Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viking range 1 years old

Posted by bobbie46 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 22:01

After much thinking about my previous rambling question, I realize it boils down to this: can a 15 year old Viking range be refurbished and provide years of useful service and what might it cost?
Secondly, same question about the 15 year old Vent-A-Hood. I've already replaced the light kit and plugged it in and the two squirril cages spin. Can it be cleaned? Is it a good piece of equipment?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Bobbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viking range 1 years old

As to things that can fail on an old range - ignitors ( top and oven) convection fan motor, hinges, thermostat, and electronics - like the main control board. I think you might want to contact a local authorized Viking repair person to get an idea about the potential costs involved for refurbishment and maintenance, and to confirm parts availability. I have a Viking and the hinges have failed and they don't offer replacements anymore.

o

Consumer Reports gives the average life expectancy of a gas range at 15 years. So consider that the range has met it's maximum life in any decision to continue with parts replacements.

It doesn't matter how much you paid for a range as all of them are made up with most functional parts that are common throughout the industry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance Life Expectancies

o

Thanks Barryv and jakvis. I appreciate yur input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here