Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruster_gw

Kitchen mistake - my refrigerator - what would you do?

Ruster
9 years ago

We renovated our house, including kitchen, about three years ago. We chose mid to high-end finishings - and had a budget to work from. White, inset cabinets, dark soapstone counters, nickel lighting and handles, center island with prep sink, and lots of light! It's my dream kitchen - except for one thing!

My appliance budget was $15,000 and so I decided to select a mix of appliances that mostly stayed within budget. I did much research on this forum and here is where I landed - all stainless steel:

Wolf Gas Range - 36"
U-Line Beverage Fridge
Electrolux Wall Electric Oven and Microwave
Kitchen Aid Dishwasher (Panel Covered)
Samsung French Door Refrigerator - 36" full depth - RFG293HA

Guess what my biggest regret is?

I HATE THE FRIDGE!! It is awful - squeaky, junky, not substantial, pieces break often. (I hate the Electrolux microwave too, but love the wall oven, and so it's not really a big deal and can always be changed down the line.)

Guess what I wish I had bought instead? - A 42" Built-in fridge.

M kitchen looks so high end that to have such a junky fridge just does not fit in - and more importantly, my entire family hates the way it feels/works. I had no interest in a built-in fridge originally because the area where our fridge fits makes the full-depth fridge look only counter depth and so I figured it was more practical (and much, much cheaper) to buy a full-depth. But, when I now use built-in fridges at friends' homes, I can feel how much sturdier and more solid they are than mine.

I hate, hate, hate it. And, now with the kitchen design clearly finished, I could never fit a 42" built-in fridge. I could do a 36" built-in but I fear it would be way too small for my family of four (we do not have much room for a second fridge in the basement).

So - what would you do? Do you have recommendations for better quality fridges that are not built-in? Would you buy a 36" built-in?
I want quality, sturdiness, and great look with the rest of my beautiful kitchen.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• allnames
    9 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen -- soon to start. We are going with a 36" French door built-in by Liebherr -- it was a compromise from the Sub Z since we couldn't really justify the extra $$. Thermador also has a BI, (or integrated) that's nice, though my husband didn't like it. Fortunately we are lucky in that we have room in our basement for our old (well, actually it's pretty new) non-counter depth fridge. You've probably thought of it, but do you have room in your garage for your current fridge?

• paugust
    9 years ago

You could go to counter-depth; fisher paykel makes a sleek 36" that I am considering. And, if you need more space, replace the u-line with a drawer fridge/freezer.

Like you, I don't really have room for a 42" built-in (and it wasn't in the budget), so I'm exploring all other options.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest a Fisher and Paykel, too.

Paugust, do you know if the crisper drawers open all the way with the doors only at 90 degrees? I've never been able to see one in person to find out.

• Ruster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is all really helpful. I'm going to start my research. Thank you.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I'll also suggest looking at Liebherr. We've had ours about 18 months and love it!
    Integrates beautifully with surrounding cabinetry, super quiet, and keeps produce fresh a long time. Makes great little ice cubes too ;)

• paugust
    9 years ago

Kiwigem, I did not check that out at the showroom, as we'll have a little clearance on the side of our fridge. Sorry!

• stevep2005
    9 years ago

I don't know that you made a kitchen mistake - you made a compromise. The SZ fridge I love cost more than your entire budget (and mine) so I bought a JA CD FD. The part that I hated right off was that the large drawer lid does not stay attached - so I reattach it when it falls off and I curse. It's what we do sometimes, we make compromises and deal with them.

You can certainly go out now and spend an additional $10k on a lovely 36" SZ, you only live once - or take comfort in the compromise you made for the overall budget and wonderful kitchen.

Whatever decision you make, don't let the run of the mill fridge sabotage the overall enjoyment and pride in your kitchen.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I made the compromise, too. I am planning a renovation, but I needed a new refrigerator immediately. I had a side by side KitchenAid that I wanted to shoot and put it out of it's misery. It froze everything in the frig compartment. My current cabinetry wouldn't hold any of the built in models.

I purchased a 36" KitchenAid Architect II Series French door refrigerator. I couldn't hold out for the Subzero or a Liebherr. I needed a new fridge yesterday. I started to buy the Bosch, but cancelled the order when I researched Bosch's reliability.

I've had the KitchenAid for a couple of months now. I'm really happy with it. No problems to date. Plus, the grey interior with LED lights looks like Star Trek. I swear I hear it sing when I open it. Some reviewers complain about the sounds it makes. It does hum a bit, but nothing to loud. My experience has been good and I can recommend it. I certainly think it is a lot better than the Samsung or LG. Ask me in 10 years.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Sorry to hijack the thread but why do you hate the electrolux microwave? We just ordered one :(

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>I purchased a 36" KitchenAid Architect II Series French door refrigerator. I couldn't hold out for the Subzero or a Liebherr. I needed a new fridge yesterday. I started to buy the Bosch, but cancelled the order when I researched Bosch's reliability.

The Bosch and the KA are the same