confused, though. The rep wasn't sure either and had to go look it up. You'd think they'd be more well versed on the basics of their products, wouldn't you? No matter, I have my answer. Hope it helps someone else!

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

A little deeper in the user manual, there is a discussion of boosting that shows the 3 sections as well. Apparently they have separate boost control, which would probably complicate things a bit.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, bother, it's going to be enough of a learning curve as it is. Oh, well, learning new things keeps the mind young, right?

Decades ago when I received my first sewing machine, it came with free sewing lessons. I still have the sample pieces I sewed along with the teaching manual. I used them for years as a reminder of how to use a feature of my machine (which would seem so simple compared to today's machines). I wish that were the case with new appliances but no, we get to read the manual and burn dinner more often than we'd like as we learn. :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

That's funny - as the owner/user of a much-"loved" Bosch induction cooktop (imagine I would love ANY induction cooktop) I have to tell you a funny story about my sewing machine. My parents bought me a sewing machine when I was in college. I chose a Kenmore which came with many "cams" which were these little devices you inserted to make designs with the thread - flowers, zig-zags and the like. Well, I used the sewing machine for years, but never ever used the cams. So now, whenever we are looking at buying something, like a dishwasher, where each higher model has more "bells &whistles", we just look at each other and say "remember the sewing machine", which is our reminder to only get those features we really need!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can relate! I purposely chose the GE Profile oven that won't talk to my cell phone. I can't imagine the need for it - maybe I'm not imaginative enough? - but I also don't want to add in another feature that could break and cause issues. I'm a believer in the KISS rule.

My machine has cams, too, but I think I only used the one for button holes and even then, only a few times. I never could figure out out to make it work right so I continued to do button holes the same way I learned how in my HS sewing class. I much preferred installing zippers for that reason. :)